MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)
Recently bought a 2004 Mini Cooper S (manual gearbox) and had the car serviced at 31,000 miles as the OBD indicated.

Now - this may not be a problem - i may not have noticed this prior to getting the original Service Due soon warnings, but when i start my car the "Service Engine Soon" light appears for around 3 seconds on the speedo. Is this the result of not having had the service interval reset properly at the Mini Dealer, is it indicative of a problem..... or is that always the way it is, and should be???

I appreciate your help - have searched through the forum and can't find the correct operation of this warning light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that!

I actually meant the rev counter above the steering wheel (instead of speedo) - i take it that the answer above still applies? :)

·
Mustn't Grumble...
111 Posts
I think that you're confusing the "service interval display" with the "service engine soon" light.
The service interval display is the computer's assessment of the number of miles/kilometres to be driven before the next service. This is displayed in the odometer readout for a few seconds after the ignition key is moved to position 1. It will tell you the distance to the next service and the type of service (inspection 1 or 2, oil service). This is the counter that is re-set after a service and should then count down to the next service.
The service engine soon light is an indication that the computer has detected an emissions related engine problem. It is normal for this to be on at engine start as it is illuminated for a few seconds after turning on the ignition as a part of the system checks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts