MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

For a lot of cars you can get short shift kits.

Is there a kit right now on the market for the new mini ?

Has anyone some experiences with it?

If so what´s the price ?

Still waiting to put my winter tyres of.

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
Is it not short enough as it is??? :D :D :D

Otherwise, I ain't seen one yet, but can't see it being that long before a few come out

Dom

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Will the Cooper race cars have anything like this :confused: :confused: :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
finally got around to fitting the Alta short shifter. It is a very well made product and seems to function perfectly. a few tips, some of which may have been noted before:

you are going to have to jack up the car and remove the center exhuast section and the heat shiel, so I waited until I was going to be under there anyway.

the leverage is adjustable, but if you go for much lever increae, the plasitic dustcover won't fit. The cover is held on with snap connectors around the perimeter, so i hooked the ones at the non-interfering end and intentioanally mis-fit the connectore at the tight end, jacking the lid up where it needed it. Duct tape will keep dust out of the crack.

the rod end removal is as described in the directions, but the line "they pop off" oversimplifies it considerably. they do pop off, but I had to rig up tiny crowbar-like gizmo to do it.

Getting the ball link out and back in will turn the air blue, but it can be done. You have to lever carefully agains plastic and not crack it. To get the stock ball out, you need to release three tabs at the same time while pulling up on the shifter, a four handed job. I pushed out one tab at a time and slipped a .006 feeler gage in the right place holding each one open.

the shift knob needs to be replaced with a threaded one and overall, the knob is about 1" lower, depending on the leverage setting you choose (shorter shift is lower)

http://www.altaminiperformance.com/

·
Registered
254 Posts
B&M is due to have one out in the coming month. Should be priced well and easy to install. Will post more when I have one in hand and can report more fully.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
jlm said:

Duct tape will keep dust out of the crack.
Ok, I'm all for new modifications, but is it just me, or does anything which requires Duct Tape :eek: on a less than year old car seem a few fries short of a happy meal?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
i hate that stuff as well, so i'm going to remove the bottom surface of the cover and add on a deeper extension; it only needs about 3/8" more to clear the shifter rods.

My car is still on the stands for some other tweaks, so I haven't made a road test yet

·
Registered
344 Posts
obehave said:
I'll go with whoever makes one so I don't have to give up my Whalen Shift Knob
You know what they say about "Great Minds" ;)

·
My mini is my casket
492 Posts
any luck on a SS that can use the Whalen? I don't want to have to go with Momo or something like that. Whalen is really nice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
does this just make the shift lever shorter so the shift is faster....????
i cut my shift lever down on my jeep once it was great for the first week......then made it longer again.......

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
No, by making it longer below, it has the same effect as shortening the top. I think someone above provided a link to see it. If it's the link I'm thinking about, it should reveal how it adjusts...

·
Registered
779 Posts
The one from Minimania looks well made and allows for the retention of our beloved Whalen shift knobs.

Not clear how it really works but seems to be some type of sleeve that the bottom of the lever fits down into.

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
I've heard that the Mania one is an easy job alright. But, myself and a few others here (different thread) didn't feel very good about set screws holding it together. MINI-Madness is doing something quite similar, but with a seemingly more secure fit. If you find that thread from a few weeks back, I provided a photo from George of his prototype. Hang tight for more solutions...

·
Registered
34 Posts
TonyB said:
I've heard that the Mania one is an easy job alright. But, myself and a few others here (different thread) didn't feel very good about set screws holding it together. MINI-Madness is doing something quite similar, but with a seemingly more secure fit. If you find that thread from a few weeks back, I provided a photo from George of his prototype. Hang tight for more solutions...
George @ MINI Madness has one of our prototypes. The picture he pass around was not the final version we are now producing. All Rogue Engineering dealers (including George) are now shipping our newly released short shifter. Retail price is only $60.

It is a bolt on adapter, which allows the throws to be reduced by 20%. However, we've done something unique to ensure that the adapter says in place. From the custom stainless nyloc patch hardware, to the heat seal around the entire unit, it's a simple idea which has already been track tested by numerous MINI Cooper S and Cooper drivers.

Install is only about an hour, with a lift. It allows for use with the stock shift knob.

Stay tuned as MINI2 will run a contest to give away some of these shifters (one for UK and one for the US). Look to see a product review by Paul M. here on MINI2 at some point in the near future.

·
Don MINIo
1,478 Posts
Hey thanks Ben! Much appreciated. Stay-tuned I will...

·
Registered
6 Posts
SHORT SHIFTER

:velvet:
I like MINI MANIA Short shifter. A new dust cover box seems good to me.
Anyone knows about a original bottom cover of the shifter box. How to remove it? Also, how to pull off the cable from the shifter ball joint?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts