MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey, what are the pros and cons of each one, im seriously considering getting either one or the other or both, or neither!! and taking away something else to make way. all depends an what you guys say.... Cheers everyone :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'd say neither.

I've driven MINI's with Xenon and standard headlamps, there is very little difference, which is why I opeted for the standard lamps - you also get an extra thumb-wheel, rather than a blanking plate, to adjust the lamp height level.

As for the H-K system. It's not that much of an improvement over the Boost unit. If you want a really booming or high quality (they're not the same thing) audio system in your car, go with an aftermarket setup. Personally I'd rather have an okay system in the car (Boost) and spend the rest of my cash on my home Hi-Fi.

The only thing I wish I'd oredered on my MINI is the MFSW. Just for the extra buttons!

Have fun selecting your options, I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you decide upon.

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
tnoy66 said:
I haven't heard the H/K, but I'd say go aftermarket.
More choice, you can tailor the system to your needs and you can add to it over time if you wish.
So just get the standard WAVE head unit when you order and then swap when you're ready.
...which is exactly what i've done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have got both of these. I personally don't rate the mini/BMW sound. All the H/K means is it can go load. I do think the lights are worthwhile - more relaxing on the eyes, as the light brighter and seemingly more 'natural'.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Prowse said:
As for the H-K system. It's not that much of an improvement over the Boost unit.
Ummm... I can't adequately describe how much better HK is than BOOST.
I've had two Coopers, the first with BOOST, which I was never happy with (not powerful or clear enough) and my current car with HK. HK has a very clear and quality sound and is every bit as loud as I could want it to be. I can't ask for much more in a car sound system.

Xenons, your personal choice (I bought them because I like having 'better than standard' stuff! ;) ) but I'd recommend HK all day long. :)

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
H/K and Xenons!

H/K because you get crisp, clear sound with plenty of volume, and don't have to suffer a aftermarket unit that doesn't match or geting your interior ripped out.

Xenons as far as I can see have very little advantage on dipped beam however the new ones look very cool and are a must for that alone!

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
I'd say both are musts! Well, my opinion of a must may be different than most... but honestly, HIGHLY recommend both. Probably the HK more than the Xenons because you'll use it more, but both are very nice. The sound is great from the HK and the light is great from the Xenons. You also need to consider SS+, that's also VERY nice, not a harsh ride at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you dont want the expense of the Xenons you could put in extrabright bulbs for a few pounds. I did this but if I could go back and re-spec Eck I would have invested in the Xenons, a must if you do loads of night driving. Driving lamps are brill on the open road. I originally had two but upped it to four. Vision with these is superb but downside is when you have to dip its like being plunged into darkness . Can be a bit scary if your nipping on a bit and the find the road has vanished ahead of you.
:) :eb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Both would be good but I'd say the HK would be my preference; the sound is so much better with it IMHO.
I ordered my HK system at the very last minute and I'm glad I did...HK make great quality stuff: my home streo has HK speakers and they sound great too.

I guess it all depends how much you are into your music!

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
If you are an audiophile and don't want to possibly spend the same $$$ or more aftermarket than the h/k costs and possibly worry about theft, then h/k is for you. It has enough settings and customization to get it right where you like it and it is every bit as powerful to keep up with whatever you personal listening tastes are, from classical to trance to hip-hop. It's worth the money, so don't worry about not getting what you pay for. Instead, you need to ask yourself if you want to go aftermarket and tailor your sound system exactly how you want it or just let h/k do it for you.

BTW, SS+ is a must if you are a driving nut. So far, not a harsh ride or bad on the back as you sometimes hear in other places. I am so glad that I added that in at the last minute. Beautiful!

Let us know what you decide on! ;)

·
Astro
295 Posts
i would defo recomend Xeons Lights, they are so good when im driving at night and can see the yellow glow off everyones elses lights, i feel like im in day light again

Ive got H/K and aftermarket as well, well worth it!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Cooper76 said:
If you are an audiophile...
:D :D :D

ROFL. The idea of an in-car 'audiophile' sound system has always amused me. How can you possibly get pure sound quality in a tin box with an internal combustion engine sat next to it, whilst the wind is rushing past. Not to mention tyre noise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think its gonna be the H/K system!!!!!!

Minimatty04 said:
go for both.

Reasons:

1. Theyre both good

2. The more options you add the higher the resale value and the better the investment.

3. So you can gloat :D
i cant really justify the £350.00 for the xenons to be honest, but i think my mind is pretty much made up on the h/k system

thanks for all your replys!!! cheers :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.