MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
Some people say straddle the knob and pull hard, but I can see why they then complain about whacking themselves in the head !

I parked up, grabbed with both hands and pulled up, seemed to work fine and had a lot of control when it came off.

When i did this as a practice in anticipation for my whalen I managed to take it straight off with one hand, then put it back on. Second time around it took both hands, looks like i put it back on better than the factory did first time around !

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Whalens are nice...if you like that sort of thing...very easy to fit...no hassle at all...can be personalised with your own engraving...or you can be differant like me...and spend a few hours fitting a Momo nob :D

Attachments

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
I don't mind the OEM knob, but does anyone know of nice CVT replacement knobs???! Are there any top ones out there???! :confused:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Damo said:
Whalens are nice...if you like that sort of thing...very easy to fit...no hassle at all...can be personalised with your own engraving...or you can be differant like me...and spend a few hours fitting a Momo nob :D

Ooooh...very sexy. Does Momo make one like that for a CVT??!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, your momo is nice! I got myself a Razo of silver black and carbon fiber. Hope it will look nice like yours after I install it. I will try to pull with both hand! yeah! :D

Also, thanks again, I really feel people of Mini family are so nice! :)

·
MINI2 lurker
613 Posts
NoFe2O3 said:
I have a knob from a late-model BMW (also a "Pull-it-Off" type). Does anyone know if this would be compatible with my not-yet-delivered Cooper ?

Im sure someone could answer that if you took a picture of the hollow shaft of the knob. I havent my mini one to hand atm, but its basically a cylindrical hole with a little cross piece at the top that stops the knob rotating and holds it in place.

·
Registered
352 Posts
NoFe2O3 said:
I have a knob from a late-model BMW (also a "Pull-it-Off" type). Does anyone know if this would be compatible with my not-yet-delivered Cooper ?
It won't fit properly.

On a BMW lever, the distance between the locking groove and the bottom of the anti-rotation slot is about 3/8" longer than on a MINI lever.
The knob will slip on, but will rotate on the lever.

Why BMW decided not to make that dimension the same on the MINI lever is beyond me.

·
" Wooooosahhh! "
46 Posts
If I get a whalen knob, will it fit a CVT shifter? I'm considering either getting a whalen since i've heard such good news about them, or just go along and buy a momo

·
Registered
352 Posts
n0zaaa said:
If I get a whalen knob, will it fit a CVT shifter? I'm considering either getting a whalen since i've heard such good news about them, or just go along and buy a momo
That's a good question!
I'm not sure that anyone has ever asked that one before. :confused:

I've never seen a CVT shift lever, so I can't say.

Anyone out there have an answer???

·
" Wooooosahhh! "
46 Posts
Damo said:
The CVT shift has a button on it so no.
well that's like my old 5 series, it had a shift lock too, but i changed the knob on that one and all you have to do is push down on the knob and change, so I wasn't sure if it would work the same way with a mini

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.