MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm on -100 for service at 44k. Am I really to drive 1 hr to either of the nearest dealerships just to get a filter. It's been two years. Does any auto parts place carry them yet???? Maybe I'll just hose the old one out. :p

update: found the filter, where's the 36mm sprocket??? see below for where i've tried.

btw: there's a chinese filter with the corrrect part number that doesn't fit. terry syther has photos of it on his site. i spent a portion of today sweatin the one i have as it looks very similar.

I'll find out when i find a shallow 36mm or 1 7/16" socket

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jeeze guys! 2 years the mini's been in the US. time for maintenance parts to be stocked by schmo auto parts stores.

my MINI's been serviced as perscribed.
\
where the heck for the derned shallow 32mm 1 7/16" sprocket? That' s the question.
Not sears, home dept, auto zone, advance auto, napa or car quest.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah griot's. but is this going to work on our canister? have you tried it? It kind of makes sense that it would. Does this mean I can use any filter wrench i find today, instead of a 32mm for which i've looked high and low?

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
You can spend a ton of money on the correct one (socket, not sprocket :). or cut a long one in half, for very little money.

I'll try and dig up the link to the correct one.

And you can easily buy the filters from a dealer like Classic that ship parts, though it seems you've already found a supplier.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Here's the thread on either using the sears socket or buying the correct one:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45323&highlight=36mm+socket

And its a 36mm socket, which is probably why you didn't find any info about it looking for 32.

Another thread said it cost $3 for a machine shop to cut down a standard 36mm, but then you still have to use the 1/2 ratchet. Though obehave aparently has used the normal depth 36mm craftsman one.

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
Necessity is the mother of destruction

My favorite method to remove an old oil filter when the proper tool was not available was to stab it in the side with a large screw driver, which then became a convenient handle for removal.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
oldpaint1 said:
My favorite method to remove an old oil filter when the proper tool was not available was to stab it in the side with a large screw driver, which then became a convenient handle for removal.
Might not want to try that in this case though. Could be very expensive.

Done the screwdriver thing though :rolleyes:

·
Domestic Motor Pool Chief
1,150 Posts
obehave said:
Might not want to try that in this case though. Could be very expensive.

Done the screwdriver thing though :rolleyes:
I have proper tools now.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I now have a 1/2" deep 36mm socket to fit a 1/2" drive. Unshortened, the socket cleared just enough to loosen the cover a quarter turn before the opposing plastic wall reversed the rachet and prevented further access.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have great reservations about someone who does not know the difference between a 32 mm "sproket" and a 36mm socket working on mechanical devices that might be on the road when I drive by.

Order some replacement oil filters from the dealer in bulk, and take one with you to a quick oil change place. If they exist where you live.

The thought of you up under a car held up by god knows what honking on the drain plug with a sprocket scares me to death!

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've read on this forum about a chain that did not have a tool to fit the filter housing. They changed the oil free of charge.

Nah. Now that I have the tools and a solid local source for filters (Classic MINI if I want bulk), I feel quite confident in my abilities over those of any Speedy Lube's teenage crew. I have a feeling my second change will not be nearly as frustrating as my first...

And Joe - I've edited the first post. I was wondering where i was getting all this 32mm razzing from. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
GMINI said:
ah griot's. but is this going to work on our canister? have you tried it? It kind of makes sense that it would. Does this mean I can use any filter wrench i find today, instead of a 32mm for which i've looked high and low?
Yes I bought the the wrench from Griot's and it works perfectly.

·
Pole Sitter
83 Posts
Dark Silver S said:
I found mine at Sears. For the longest time, it lived in the cup holder (quite a conversation starter for new passengers).
Word to that. Craftsman, 1/2" drive. I paid $7 for it, went home and worked like a charm. No extension needed! :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
10 Participants
chaincooperS
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing