MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so some of you guys have been helping with tyre advice for which i'm greatful
Had the tyres finally changed today and the tyre fitters told me the reason my tyres have worn down so drastically is that the tyres have been rubbing on the shock absorbers!!!!!:eek:
(see pics)
i've changed all 4 tyres and my car is not at mini waiting for them to inspect the issue!
has anyone else heard of anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Hi Matt

Something very strange.

I have just been out and looked at GP #1657 and taken the attached photo. The lower mounting plate for the spring is circa 20 mm above the tyre the nearest thing to the inside of the tyre is the actual strut which has a depression in it to miss the inside of the tyre by circa 10mm.
Photo is of standard GP wheel, original runflats and standard suspension.

Edit

Can not upload any photos - if you send me your email address by PM I will send you 4 or 5 photos

Edit 2

I have been able to upload a PDF with 1 photo

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Snowie in your picture the top of the tyre does look very close to the bottom of the spring when you take into account the fact that the tyre is going to be moving up and down when moving. You say about 20mm is that not to close? Or what happens if the shock fails, surely the car drops lower?

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
I think that you will find that the tryre never gets any closer to the spring base as this is all on the fixed bit of the suspension - when you go over a bump the spring compresses and everything moves upwards.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Looking again at picture one of Matt's tyre, I would say that the wear is due to under inflation and that it has not rubbed on anything

·
Registered
754 Posts
Looking again at picture one of Matt's tyre, I would say that the wear is due to under inflation and that it has not rubbed on anything
Yes your correct about the bottom of the spring not moving, thinking about it again, all the movement goes on above.

What could appear to be rubbing could well be dirt off the tyre being thrown off the tyre and shot blasting if you like the bottom of the spring:puzzled:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That's ( IMHO ) either under inflation, or simply just excessive inner wear caused by spinning up the unloaded outside tyre in a turn. Seen it before ( My A3 wore out the inside edges too )

Some tyres don't have as much tread depth / rubber thickness on the outside edges.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hi snowie, have just heard from bmw and apparently its due to the tyres being under inflated!
so, £150 bill from bmw here i come for the pleasure of them checking!
just out of curiosity, are you running the standard run flats still on your gps?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
guys, thanks for your help with this
apparently i need to check my tyre pressures every 2 weeks from now on!

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
hi snowie, have just heard from bmw and apparently its due to the tyres being under inflated!
so, £150 bill from bmw here i come for the pleasure of them checking!
just out of curiosity, are you running the standard run flats still on your gps?
Hi Matt

At the moment both cars are on standard runflats. My Falken 452 215/35/18 were shipped to Italy when we moved and will go on GP #0881 when I have sorted out some slight kerb scratches.
# 1657 that is in the UK will stay on the run flats until they are worn out and then will switch to Falkens

·
Registered
754 Posts
guys, thanks for your help with this
apparently i need to check my tyre pressures every 2 weeks from now on!
Did they advise what pressure to put your 18" runflats at?

I have 18" R105's with Dunlop runflats on my Works and I think I set them to 32 psi all round. Never really knew if that was the best pressure for them or not though?

Haven't checked them for about 2 months though, so I think I will make a detour on the way home after this thread.:wink:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they didn't sorry
Alan, what pressure do you run in your 215/35/18 's if you don't mind me asking?

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Hell it must handle horrid mate!

I run 26 fronts 28 rears and it handles the best it ever has on falkens and nangkangs ... i used to run 30 and it was horrid, 33 as BMW remomended at the time was so skitish it just was not funny on aftermarket tyres!

Seems odd that deflating the tyres causes it to rub ... thats not right surely

·
Registered
754 Posts
Richard, I think that the conclusion is that it isn't rubbing at all. It's the under inflation that has caused the tyres to wear like that.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vitesse is right.
I'm wrong and now £860 worse off!
£500 on tyres
£200 on discs and pads
£160 on labour!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts