MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had experience of using the new Shell Optimax (98RON) petrol/gas, or heard of any reported problems etc etc.

Could be especially good for the S?

The claims seem almost too good to be true - just wondered if there`s a down-side, other than trying to find a Shell station that is!?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ops! . .

Oops! Sorry silverstone - I should have done a search before posting.

My experience is limited so far to my Honda S2000 which needs 98RON but hates searching for it!

I filled-up with Optimax on the Norfolk coast during the week and was immediately very impressed with the much smoother throttle control at lower revs.

Had a bit of a `ding-dong` with a fast saloon car racer driven by Pedro Fandango on the A11 near Thetford (accelerating away uphill from a roundabout on the journey back) and the engine was equally (deliriously) happy bouncing the rev-limiter at 9000rpm!

Anyone here used Optimax?

(PS. I`m not proud to admit that Pedro ate my dust - but he started it!)
:D :D

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
I use Shell Optimax in both my MINI and Saab. There's definitely more power, smoother running and better economy from the higher octane fuel. The downside is the 10p per litre premium over standard unleaded (50p-ish extra per gallon and probably £6 extra per tankful)

I haven't done enough miles in the MINI to come to any verdict, but with the Saab the combustion is definitely more complete as there's less black soot on the exhaust pipe after caning the car (it's a company car and therefore caning it is required by law ).:D Also there is no pinking which can occur sometimes with normal unleaded.

The only worry that I have is the saga of Shells unleaded about 10-15 years ago which caused engine damage in some cars (can't remember what it was branded under).

Are you worried about the extra "detergent" factor possibly causing excessive oil consumption or bore wear Jakx?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dietcokeplease said:
. . . . . Are you worried about the extra "detergent" factor possibly causing excessive oil consumption or bore wear Jakx?
Yes dcp, I`m about to email Honda UK about the suitability of Optimax.

I`ve only used 3/4 tankfull so far and it does appear to run better right through the rev range.

Users on the S2K website don`t appear to have un-earthed any dodgy side affects but I`d like the `official` line before I consider filling up with it again!

I wonder what BMW have to say about it because, as you say, there was a problem a year or two ago with excessive cylinder bore wear - not sure if it was as a direct result of using a particular (high-detergent) fuel or suspect bore coating, or both?

Best I find out eh?

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
Well I've been running my works on Super since I got it and filled up with optimax for the first time the other day.

Doesn't appear to make any difference but it is 7p cheaper than super per litre.

Bargain!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yup - Optimax made a lot more of a difference than I anticipated. Even so, it's not huge, but i'll prob. use it more often than I orig. intended.
Besides, if I suffer valve wear, it's a good excuse for a trip to see Mr. J.Cooper and his conversion team ;-)

Car seems smoother and more responsive / torquey.

Makes much more of a diff. on this car than my Audi, but then I put that down to the better ignition technology detecting the better fuel.

P.S: Just back from a trip to NZ where they suffer from 91RON petrol - It's pants!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having checked with Honda they tell me that Optimax would be the best fuel for my S2000 - which needs 98RON anyway.

It certainly runs well on Optimax and there`s a very noticable improvement in smoothness at lower revs!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Better in the Summer

Optimax is good for improved Torque in the MINI, especially at low/medium engine speeds.

With the weather so cold at the moment, you won't see so much benefit since you'll hardly get any detonation on 95RON, so the ECU won't be retarding the spark much compared to Optimax / 98RON.

When the weather warms-up, you will begin to see bigger benefits from high octane fuel.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love it . . .

I`m hooked !

Optimax - now I just can`t get enough of the stuff !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Petrol Of Choice

I've only heard this 2nd hand, but apparently Aus WRX drivers swear by it (Optimax)

Normal petrol down under is pretty poor though

I use Optimax in my Outback & it's a very happy vegemite

I put Optimax "me-toos" into my company VTi-R only because company car fuel card doesn't work at Shell - Bummer:rolleyes:

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
Re: Love it . . .

Jakx said:
I`m hooked !

Optimax - now I just can`t get enough of the stuff !
......er Jakx, you're not drinking the stuff again are you?!:D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snow good pretending . . .

Basil said:

Thought you'd died and gone to heaven Jakx.

Happy New Year mate !

;)
And to you !

Been stuck in a snow-packed car park in Norfolk with the S2K - had to get the AA to help get us out!

AA guy said something like "crikey mate - I daren`t bring my truck in `ere mate !"

And, no, I haven`t died but am occasionally in Heaven !

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts