MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had experience of using the new Shell Optimax (98RON) petrol/gas, or heard of any reported problems etc etc.

Could be especially good for the S?

The claims seem almost too good to be true - just wondered if there`s a down-side, other than trying to find a Shell station that is!?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ops! . .

Oops! Sorry silverstone - I should have done a search before posting.

My experience is limited so far to my Honda S2000 which needs 98RON but hates searching for it!

I filled-up with Optimax on the Norfolk coast during the week and was immediately very impressed with the much smoother throttle control at lower revs.

Had a bit of a `ding-dong` with a fast saloon car racer driven by Pedro Fandango on the A11 near Thetford (accelerating away uphill from a roundabout on the journey back) and the engine was equally (deliriously) happy bouncing the rev-limiter at 9000rpm!

Anyone here used Optimax?

(PS. I`m not proud to admit that Pedro ate my dust - but he started it!)
:D :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dietcokeplease said:
. . . . . Are you worried about the extra "detergent" factor possibly causing excessive oil consumption or bore wear Jakx?
Yes dcp, I`m about to email Honda UK about the suitability of Optimax.

I`ve only used 3/4 tankfull so far and it does appear to run better right through the rev range.

Users on the S2K website don`t appear to have un-earthed any dodgy side affects but I`d like the `official` line before I consider filling up with it again!

I wonder what BMW have to say about it because, as you say, there was a problem a year or two ago with excessive cylinder bore wear - not sure if it was as a direct result of using a particular (high-detergent) fuel or suspect bore coating, or both?

Best I find out eh?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having checked with Honda they tell me that Optimax would be the best fuel for my S2000 - which needs 98RON anyway.

It certainly runs well on Optimax and there`s a very noticable improvement in smoothness at lower revs!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Snow good pretending . . .

Basil said:

Thought you'd died and gone to heaven Jakx.

Happy New Year mate !

;)
And to you !

Been stuck in a snow-packed car park in Norfolk with the S2K - had to get the AA to help get us out!

AA guy said something like "crikey mate - I daren`t bring my truck in `ere mate !"

And, no, I haven`t died but am occasionally in Heaven !

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.