MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All.... I have somewhat of a problem with my dealer.... heres the story...

My S was new in June 2003, and has since covered 31k.... at 30k the second service was due, so I duly took the car into my dealer to have the work done... heres the problem... when I picked it up it hadnt been washed, annoying but no real problem, I drove it home to find it was whistling at 70mph... a week later I took it back and it was apparantly due to a micro filter not being attached properly...

anyway on Saturday I had a BMP intake fitted at another garage, and this was when I discovered the following, below is a picture of the air intake that was removed... this air filter has supposedly done 1,000 miles since the service.... It looks to me like it was never touched, whats anyone elses opinion ?....

The dilema I have is how many other parts of the service havent been done ?... was the oil and filter changed ?... etc etc... I also have to explain why I have got a different intake to standard....

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
Check your service schedule in regards to the panel filter. I pulled mine out one day at about 45000km to notice that it was absolutely filthy, and quite obviously the original one that came with the car.

I was about to phone the service manager at my dealer and yell at him, but I checked the service schedule first.

It seems some wise guy has decided that the air filter doesn't need to be swapped until the third service! (65000km or about 40000 miles)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Changing air filters it too much like hard work for a lot of dealers, not just MINI ones. On a couple of recent cars the air filters did not get changed at service.

The photo that you have doesn't look that bad. You can still see the yellow colour of the filter. The ones that I have pulled out of cars just after service were much worse.

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm amazed its not a standard job... I mean its easy to do and would only be a low parts cost.... Maybe thats how they make TLC so cheap, they have reduced the scope of the services ?....

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The service include the inspection of the air filter, not necessarily the replacement. Get a re-oilable filter and just check it yourself every 30-50k miles...

Harry

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HarryIndiBlue said:
The service include the inspection of the air filter, not necessarily the replacement. Get a re-oilable filter and just check it yourself every 30-50k miles...

Harry
just fitted a BMP ;)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
northandy said:
They did It while I was getting my brakes done as a freebie !!! ;) ... well impressed, love the extra supercharger noise !!!
Nice one.... Glad you're pleased with it...... Any notice in power, throttle response anything like that? :p

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if PH hadn't changed it. I can't tell from the photo as the only air filters I've seen are very old and dirty.
It's a pity the service isn't better :(

How's your new house coming along? :)

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wibbly said:
Nice one.... Glad you're pleased with it...... Any notice in power, throttle response anything like that? :p
I little improvement low down, mainly top end it doesnt seem as breathless... mind you I already have a Milltek, that made quite a difference when I fitted it !

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rob. said:
It wouldn't surprise me if PH hadn't changed it. I can't tell from the photo as the only air filters I've seen are very old and dirty.
It's a pity the service isn't better :(

How's your new house coming along? :)
I'm fairly certain they havent touched it.... theres loads of flies stuck in it... not something we have seen much of in the 3 weeks since its been serviced... :rolleyes: ... useless burgers !....

House is fantastic.... so much different to the old place... if your in the Norton area give me a shout

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
northandy said:
I'm fairly certain they havent touched it.... theres loads of flies stuck in it... not something we have seen much of in the 3 weeks since its been serviced... :rolleyes: ... useless burgers !....

House is fantastic.... so much different to the old place... if your in the Norton area give me a shout
The flies are the give away then. The useless buggers. I wonder how much of this type of stuff goes on and people just don't check or don't know how to. It stinks really :mad:

Glad your enjoying your new home :)

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob. said:
The flies are the give away then. The useless buggers. I wonder how much of this type of stuff goes on and people just don't check or don't know how to. It stinks really :mad:

Glad your enjoying your new home :)
I will be having a word with the service manager... my good friend Mr Sutcliffe ! :mad: :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts