MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
On a Learning Journey
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently took delivery of my new Clubman Cooper Diesel and over a couple of weeks ran up 1300 miles.

Absolutely zero defects noted upon delivery and zero defects at 1300 miles. Not a single rattle, failiure or suspect component. Paintwork is superb and I've been over it in great detail.

The car drives and tracks as you might expect and I attacked it with a hose pipe to see if the door seals were up to driving in a wet country - result was zero ingress of water.

First new car that I've ever bought that hasn't had a return vist to the dealer for some 'warranty' work.

Unconvinced by the auto stop/start feature and slightly irritated at the slow filling fuel tank - but this car is seriously well screwed together.

·
On a Learning Journey
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2,000 miles and not a problem to report. Absolutely zero defects - nothing has rattlled loose, failed, broken or otherwise failed to operate. Engine and gearbox have bedded in rather nicely and the whole package is delivering fun, fun, fun.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not sure if you were being negative or not because of your title "Issues", but when I read your notes it was positive or I'm just not understanding. (confused) :(

·
On a Learning Journey
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure if you were being negative or not because of your title "Issues", but when I read your notes it was positive or I'm just not understanding. (confused) :(

Do not be confused - I expected a few problems (it is a man-made product after all) but I have experienced zero problems to date.

This is a seriously well put together product!

·
On a Learning Journey
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At 4000 miles my first negative MINI experience - laquer coating cannot handle bird poo.

What a mammoth job to try and remove an everyday feature of driving in the real world.

Other than that it is driving superbly.

·
On a Learning Journey
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Passed the 6000 miles mark - still no sign of any components failing to operate or shaking loose. It is driving really well - engine, transmission and brakes are all working in harmony.

Have been trying that new Shell diesel fuel - cannot say that I've noticed any performance or economy benefits - but then I've not been very scientific in my benefits analysis.

Still unconvinced that the laquer coating over the paint is 'fit for purpose' when it comes to protection against everyday bird poo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bird poo is very acidic mate and will eat through any laquer if left for too long. Paint is only made by two main global manufacturers so its the same paint as on any other car really.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
Still unconvinced that the laquer coating over the paint is 'fit for purpose' when it comes to protection against everyday bird poo.
I had the same experience on my last R53. Nasty bird poo on the bonnet for a maximum of 1.5 to 2 hours. Definitely ate into the laquer and it took regular polishing over about 12 months to get rid of the huge mark. Also extremely vulnerable to stone chips, though it doesn't rust where it chips.

The paint shop at Cowley was never designed for the volume that it handles and it is a real bottleneck at the plant. Methinks they might fly through that part of the factory a little faster than they really ought to....

·
aka Nick
504 Posts
Was the same on my 1 series. The clear coat is actually poo on BMWs and MINIs. On some new MINIs I think the orange peal is really bad and I am sure that they are pushing the paint shop too hard and not taking a little more time with them

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have had my Clubby D since June 2010 and covered 4600 miles, my only major gripe is the paintwork, it chips so easily, but atleast the foglamps are wren proof.

The best way to protect your paintwork against bird poo is 2 or 3 good coats of hard wax, I use Auto Glym HD wax. I spend 4 weeks from home at a time, when I get home its covered, but it washes off with no damage to laquer.

Attachments

·
Stooey
87 Posts
Living by the coast those seagulls sure know how to sh*t... I agree with Dave and use several coats of AG HD Wax. It aint cheap (halfords did a 2 for 1 in July so I stocked up) but does the trick. Also top it off with AG Extra Gloss Protection and get any fresh droppings off with Meguiers Speed Detailer.

I've had a fair few warranty claims in last 2.5 years and have today signed up for the BMW diesel engined model hoping it'll be better than the PSA lump. After numerous oil leaks, particulate filter issues and the like the BMW lump cant be any worse. The dealer charged MINI £741 for the last oil leak fix.. Ouch, certain don't wanna be caught without a warranty!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
Stoo Med
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing