MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shell V Power diesel

I moved away from Diesel cars just before V Power diesel was launched but used BP Ultimate Diesel in my D5 Volvo company car and it is smoother with better throttle response . Its really a cost calculation ie cost per mile rather than cost per litre . All these ultra premium fuel grades are also supposed to have an enhanced additive package which could pay back over longer periods through better engine condition i.e cleaner internals .
( I did 16 years with Bp Lubricants )

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give them a try, I heard people talk of needing a couple of fill ups for the ECU to adapt to the extra ron petrol being used, I dont know if its the same for deisel, I am new to deisel....

·
Registered
262 Posts
I will give them a try, I heard people talk of needing a couple of fill ups for the ECU to adapt to the extra ron petrol being used, I dont know if its the same for deisel, I am new to deisel....
If you disconnect the battery for 30secs after filling up the ecu will reset and adapt to the new fuel straight away. Let us know if you notice the difference.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I find Shell Vpower diesel works very well in my Cooper D. The engine seems to run smoother and the car feels more responsive. My best fuel economy has also been with a tank of Shell V Power.

·
Captain Slow
4,929 Posts
I have to admit, I've not noticed much difference when using V-Power diesel to ordinary diesel. I did notice the difference more in my previous petrol Cooper when I used V-Power petrol. There was a better fuel economy with the V-Power petrol over regular petrol. With V-Power diesel I don't find the difference worth paying the extra for.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you done several fill ups?

Dave please don't be offended is the battery thing a "pub fact" or a real 'trick' ?? I was once told about leaving ignition in sage II for x mins would do throttle body reset, eventually turned out to be a "pub fact" :-/

I am not being rude, just want to know for sure and I will try it...

J

·
Registered
140 Posts
Tried it a few times and also have to admit there was hardly any noticeable imporovement if any.

I personally think it's a gimmick for them to charge sightly more. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dave please don't be offended is the battery thing a "pub fact" or a real 'trick' ?? I was once told about leaving ignition in sage II for x mins would do throttle body reset, eventually turned out to be a "pub fact" :-/

I am not being rude, just want to know for sure and I will try it...

J
Removing the battery supply for 30 secs removes temporary data from the ECU, otherwise you need to run atleast 3 to 4 tanks of fuel through the tank.

Temporary data is built up as you drive, based on your driving style, fuel, atmospheric conditions etc

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tried V-Power Diesel when travelling across Europe to MU09. And should say it goes smoother. I wouldn't say "a lot", but at least I managed to reach 196 km/h (+1 km/h to factory maximum) before interruption by slow-moving (160 km/h) local burger :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts