MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's a question from left field. Putting the cart before the horse and etc.
The nearest Mini-BMW dealership is about 4 1/2 hours away. There's a BMW dealer here in town, but not a BMW-Mini dealer.
Question is: What do I do about service.:confused:

·
Registered
147 Posts
According to my dealer, you will need to go to the Mini dealer. BMW dealers that don't have the Mini are not trained in the service and will not carry parts. I am about 2 1/2 hrs away from a Mini dealer. Bummer.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
scottgib said:
According to my dealer, you will need to go to the Mini dealer. BMW dealers that don't have the Mini are not trained in the service and will not carry parts. I am about 2 1/2 hrs away from a Mini dealer. Bummer.
I'm 7 hours away from the nearest dealer :( , so I have been looking into this for some time. Besides scottgib's dealer, MINIUSA itself has confirmed that only MINI dealers will provide MINI servicing. Period.

The (slightly) good news is there will be a MINI roadside assistance program provided when you buy a MINI that is expected to cover towing to the nearest MINI dealer should your car be undriveable (NOTE: the program details are still to be confirmed).

·
Registered
451 Posts
US service is a big hurdle

Originally posted by DeniseK

Question is: What do I do about service :confused:
I think that after the initial fervor over the MINI dies down, that service access will be the biggest roadblock that MINI marketing will have to overcome, to sell cars to the non-MINI-enthusiast car buyer.

Your choices now are: 1. Hope you get lucky and get a fault-free car. Then you'll only have to contend with a once a year routine service visit.

2.Rely on the roadside assistance service to fix all problems and keep a second car to use as a backup while the wrecker is transporting your car to and from the dealer

3.Fix all the small problems yourself even though they would normally be covered, to save the time and aggravation to get to the dealer. Only use the dealer for serious problems or where costly parts are required. Trim falling off, squeaky seats or dash, leaky window seals are the type of problems I would fix myself, and I only live 60miles from a MINI dealer.

forgot last point
4. Don't buy the car or wait until the quality issues subside. This forum is a great place to track current quality issues status.

Since you have professionally raced/rallyed minis and other sports cars in the past I would guess that you probably do a lot of you own maintenance anyway-right?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
karmuze said:
US service is a big hurdle

2.Rely on the roadside assistance service to fix all problems and keep a second car to use as a backup while the wrecker is transporting your car to and from the dealer

Who said anything about delivery back from the dealer? :confused: The general public does not yet know the provisions of the MINI roadside assistance program, but I've never heard any speculation that there would be a return trip delivering the repaired MINI as part of the package. Don't get wrong - I'm all for it - just don't know whether to believe it.

Supposedly the MINI roadside assistance program is similar to the BMW one - anybody know what is covered for BMW owners in the US?

·
Registered
119 Posts
You can do as I will...Have a good pick-up and a trailer. If it breaks, load and go. For me it is 4 1/2 hours. I have waited too bloody long for this car to let a little thing like 250 miles bother.
How is Santa Fe? A very good friend of mine lives there, I was out 5 years ago...beautiful country.
Mike:D :D

·
Registered
451 Posts
Large EXPECTATIONS?

Originally posted by BruceK
Who said anything about delivery back from the dealer?
As I said previously, I intend to do all minor repairs myself due to the distance (1.5HR) away from my nearest MINI dealer, even if said repairs would be covered under warranty. I would use roadside assistance only for serious undriveable type breakdowns. In that event, I would expect the delivery of my car back to my home or workplace whichever is closer to the dealer.
Considering that serious faults might take several days to diagnose and obtain parts for, waiting at the dealer is not a realistic option.
MINI USA certainly needs to spell out details of the roadside assistance program, since if too austere it could be a deal killer in my case.

Originally posted by FiremanMike
If it breaks, load and go.
You're certainly willing to go the extra mile for MINI ownership! Hope you have your Holiday Inn frequent traveller discount card handy if you experience any problems. Here's hoping you don't.

oooh-rah Devil Dog!

the car with the bulldog stance.......STANDARD on all models (check the brochure):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts