MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've joined the ranks of folks who have ordered MINIs out of state (to avoid the ridiculous Cali markup) ... ended up going with MINI of Nashville.

However, after doing some number crunching I'm thinking of having my vehicle shipped instead of flying out and driving it back. However, after calling a few vehicle shippers, I was told by ONE that I should have my car shipped in an enclosed carrier (which basically doubles the price) because of the way the MINI is built (apparently other BMWs and some BENZs have the same problem). Something about shippers do not cover underside damage (to the bottom of the vehicle) and that because of the way the MINI is built, they will have to strap the chains to whatever they can find....and if my car is damaged from the chains, the shipping company won't cover it.

So the questions:
1. Has anyone else been told this or is this just some sales BS that needs to be ignored?
2. If you've had your car shipped, what carrier did you use?
3. Should I ship it enclosed or is an open carrier OK?

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
Couldn't say per se about open or closed, but regardless, pay the extra bucks and get a TOP position. You don't want a weeks worth of somebody else's fluids dripping on your car.

BTW, it seems to me, they break it, they bought it. Any reputable company should stand by an error like that. Not like you are shippiong a one of a kind, home made car. It's a regular production model.

Goodluck.

·
All 4 wheels pointed down
656 Posts
I am getting ready to use Transcar Auto Shippers!

Have to get my MINI from San Antonio to Phoenix! I am going the open truck route! Should be fun!

I did some research before, asking around, and found a couple of MINI owners that shipped their MINIs in an open truck! Both arrived in A-1 condition with some dirt/grim on it! 2 others shipped via enclosed! Ideal, but expensive!

·
Registered
8 Posts
exotic auto transport

I bought my MINI from St. Louis and had it trucked over in an open carrier. I am not sure what position my Coop got, but the car arrived in fairly clean condition. It was not bad at all! This was not an enclosed truck. The trip actually only took 2 days, but it took them about 5 -7 days to pick it up and coordinate it. I was upset over the extra delay, but in the end it worked out great. This was a trucking company that my MA suggested and had worked with in the past.

Exotic Auto Transport, LLC
417-532-9808

The cost was 650.00

Well worth it in my opinion as opposed to going to Crevier and paying an arm and a leg or Long Beach and waiting until the end of time.

=)

-Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.