MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bollocks!!!! (sorry for swearing)

I just failed my driving test. AAAAH!!!

My cooper's due 20th. I had a b**stard of an examiner. I swear he *wanted* me to fail.

/me cries

Does anybody have a gun???

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't worry mate! Loads of people fail first time out (I didn't but hey...I'm a good driver ;) )

Just get yourself down to the DVLA and book a re-test, you'll have a much better chance 2nd time out because you know what you've got coming - just what did you do wrong to fail?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Oh dear!, you must be gutted.

I know I shouldn't laugh but(snigger snigger) you must admit (giggle giggle) in a twisted kind of way its quite funny, kind of black comic timing. Never mind 14 days to try again, Oooops, you have to wait a month now don't you.

Hey Spanky2K you've got the rest of your life

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh dont worry about it :)
I passed on my 3rd attempt :eek: :eek:
1st test:
failed after I skidded about 20yrds on a wet road doing an emergency stop :D :D :p
2nd test:
Failed for driving too close to parked cars on a NARROW ROAD :mad: :mad:
3rd test: passed :cool: :cool: And it was was the examiner from the 1st test :p :p :p

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
I'm just a couple of years older than you Spanky. I passed first time but all my mates haven't (;)) You have to wait a minimum of 10 days before booking your test again, so just keep calling the DSA and asking for cancellations - Best way to get in quickly :)

On another note, I've just got 3 points on my license for speeding, isn't life great? :rolleyes:

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for your support!

The examiner gave me three majors within a minute. We pulled out of the test center and needed to take a left, so there I go turning and this taxi burns it out in the middle of the road. Of course my examiner said that that was my fault. How!? He kept asking me to pull up to the side of the road and then go again. Thing is I've been good enough to pass for ages! I've booked another test, April 15th and BSM are looking out for cancellations for me.

Life's a bitch! :( :mad: :( :mad: :eek:

Just my luck though! Quite amusing! :p

Well insurance on my mini will be the same if I'd passed or if I had a provisional and an over 25 driver could drive as well, so maybe I will be able to drive my baby a litte. At least that way I can run it in before my test and then have fun after!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I can do much better than that. I won't tell you exactly how I failed first time around, but it involved a little old lady and a zebra crossing! Completely my fault, down to a combination of nerves and insufficient appreciation of traffic awareness. Second time round, I'd had more practice and learned the important lesson of anticipation - eyes everywhere, watching everything, assuming all the other road users are blind idiots (most of them are) and it's my job to avoid them!

Ten years on, and the only accident I've ever had was where some other moron ran into the back of me in slow-moving queueing traffic. So I think the lessons stuck.

Most drivers fail first time, and I'd be just as worried about the drivers that pass first time to be honest. It takes weeks and weeks of regular driving to build up sufficient experience.

I would fully recommend getting hold of a copy of "Driving", a guide to road skills published by the DoT. Some very good advice in there, it will give you a real headstart in learning traffic awareness. the Police Drivers' Manual is also publically available, and pretty useful for some more advanced reading.

(I used to use both quite a lot to plan out cross-examinations of motorists involved in accidents - you can usually find something in there that would have avoided the accident if *both* drivers had followed its advice).

·
Registered
530 Posts
I passed the first time after 28 lessons but failed on my first 4 cars (all went to the shredder!!!!):D :D :D

So dont worry
The license is only a piece of paper....

Catch Ya Later,

Cooper I Do

·
Registered
374 Posts
Life's a bitch!
Harry Enfield has teenagers down to a T with his "That is so unfair" sketch. 18 and getting a new Mini as your first car, - yes life's really a bitch.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Red & White Cooper 2 said:

Harry Enfield has teenagers down to a T with his "That is so unfair" sketch. 18 and getting a new Mini as your first car, - yes life's really a bitch.
Seconded, by someone well on his way to becoming one of Harry Enfields 'Old Gits'.

;)

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, but the only reason I'm getting the Cooper as my first car is because of bad luck in the past. My dad died when I was 7 and my mum died when I was 13 leaving me a house to sell. I'm buying a cheaper house and buying a car. It might as well be a car I'll love to bits and keep for years and years, mightened it!

Looks like I'll be driving the mini after all, under a provisional with my guardians in the car. Better than nothing at least. Nivermind, I'll just make the most out of the cards I've been dealt, eh!

·
Registered
330 Posts
spanky2k said:
Nivermind, I'll just make the most out of the cards I've been dealt, eh!
Thats a hard way to come to a MINI, but its a good philosophy you've got there.

Still, if I would hate to have done (most of) the things I did in my first year of driving to a decent car like the MINI. They included writing a car off in spectacular fashion on the same day I passed my test (2nd time round).

:)

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
I just failed my driving test. AAAAH!!!
Sorry to hear that. Failed my first test, too -- ran a stop sign. But honestly, I can plead mitigating circumstances -- the road was a "Y" intersection that was straight-through going one way, and going the other way (after making your 3-point turn) there was a sign ... hidden behind some tree branches. You really had to know the area to have had much of a chance.

Which isn't a bad idea -- drive around the area where they conduct the tests to find out the lay of the land. Watch for blind curves, pedestrian crossings, places where people park in the road frequently, places where people are pulling out from the take-away shop, etc. etc.

Oh - one question - how does getting your license work in the UK? Is this a test to get your "L" sticker, or have you had the learner tag for a while now? Here in the US, it varies by state. In North Carolina, they have "graduated licensing"

Chip H.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A friend of mine got his pilots licence the day he turned 16 and them failed his drivers test a few days later. He could fly a bloody airplane but he couldn't drive a car.:rolleyes:

·
MINI2 Crash Test Driver
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
C.G said:
A friend of mine got his pilots licence the day he turned 16 and them failed his drivers test a few days later. He could fly a bloody airplane but he couldn't drive a car.:rolleyes:
That's what my dad many years ago. Got his pilots license and took an extra year and a half to get about getting his drivers liscence! Crazy!

Oh - one question - how does getting your license work in the UK? Is this a test to get your "L" sticker, or have you had the learner tag for a while now? Here in the US, it varies by state. In North Carolina, they have "graduated licensing"
You apply for a provisional liscence here and then you can drive on the roads with an adult driver (Over 21 with liscence for 3 years) in the car, ie parent or driving instructor. You then have to take a theory test and a practical test before you can drive on your own. If you only have a provisional, you cannot drive on motorways

if you want someone to look after your mini until you are allowed to drive it I know a good home!!!!!!
Lol! Hmmm.... let me think!!! :p :p :eek:

PS Cheers for all your sympathy guys!!!

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Chin up mate:)

I bet there are some Formula One drivers out there that failed first time. You have done the right thing by booking another test straight away. The worst thing you can possibly do is dwell on it. Good Luck with your new test I am sure you will be fine, it is amazing what a difference it makes having a different examiner.

PS./ I passed first time after13 lesson (Lucky Thirteen) but that was over ten years ago and the test seems a lot harder these days. A while back Max Power I think it was made all its employees sit the written test to see how they faired. All of then already held a driving licence so it should have been a breeze. Most people failed :p

Best of luck mate

LMB :)

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
I'm sure you will be OK the second time round.;)
I also failed my driving test first time round, and I didn't take it until I was 28!! (Wasn’t interested in cars, only motorbikes. Had to pass my car test because I needed a small van to lug my guitar and amps around after joining my first rock band!).
The reason I failed was over-confidence!! My gap-judgment between park cars and oncoming traffic was a little bit close for the examiner?? I got too good at judging distances from riding motorbikes. My examiner said it was a known fault? with motorcyclists turning to car driving?! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts