MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I guess the nice big roof of the MINI is also ideal for a large solar panel? (More useful in Oz than UK, of course :D)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I seriously cannot wait to get my hands on an electric MINI. I love my petrol MINI, but it would be even better if it had the efficiency and power of an electric engine.

If BMW needs any testers here in the states, I am more than willing to test it out on the streets ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
A lot of car manufacturers are doing this. Hope MINI has opted for hybrid approach of motors in wheels and complete electric drive train with small (less than 1ltr) petrol engine to charge batteries provide power over long distances (like Volvo 'Recharge'). Think this is the way to go and whoever brings it to market will get my money!! :wink:

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
A lot of car manufacturers are doing this. Hope MINI has opted for hybrid approach of motors in wheels and complete electric drive train with small (less than 1ltr) petrol engine to charge batteries provide power over long distances (like Volvo 'Recharge'). Think this is the way to go and whoever brings it to market will get my money!! :wink:
But don't most of the current hybrid drives offer very little in benefits over a good economical diesel? Especially with the all that clever MINIMALISM in the Cooper D? And I thought the jury was still out on the long-term viability of all those batteries.......

Having said that, the idea of instant 100% torque delivered to all 4 wheels sounds pretty awesome....

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
The problem with Hybrid cars is that the pollution caused during manufacturing and disposal outweigh any benefits during the cars working life!!
Energy is also used lugging around the batteries and dual propulsion (petrol and electric)
I don't think Hybrid is the way forward.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know they have already done some work with electrical MINIs. As for the film the Italian Job (LA) they were not allowed to take internal combustion engines down into the subway. Hence they built a set of electric MINI's.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
I seriously cannot wait to get my hands on an electric MINI. I love my petrol MINI, but it would be even better if it had the efficiency and power of an electric engine.

If BMW needs any testers here in the states, I am more than willing to test it out on the streets ;)
same here. i had wanted a diesel mini here in the states (unfortunately, not availbale here) so i could convert it to run on french fry oil, but an electric one would be even more fun. :)

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
same here. i had wanted a diesel mini here in the states (unfortunately, not availbale here) so i could convert it to run on french fry oil, but an electric one would be even more fun. :)
A diesel running on french fry oil - would that be a MacMINI then? :D:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
The problem with Hybrid cars is that the pollution caused during manufacturing and disposal outweigh any benefits during the cars working life!!
That's not actually true. It's a myth that many anti-environmentalists have been spreading to decrease adoption of hybrid cars.

·
www.tiovicente*****
130 Posts
That's not actually true. It's a myth that many anti-environmentalists have been spreading to decrease adoption of hybrid cars.
It is entirely accurate. Do you seriously believe that battery cells are an environmentally positive way for vehicle propulsion, notwithstanding their manufacturing impact there's no way their shelf life is going to be anything like as long as a conventional IC engine causing increased recycling (inefficient with these batteries under the WEEE Directive).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts