MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
RC sailplane flier
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock Mini Cooper S. When I was autocrossing a number of years ago I had heard a comment about some corvette drivers "worth their salt" knowing to shift at 5500 RPM in every gear. In our old Miata you shifted just before the rev limiter kicked in due to the lack of torque for the stock motor.

So are there shift points for the 6-speed Cooper S? Does it make a difference if you are trying for a good autocross time or dragstrip time? (e.g. potential for shifting while cornering vs. straight line only)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
That really going to be opinions and driving styles. Granted a Drag race and not AutoX but have done a few track runs and even though im not the greatest driver. im not bad either. For draging.. when going all out i perfer shifing at 6.9k for best performance, But in comp i do the shifts a 6k to be more consistant. When i shifted at both 7k and 7.1k i would notice a drop in power when the shift was completed.(ASC+T was off) Making me think the REV limiter would kick in during the shift. Again this it considering Your shift style and true speed for the shifts.

On autox with the gear box being a CR box its harder to say.. again style of driving goes along way.. I've seen many that would charge a corner, Brake hard, down shift, Run through the coner at the lower gear (to keep the car in the 6k-7k range), come out hard and shift up right after coming out of the corner for a short run then Rinse and repeat for the next cormer. Where I would take the same corner leave it in the higher gear, brake hard, run through the corner at same speed as the guy who down shifted (5.6-6.2k for me) I would then come out with less if any wheelspin. no time loss for the shift and end up being quicker to the next corner about 50% of the time. For any course we have both run on our total time would be roughly the same. mine a little more consistant than his.But neither one was a clear cut winner.

Hope this helps some.. Simple cause what works for one persons style of driving Maynot be best suited for your style of driving.

Have fun, Be safe, and Keep MOTOV8N

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Having just competed in my first AutoX event on the 25th of July I am by no means an authority but I can say that the main problem coming out of a corner with a MCS is traction. Being at 5,000- 6,000 rpm thru a corner and then trying to accelerate down the straight seems to generate allot of wheel spin. I found that I connected better by just leaving it in 2nd gear all the way around the course. The MCS has plenty of torque from 3,500 rpm to get you motivatin' plenty good, with less wheel spin.

Garfield has written several good threads about AutoX in the MINI2.com site. You could try a search under his name. He is a National Champ in HS class with a MINI Cooper, and is now campaigning in GS with a MCS, I believe.

One of the terms I think he used was that the preformance of the MCS was "traction limited". Meaning that there is plenty of horsepower but limited traction. So, higher gear acceleration would seem to be the best bet.

IMHO

By the way, there is an AutoX event this coming weekend in Bristol, CT. I will be there if you can make it. Look for the blue tent with the MINI banner. For info check out www.cartct.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Bilbo Baggins
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing