MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed new water pump on R52 Mini One, now the belt is too tight to fit over the pulleys... 馃

Confession: I forgot to lock the tensioner into position when removing the belt and just released it to 'go free'. 馃檮

I've managed to get the tensioner into the locked position now but the belt won't go over the pulleys. This is the original belt...

Can't work out how it can be tighter when the tensioner is at it's highest position when previously that provided enough slack to remove the belt... 馃槼

I have measured the diameters of the old and new water pumps thinking that maybe they were different but they're not...

Now I'm thinking to refit the old water pump to see if that changes things, but that seems a bit crazy...

Anyone any other ideas? Thanks.

Registered
You need to check you have it fitted the correct way round all the pulleys and you need to fit it so the idle tensioner is the last pulley it fits over, you won鈥檛 do it if you leave the crank pulley till last.

Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
Sounds like they might of sold you a R56 belt. I know when I bought my first belt way back in 2011 or so, the city I lived in did not even carry it. They sold me a R53 which I believe when I went to put it on, was too long!
I ended up driving an hour away for a R56 belt.

Registered
Sounds like they might of sold you a R56 belt. I know when I bought my first belt way back in 2011 or so, the city I lived in did not even carry it. They sold me a R53 which I believe when I went to put it on, was too long!
I ended up driving an hour away for a R56 belt.
If you read the original post, he's trying to put on the belt he took off. So not bought the wrong belt.

Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
O.K. got it looking at the manual right now of the belt system on 2005 and earlier models. Number 2 being the water pump. and the new water pump.
It's a a shame; here in the states when someone buys a belt tensioner tool they sell one for the 2nd and the 1st generation in one kit. So I have a brand new untouched R53 belt tensioner tool I don't use:(.
I know things can get stuck all over the place and the bolt may have only locked the tensioner in place at a lower point due to another hole somewhere behind the tensioner itself. If the new belt goes on. And you did not put the tensioner on backwards or anything. I would let it go like that.
Would need pictures to compare with my manual.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to check you have it fitted the correct way round all the pulleys and you need to fit it so the idle tensioner is the last pulley it fits over, you won鈥檛 do it if you leave the crank pulley till last.
Mmmm, good point.

Thanks for the advice guys gonna have another go with it today, will report back if successful.

Cheers!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, nice pic of the belt routing, thanks!

I have discovered what the problem is:

The flange on the new pump is thicker = alternator is mounted too far out = belt doesn't fit!! :rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:

I ask myself why didn't I notice this before? Well maybe I was paying too much attention to the pulley diameter...

Hey well it looked right!

Anyway, warning to others maybe? Something to look out for when replacing the water pump...

Now I need to return to supplier and see if they have a different after-market pump (genuine one too expensive).

Oh BTW, the reason for starting this job in the first place was a burst hose from water pump to block:

Cheers!

Registered
The thickness of the mount around the bolt holes is not as relevant as the relative position of the centre of the pulley to the mounting face of the pump.

Though impossible to tell accurately from your pictures, but both pumps like very similar and the extra "thickness" is to the left of the metal ridge between the bolt holes.

I'd say that pump is correct, of course you have the parts in hand so should be able to measure them to be sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts