MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been talking with a mate at work, looking for a good car that can be used as a family motor, but also give him grin factor, and something which has cool factor.

No MINI's, too small, No Clubman, something other than MINI please.

What would you class as a stylish motor, something that isn't the norm, something which would suit outside of the MINI offering?:confused:

So far he has liked the idea of a Mustang, but not with loads of body kit on it. Now looking at Alfa who seem to be the only ones offering something a little different, fun to drive and stylish, just to give you an idea of what is hitting the mark so far;)

Any others to consider that could hit the mark? Or is the selection of cars on sale today just as I keep thinking, very dull, flat and too much like the next one unless you buy a MINI?

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
There isn't really much out there :( The Mustang (if you can afford to run one :p) seems like a very good bet ;)

Mazda RX8 is another fave of mine too - You'd be surprised what you can fit in it!! Quite expensive to run though.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
I looked at a Mustang - it's got a very cool name, but oh the dissapointment when you climb inside. The cabin and plastics really is shockingly poor quality. Then there is the fuel - they do a 4.0 V6 and a 4.6 V8 - neither of which will return much over 20mpg.

So a stylish car with space for the family?

How about the new Passat R36? nigh on 300bhp, 4 wheel drive, and 0-60 in 5.6 seconds :eek: Plus the new CC version looks good too ;)

The hot version of the new Mondeo can't be far off - and that I'm sure will be a stormer!

The current Subaru Legacy Outback is well rated too, and might be worth a look?

But you're right, everything else is just so goddam dull :(

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There isn't really much out there :( The Mustang (if you can afford to run one :p) seems like a very good bet ;)

Mazda RX8 is another fave of mine too - You'd be surprised what you can fit in it!! Quite expensive to run though.
RX8 has been around too long I think to be of interest to him, but might give it a mention;)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at a Mustang - it's got a very cool name, but oh the dissapointment when you climb inside. The cabin and plastics really is shockingly poor quality. Then there is the fuel - they do a 4.0 V6 and a 4.6 V8 - neither of which will return much over 20mpg.

So a stylish car with space for the family?

How about the new Passat R36? nigh on 300bhp, 4 wheel drive, and 0-60 in 5.6 seconds :eek: Plus the new CC version looks good too ;)

The hot version of the new Mondeo can't be far off - and that I'm sure will be a stormer!

Glad its not just me struggling on this with him:eek:

Passat is still a Passat, so no difference even with all the sports stuff thrown at it, he is a designer so looks are more important that speed;)

Mondeo is still going to be Mundane

Subaru legacy, hmmm, nope, he doesn't own a barber:p

The other thing he does like is that Land Rover Concept thing;)

·
*Merry Prankster*
20,778 Posts
Now looking at Alfa who seem to be the only ones offering something a little different, fun to drive and stylish, just to give you an idea of what is hitting the mark so far;)
You know my thoughts on Alfas :cool:

IThe hot version of the new Mondeo can't be far off - and that I'm sure will be a stormer!
Mondeo is still going to be Mundane
Doubt it.....the new Mondeo is a *seriously* good car, and the hot version (2.5 turbo??) will be an absolute stormer

I've started to see more Alfa 159's recently and really liking what I see... especially the interiors...

Also liking the look of the EVO X (especially in the metallic red)
Two good choices :)

I'm also liking the volvo C30 T5, the Focus RS, and the Bimmer 123D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Polo GT Owner!
3,938 Posts
Gotta be an Evo!

Plenty of room for a family car, pretty sure it would have the grin factor too :p

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
You know my thoughts on Alfas :cool:

Doubt it.....the new Mondeo is a *seriously* good car, and the hot version (2.5 turbo??) will be an absolute stormer

Two good choices :)

I'm also liking the volvo C30 T5, the Focus RS, and the Bimmer 123D
Will pass those onto him, he did take the 159 out the other day for a test drive, and liked it:)
The 159 has a real edge to it (needs the right wheels though), and the seats look fantastic... first time i've really considered Alfa's...

New Focus RS might be a hoot, in a tyre shredding kinda way :D...

·
Polo GT Owner!
3,938 Posts
Has to be the Alfa Brera or 159 for me, beautiful looking cars.

Also like the Fiat Bravo, especially the interior. Had one as a hire car and was impressed.

Am also very keen on the Renaultsport Meganes, but they have been around for a while now.
Always fancied a renault sport myself, something like a 182 Trophy, what a hoot they sound! :D

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts

Subaru's are :cool: and well-built, solid family cars. My folks have one they love to pieces.

The mustang's notorious for breaking down frequently ... not just the cabin and plastics have shockingly bad build quality ... everything under the hood seems to go ... my friend's got a mustang while I was in England and has already had ti returned as a lemon before I got back ... aircon catching fire was the last in a long line of problems. enough probslems that i don't think i could name them all. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts