MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Speed Racer
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang

What did MINI do to squeeze 7 more horses out of the motor for the '05 MCS?
 

·
The REAL King of Bling
Joined
·
261 Posts
Stevie B said:
Hi gang

What did MINI do to squeeze 7 more horses out of the motor for the '05 MCS?
They changed the gearbox and ratios etc..
 

·
Damned
Joined
·
4,528 Posts
Yes, ...But apart from the Exhaust system tweaks, ECU Software upgrade, Different Gearbox ratio`s & upgraded SuperCharger, .... what have the 05`s ever given US :p

BTW, An upgraded Gearbox & Ratio`s can`t actually influence or increase the Power Output from the Engine, but merely affect the way that SAME Power is delivered to the Wheels :)
 

·
Mr 120d Sport
Joined
·
4,610 Posts
Restyle said:
Yes, ...But apart from the Exhaust system tweaks, ECU Software upgrade, Different Gearbox ratio`s & upgraded SuperCharger, .... what have the 05`s ever given US :p

BTW, An upgraded Gearbox & Ratio`s can`t actually influence or increase the Power Output from the Engine, but merely affect the way that SAME Power is delivered to the Wheels :)
.....by altering the tractive effort at the tyre contact patch......more force = more acceleration!
 

·
Damned
Joined
·
4,528 Posts
wobert123 said:
.....by altering the tractive effort at the tyre contact patch......more force = more acceleration!
...From the SAME Engine Power Output though.

You cant get something for nothing, & a gearbox is just an energy delivery device which actually uses some of that engine power to do its work, as like ALL machines, it is NOT 100% efficient.
:)
 

·
Mr 120d Sport
Joined
·
4,610 Posts
Restyle said:
...From the SAME Engine Power Output though.

You cant get something for nothing, & a gearbox is just an energy delivery device which actually uses some of that engine power to do its work, as like ALL machines, it is NOT 100% efficient.
:)
Yes.......I was going to add that one improvement they could have made was to increase the efficiency of the drive-train......typically you lose 3% per gear mesh.....since the MCS uses a twin layshaft gearbox, you need at least two meshes to get from input to output, so that's 6% lost and you haven't even got out of the gearbox!

But remember, the overall ratio multiplied by the power/torque going into the gearbox, gives the force at the wheels. If you alter the ratio (up or down) then the force at the wheels will alter up or down as well!
 

·
Track addict
Joined
·
5,960 Posts
ECU work I should imagine - nothing mechanical... just more efficent.

If it were mechanical, they would be crowing about 'ported heads' or some such stuff.....

Basic engines exactly the same I reckon.
 

·
Damned
Joined
·
4,528 Posts
wobert123 said:
But remember, the overall ratio multiplied by the power/torque going into the gearbox, gives the force at the wheels. If you alter the ratio (up or down) then the force at the wheels will alter up or down as well!
Agreed, But the overall POWER in Bhp remains constant.
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
It's mostly remap, with subtle changes to the charger and exhaust.


As stated, it feels like more due to the shorter gear ratios.



The changes also make the exhaust burble and pop a lot more :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
wobert123 said:
Yes.......I was going to add that one improvement they could have made was to increase the efficiency of the drive-train......typically you lose 3% per gear mesh.....since the MCS uses a twin layshaft gearbox, you need at least two meshes to get from input to output, so that's 6% lost and you haven't even got out of the gearbox!

But remember, the overall ratio multiplied by the power/torque going into the gearbox, gives the force at the wheels. If you alter the ratio (up or down) then the force at the wheels will alter up or down as well!
That´s got nothing to do with the power increase, as the bhp figure quoted by the manufacturer is measured at the crank, and not the wheels. Therefore, drivetrain is not considered in the equation.

As mentioned before, power increase is due to some exhaust modifications, ECU remap and a new teflon coated supercharger.

Regards.
 

·
Mr 120d Sport
Joined
·
4,610 Posts
Martinmaxx said:
That´s got nothing to do with the power increase, as the bhp figure quoted by the manufacturer is measured at the crank, and not the wheels. Therefore, drivetrain is not considered in the equation.

As mentioned before, power increase is due to some exhaust modifications, ECU remap and a new teflon coated supercharger.

Regards.
Agreed.....but if the inefficiencies of the driveltrain were reduced, then more of that power / torque would get to the road......hence improved performance!:rolleyes:
 

·
Mini 2 Slap Head
Joined
·
304 Posts
wobert123 said:
Agreed.....but if the inefficiencies of the driveltrain were reduced, then more of that power / torque would get to the road......hence improved performance!:rolleyes:
Are you like, some kinda Engineering person, you seem to know a lot about gearboxes :confused:

;)

C_P
 

·
Mr 120d Sport
Joined
·
4,610 Posts
Charger_Pete said:
Are you like, some kinda Engineering person, you seem to know a lot about gearboxes :confused:

;)

C_P
Cmmon Pete you know the answer to that one.........sad isn't it?
 

·
Mini 2 Slap Head
Joined
·
304 Posts
wobert123 said:
Cmmon Pete you know the answer to that one.........sad isn't it?
Ah well, a poor reflection once again of how engineers of today are under-valued and unrespected members of society

;)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top