MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Young at heart
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm 3 weeks into Cooper S ownership and apart from smiling a whole lot more when driving I've discovered 2 quite shocking downsides to owning a go-kart.

Firstly, the brakes are appalling, I'm sure this has been covered on other threads but I really can't believe that for such a small car the brakes are so bad at slowing it down. I'm thinking that the JCW brake upgrade kit that was a long way down my list of mods might have to make it's way nearer the top, pronto !!

Secondly, the MPG. Now, I know I'm currently in my honeymoon period with the car and ragging it everywhere I can, just so the supercharger can sing, but 20MPG average, come on :angry:
I'm sure it will go up a tad once I calm down and drive it more 'sensibly' but purleeeese I was hoping for a bit more. It's not a real ongoing issue since I only drive approx 200 miles a month but I'm quite amazed that you can get that much fuel through a 1.6 :D:D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yup, brakes are a pile of pap. The JCW's are okay for the money, but initial bite still isn't great.

With regards to fuel consumption, to be fair lad, if you're averaging 20mpg, you're properly caining it just about everywhere! Either that, or you might have a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
943 Posts
20mpg? Do you drive round in first?!

I only drive mine at the weekend, and as such give it a good rag and I get 28.5mpg continually...

Calm down mate! :)

·
Young at heart
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have been on a 160 mile round trip to Oxford which returned mid 30's so I'm fairly sure it's not leaking petrol somewhere :D

I obviously need to remove my lead footware before getting in.

I blame BMW for building the car in the first place. If it wasn't so good, I wouldn't feel like giving it a good seeing to everytime I drive it :redface:

As for the brakes, it might be the pads/discs are wearing out. The cars only has 28k on the clock but being an auto it will be a bit heavier on the brake usage anyway.

So if not the JCW jobbies, which ones do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
i have to say with the brakes -
I know they don't feel like they are as good as some other small cars out there, but I absolutely hate driving cars like astras and the like that have that realyl noticable bite. Which also means that the abs on those cars cuts in more often and can make for an uncomfortable ride.

One thing I like about driving the Mini day to day is the progressive braking.

·
Young at heart
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be over the moon with 20mpg :eek: I get 190 miles out of a tank of petrol - city driving!
lol - not only me then.

According to the tech specs at the top of this forum, the auto does 12.8 l/100km which is 22mpg.
so getting an average of 20mpg including rag time and city commute doesn't seem that bad now.

Wish I could get the 41mpg for extra-urban instead :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
lol - not only me then.

According to the tech specs at the top of this forum, the auto does 12.8 l/100km which is 22mpg.
so getting an average of 20mpg including rag time and city commute doesn't seem that bad now.

Wish I could get the 41mpg for extra-urban instead :D

My car does have a smidgen over 260bhp so I probably created the less than 20mpg :rolleyes: :cool:

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
I agree with the brakes, i took the good route home from work and after around 15 mins of hardish driving anf braking it felt like i needed to put my leg out of the door and do an old school push bike stop lol. However they are now 24000 miles old, so i am thinking of keeping the same size discs and going brembo discs and pads? Anyone tried this? By the way i got 25 mpg thrashing in a manual so it is not far off. I do usually get 31 normally though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its all good fun! When I first got my MCS I was ragging it quite a bit but calmed down as I didnt need to for the journey to work because of traffic etc I just took it easy and believe it or not got low 30s on MPG. Its still fun as I got the power when I need it :) and save the fun for those weekend drives.

I wouldnt get rid of it though. No one can put a price on S-Miles lol

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Mini Cooper S economy is a breath of fresh air compared to 6pot BMW ! :D

Fun, Faster and more Economical

win win win!

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
1. Yes they are total and utter pap. I fitted the JCW R53 within 12 months after trying various disc and pad combos as the brakes terrified me so much, and thanks to ThinkMINI I got a great deal via a dealer they knew. However that said, I now have a fair bit more HP and they are back to being scarey again.... I'm hoping some XP8 or XP10 carbotech pads will remedy that as they have worked wonderes for several other users on a selection of brakes from stock-R53JCW-porcshe kits.

2. I return 260 miles from a tank now if i'm gentle. If I motorway then I can get this up to 300 miles and if I rag it I can drop it to 200 or less. Fueling was worse when my car was stock injectors and fuel rail than it is now with 450cc injectors and VFPR and several mods such as a cam. I regular get 220 even when giving it stick where before I'd be below 200. On the track and strip it drops to well under 200 and I get maybe 150-175ish if lucky

1 - 14 of 14 Posts