MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else do less than 25miles a day (or none), and noticed the service countdown just knock 25miles off per day wether you driven the car or not?

·
Registered
24 Posts
not noticed it personally... I haven't got my mini yet, but

I understand from other threads that the countdown is 'intelligent' - takes into account driving conditions etc. As all services are x thousand miles or x months it is probably just factoring that in, i.e. if you left your mini on the drive for a whole year without driviing it, ther service indicator would tell you that a service was due. 25 miles x 365 days = approx 10000 miles.

just a guess though :D

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
Yes the system does knock off mileage,the theory being that a person who thrashes their MINI everywhere will need their's servicing sooner than somebody that just pootles round.My first MINI ONE was serviced according to the indicator and it was 7500 miles approx instead of 10000.I notice that my new MINI ONE has done approx 2200miles but the indicator says the service is due in 7500 miles and not 7800 miles.I think that more and more manufacturers are adopting this 'intelligent' approach.Cynically you could say that its designed to make you have more services,but on the other hand theoretically your car should be in better nick.I haven't read the small print but does this system mean that your free servicing is up sooner?.Is the deal on the tlc 'UP TO' five years or 50,000 miles free servicing or is the 50000 miles or five years fixed?

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
1,048 Posts
zyo said:
Is the deal on the tlc 'UP TO' five years or 50,000 miles free servicing or is the 50000 miles or five years fixed?
Its probably the same now as when I got mine, and thats that you get a booklet entitling you to so many services, and just like Tesco's when they're gone they're gone.

·
Registered
81 Posts
m1les said:
Its probably the same now as when I got mine, and thats that you get a booklet entitling you to so many services, and just like Tesco's when they're gone they're gone.
It is. I think I've got 5 vouchers in mine - not checked it though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
bigtent said:
Anyone else do less than 25miles a day (or none), and noticed the service countdown just knock 25miles off per day wether you driven the car or not?
No way!

I only use my car every couple of weeks on average and have never "lost" miles while its been parked up.

My counter was still showing nearly 2000 miles to service when the first one was done at 9500 miles and 25 months old.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
D1N0 said:
It is. I think I've got 5 vouchers in mine - not checked it though.
For TLC you will have 3 service vouchers and 1 brake fluid voucher.

So the claim of 50k miles/5years is a lie (or clever marketing wording) because:

a) You are not likely to get past 40k miles :mad:
b) TLC does not cover the brake fluid change after 4 years :mad:

Having said this it is a complete bargain ;)

·
Registered
668 Posts
KenL said:
You are not likely to get past 40k miles
The scheduled services are 10000, 25000 and 40000 miles. It's made quite clear that you get 3 services, so in general that means that you won't have to pay for one until you have done more than 50000 miles - or 5 years at 10000 miles per year.

When the services need doing depends on how you drive. My wife gets about 20% less miles than the standard as her car is mainly used for slow speed stop/start work.

I get about 15% over the norm - if I had managed to do enough miles in the first 2 years I'd have got 11500 miles to my first service. My car is rarely driven less than 20 miles at one go so always gets thoroughly warm and is almost never used in town.

As the car needs servicing every 2 years and I don't use it enough to "run out" of miles I get free servicing at 2, 4 and 6 years and pay for the first one at 8 years. A bargain at £100!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they must have changed it for 05 mini's to bring you in early just past the 1 year mark. I am led to understand on previose mini's if you had low milage it could be a maxime of 2 years for the first service.....

·
Loud and Proud
239 Posts
My Mini had 12000 miles showing when it demanded it's first service, and nearly 30000 for the second. It's a Sept 01 car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had my fist service (oil change) done after 7500 miles. The next service (first inspection) isn't due for over 14000 miles my cooper is a 03. It is due its brake fluid fairly soon less than 50 days I think. Is it normal to have the brake fluid changed before the first inspection? Also does anyone know whether you can visit any MINI dealership for warranty work because my outside temperature reading is displaying around 10 degrees higher than it should be and my dealer I purchased my car from is further than a local MINI dealer (Henry Bros)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Brake Fluid Change

How do you know when your MINI needs its brake fluid change? I know that the oil inspection is stated (I've had my MINI for 11 months now, it has done around 7500 miles, and the inspection is due in around 1500 miles), but what about the brake fluid?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sebby* said:
How do you know when your MINI needs its brake fluid change? I know that the oil inspection is stated (I've had my MINI for 11 months now, it has done around 7500 miles, and the inspection is due in around 1500 miles), but what about the brake fluid?
Hey Sebby* to find out how many days to having your brake fluid changed you have to press the button on the speedo when it is displaying the miles to next service after startup. Hope this helps :)

PS. Are you the same sebby* from digital spy?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
BAZil said:
Hey Sebby* to find out how many days to having your brake fluid changed you have to press the button on the speedo when it is displaying the miles to next service after startup. Hope this helps :)
Cool, thanks, I didn't know that.

BAZil said:
PS. Are you the same sebby* from digital spy?
I am indeed. :)

Who are you?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
BAZil said:
Also does anyone know whether you can visit any MINI dealership for warranty work because my outside temperature reading is displaying around 10 degrees higher than it should be and my dealer I purchased my car from is further than a local MINI dealer (Henry Bros)
Cheers
Yes, you can take your car to any MINI dealer.

·
Registered
668 Posts
TLC - 3 services and 1 brake fluid change - Originally £100, but price has just gone up to £150.

TLCXL - extra 2 services and 1 brake fluid change - Recently introduced - extra £300.

·
Registered
152 Posts
no vouchers

No vouchers here in the states.
You lose out on your 3rd service if you don't get enough miles in.
I just took my 02 in for its 2500 service and my warranty runs out it april, so this will be the last service for me
oh well. next time I'll put more miles on
-B

1 - 18 of 18 Posts