MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
my ponies have escaped!!!
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is mostly aimed at our friends in the US but i would be interested on other peoples also

I'm curious as to what was happening at this time with you guys on here, its just ive been reading through the many articles on the net re that horrific day and the whole story behind it and the possible security faults etc.

Just curious as to what people were doing - were you in the area, were you on mini runs

I know my friend at work was stood at the top of the World Trade Centre on September 11 2000 and shown me the pics - sheeeesh.

I dont mean this to be a really morbid thread but it really has brought a togetherness with everyone i think and as a majority of mini2ers here use this website to post daily stuff i just wondered what if any threads or posts were put on here.

Peace & Love

scooby

·
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had just go back from Corfu - dumped my bags down and saw it on the news.

At first thought which muppet has crashed into the tower you know its not like you cant miss it - then it just got worse and worse.

It was like watching a film but with real people involved.

·
XYZ
271 Posts
I was still in college. My English class was in the library on the computers. A mate of mine on the computer opposite me was on CNN.com when a picture & breaking news flashed up showing a plane had smashed into the WTC.

In my next physics class I told everyone and my teacher was suprised when I told him the plane was no small prop plane but a jet of course still at this time everyone thought it was an accident

On the train home I saw another mate who told me he had heard that 2 planes had hit the WTC and one had struck the Pentagon - I didn't believe him and thought that it was still just the one and that it was a case of Chinese whispers - making a mountain out of a mole hill.

When I got in and swtiched on the TV - well thats when everything changed.

:bone: Pat :bone:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Incidentally, I just read in the local paper that it was Hiroshima Day on 6th August. I felt a bit ignorant I didn't know that. Wonder how long it will be before things like 9/11 can be overlooked so easily, when you consider the scale of Hirishima, it might be sooner than we'd like to think?

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
I was on the phone to a friend, about 12PM (long before I came to M2), when her Mum yelled out that a plane had hit the Trade Tower.

We originally thought it was an accident.

I will never forget watching it all happening on tele that night.

·
Chaotic Entity
129 Posts
I was in DC, going to class at GWU. My class ended at 9:15 and there were a bunch of people gathered around some TVs in the lobby of the building my class was in. My friend and I were pretty shocked about it and thought it was an accident but we had to go to another class so we went. In class (it was a history class) the professor didn't really know what was going on so he didn't say anything about it really. After the class was coming to an end someone came through the door and said that the school was being evacuated.

I went up to the ground floor and the city was in chaos. It seemed like everyone was on the streets, and the streets were jam packed with cars. (If you didn't know, GW is right in downtown DC, about 4 or so blocks from the White House). My friend and I walked back to our dorm but when we got there we found out it was being evacuated too because of a bomb threat, I'd still like to find the :bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad::bad: that called that one in. So we stood across the street for a while, half afraid, half sad about the whole thing. Oh yeah, and while we were walking back someone told us about the plane that had crashed into the pentagon, and we could see a little bit of smoke in the air coming from that direction.

The city was still packed, the roads were jammed and there were tons of people on the street. There was a massive line at the payphone across the street with people trying to call home because their cell phones weren't working. My roommate and I ducked across the street into the Ritz Carlton and into the bar to watch what was going on on TV, at that time the buildings were still up, later a friend of mine saw me on the street and we talked for a while. He told me that both of the buildings had fallen down, I didn't believe him.

Finally we got back into our room. We just turned the TV on and watched in disbelief all day. Oh and the day before I had told my girlfriend back home that I might be going up to the pentagon that day to get my haircut. There's a bus that takes you over to Henderson Hall from the Pentagon and I usually go there to get my haircut because its a heck of a lot cheaper than getting it cut in DC. Well that caused quite a ruckus in my family, but it all got sorted out. Later in the afternoon the city was cleared out. It felt like a sunday, when barely anyone is on the street and there's hardly any cars. It was very disconcerting. It was weird because my life, and my military career at that, had been so normal, just like I had planned everything. Everything has been so different since then, its almost like a totally different world. It's as if the entire world experienced a paradigm shift that day.

·
Ride The Dragon!
304 Posts
I... uhh... was nursing a hangover. I was asleep when my step-mom said "Wake up, we're under attack!". At first, I thought 'that's nice', and started to go back to sleep. Luckily, the one or two brain cells that were still functioning told me something wasn't right, and made me get up and turn on the TV.

My brother was actually working across the river in New Jersey, and he saw the second tower go down. It was at this time he decided that now would be a good time to go home (we lived about an hour and a half form NYC). His supervisor told him that they were recommending that everyone stayed put for the time being. He then reiterated that he wasn't asking, he was telling them that he was going home!

About a week after the attack, I had to fly back to England as I'm military and this was where I was stationed at the time (I was on leave at home). Security through JFK wasn't as bad as I would have thought, but going through security in Brussels (it was a Priceline flight, so the trip was NYC - Brussels - London) was... tight, to say the least. They spent about a half hour turning on and testing all of my electronic toys.

I gotta say though, when we got back to England, the outpouring of sympathy was amazing. For the next couple of weeks, someone from the US couldn't buy themselves a pint in a pub! Even had one guy in tears saying how horrible that it all was give me a hug at a club!

-Paul!

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
This one I'll always remember :(
I was in the companys Riga newsroom surfing the net at the time and since they hadn't switched on their reuters feed I had to inform the newhounds about the breaking news :rolleyes: Took some convincing for them to turn Reuters on :mad: :mad:
Once they did it was all action stations :p

I then an hour later was catching an airplane to Stockholm :eek: :eek:
Luckily we weren't grounded :)

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Was online when I found out, then ran down and turned on the news to see the second plane hit the second tower...what I was seeing was not registering at all...when I heard about the Pentagon (2-3 blocks from where hubby works) I really fa-reaked.

Called him, he was tryin to get back home, spent like 2 hours and went like 4 blocks, finally he went back to his office, then took a bus home.

He called a close friend who was working in the Pentagon, got through to his cell phone, and found that Jeffy was just walking sort of in shock with the droves, he went to a co-workers house in Arlington. (Jeffy later said he heard the plane hit the Pentagon, sounded like a bomb went off, he said their was no clue to indicate a plane slammed into it...when he went out and looked back he saw smoke from the other side)

Calls to and from friends who work in DC, there were so many false reports about State Dept getting hit, etc. Dad called worried about my hubby (bc hubby used to be at state dept) though it was a false alarm.

My dad walked over to the Pentagon later and watched it burn, hubby said they could all smell the smoke. (Dad and stepmom live and work in DC)

The bridge from National Airport was full of people walking from it to the Virginia side, near the Pentagon, and bellhops pushing luggage :confused:

I think I was glued to the news and waiting for my baby girl to get home and hubby to walk in as well...

It was a day of shock, saddness, horror and grief for everyone I think. :( Neighbors were out talking,

my friend Robin was at work on a conference call with a company in one of the towers when the line went dead..

weirdest thing after that was how empty the sky's became, save for the fighter jets flyin over...

and everyone had a story of someone they knew...

:( sad :(

I told so many loved ones that I loved them that day...

·
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sheesh MP = it was unbeleivable for us over the pond watching it - seeing it happen in a place your used to all your life words cannot describe.

i think this is something no one will or could ever forget

·
World Wide Flying Ace
830 Posts
G/f and I were out at a craft fair and saw it on a little TV someone had on. I've got to say we didn't believe what we were seeing, it seemed so unreal. It was much later in the evening when we watched it again on the news that the full impact of it sank in.
It was almost as if although you could see it, your brain just couldn't process the images.

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
yeah shock and disbelief, the brain just didn't want to handle all the horror I guess

A little boy, in 8th grade here in our town of Reston, VA lost his mommy on the plane, she died going into the Pentagon. Such a sad story. She kissed him goodbye that morning, got on the plane to attend a conference for work, and he was at his school when this all happened. The boy's parent's were divorced, I think he went back with his dad, or another relative, I know the community was raising money for his future. :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just watching TV when first heard of it. Couple of hours later I was having a dinner, and at the same time the other tower collapsed (saw it live from TV). I was shocked and suddenly felt very sick and couldn´t eat anymore. :( It was so unreal.

·
minimalist
585 Posts
i was at work, about a block and a half to the north east of the towers, right by city hall park. we had the whole floor of our building at the time, but the windows closest to where i was are facing north. we heard a LOUD bang, looked at each other and wondered what the heck? thunder's not usually that loud, and it was a sunny morning. we started seeing paper flying around in the air outside the window, like huge confetti, and we see loads more of it mirrored in the windows of the building across the street. so we run around to the west side of the office and look out the window. people are running around saying it was an explosion, some say they think they heard a plane, some say they think they saw a small plane flying past just before the bang, but no one really knows. all we see is the huge hole in the side of the north tower, thick black smoke, and people in the windows, above and below the hole. there's holes on the side of the building as well, so it looks like an explosion happened inside, plus the whole is much bigger than you'd expect a small plane to be able to make. but then it looks like it's facing -inwards- so was it a plane afterall? people start getting on the phones, and we're all looking out the windows. then we notice, shocked and horrified, that people in the tower are starting to jump, or fall. we're close enough that we can see them well, almost make out their faces. you really can't fathom how bad it must be over there, it looks like a movie, like it's not really happening. still, everyone at the time assumes it's a terrible accident. then i learn we have two colleages at "windows on the world", the restaurant at the top of the north tower, for an expo - a girl who had just been there with them but is now back at our office is on the phone with them. we're wondering if they'll be able to get to the roof to get picked up by helicopters. then, the second tower explodes, a huge fireball and our building shakes, you can feel the impact. our building is situated so that we can't see the plane that had approached, but i'm just standing there dumbfounded for a second. debris is filling the air again and a huge chunk of something (engine or wheel or part of the wing) flies right past our window and hits the building to the north of us, knocking a big corner off it. that's it, this is no accident, we're under attack and start we heading for the stairwells. i don't really remember much from walking down the 16 flights of stairs, not sure how long it takes. we assemble in city hall park. now filling up with people all looking upwards, sharing stories and theories on what the heck just happened. we make sure everyone is out and then start making our way out of there. me and a coworker hail a cab, hand him 30 bucks and say take us uptown, he makes a u-turn on the one-way street and heads north. i get on the phone to my family but it's difficult to get through. we pick up some people on the way and learn of the other planes and the pentagon from them and the cab radio. then we hear the first building has fallen, we start seeing the smoke and dust over the buildings, then the second... couple hours later we're in yonkers and log back in to work (we run a 24/7 operation with clients all over the world) which is really the best way to keep sane it turns out...

over the next five weeks we work from home or share offices with clients and vendors as we can't get back to our offices. when we finally do, weeks later, there's a coffe and a muffin sitting on my desk since that tuesday.

things i'll never forget; the air filled with paper and debris, sailing around, there was so much of it; the people jumping, falling, there were so many of them; and the horrid sickening smell lingering for months in the area... and the two colleagues we lost.

(hey, sorry for the downer, i realize i've never written about it before.)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
Incidentally, I just read in the local paper that it was Hiroshima Day on 6th August. I felt a bit ignorant I didn't know that. Wonder how long it will be before things like 9/11 can be overlooked so easily, when you consider the scale of Hirishima, it might be sooner than we'd like to think?
People are overlooking the significance of 911 all ready. Just as they have forgotten what started WWII.

They have forgotten the fact that Japan started out as a little island country and Hitler started out just as Saddam Husien. The world ignored Hitler and Japan until it was almost too late.

Today, too many people around the world want to ignore the terrorist and those countrys that support them, thinking they will leave everyone alone and go away if we leave them alone.

By the way, I was at work on the morning of 911.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
38 Participants
MiniAdventurer
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing