MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from dealers to sign finance for my new JCW. as well has the usually attempt to mis-sell sorry sell me payment protection he also mention this shortfall insurance. should have been £639.96 he said he would do it for £450 or £37.50 interest free over a year. covers me for 3 years whatever my insurance pays out this takes it back to invoice price of £23702.

so theoretically after 2 years and 363 days I could theoretically crash into a wall thus writing off the car.

insurance pay out say £12000
then this insurance would pay £11702

then i could get a brand new car

i thought must be catch so declined his offer

thoughts ??

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
just got back from dealers to sign finance for my new JCW. as well has the usually attempt to mis-sell sorry sell me payment protection he also mention this shortfall insurance. should have been £639.96 he said he would do it for £450 or £37.50 interest free over a year. covers me for 3 years whatever my insurance pays out this takes it back to invoice price of £23702.

so theoretically after 2 years and 363 days I could theoretically crash into a wall thus writing off the car.

thoughts ??
Thoughts?

Well if someone thinks about writing off a car before they get it to make a sting on the insurance to get another new car then there is something seriously wrong with them, and I hope I never see them on the same road as me:rolleyes:

Other thoughts, well its been a nice day outside, I wish I hadn't been in the office today.

Did a chicken every cross the road, and if it did how come it wasn't in the paper rather than someone deciding to write a joke about?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thoughts?

Well if someone thinks about writing off a car before they get it to make a sting on the insurance to get another new car then there is something seriously wrong with them, and I hope I never see them on the same road as me:rolleyes:

Other thoughts, well its been a nice day outside, I wish I hadn't been in the office today.

Did a chicken every cross the road, and if it did how come it wasn't in the paper rather than someone deciding to write a joke about?
i am not saying i would do that but i admit i wrote it in a flippant way, its just when buying a car its insurance this insurance that extra cover blah blah blah. what next bird lime insurance

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
if you really want it they can go down on the price a lot, i knew I didnt want it as i was already paying loads for insurance so I kept saying no and it eventually went down to £200 but I still didn't buy it

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Ive had it on all mine (except the first I think) as I personally dont want to have a car of this value without it. I paid £300 for 3 years on mine....paid £150 for 3 years on the S as they struck a deal due to only having the other one 3 months.

For me, i'd rather spend out £300 now, and not really have to worry if anything did happen, than have to pay out ££££'s (potentially) without it.

Thats my views :)

·
Loving his JCW!!!
273 Posts

thoughts ??
my dealer went down to exactly the same amount. They made out it was a favour since i agreed to take delivery a day early so my car would count towards their september sales figures and earn them a big bonus!. I don't really want gap anyway.

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
i got return to invoice insurance on mine for £124 (3 year cover) underwritten by AXA from Surf and Protect. Initially it was more, but they have a price match policy plus a fiver extra off so i got them to price match click4gap, i was happier with a known industry name being the underwriter.

I thought it was worth having for that sort of money as i am repaying the car for the next three years and would hate to be in the situation where the car is written off and has depreciated more than i have repaid - as i do big miles this would be likely the case. For my policy the max repayment is 10k but you can get more - my car was £17.5k invoice price. You can go higher for a car of greater value which is probably recommended, perhaps 15k cover? Depends how much it's likely to be worth after 3 yrs, if less than 14.5k then you should top it up.

technically though it is only really two years cover (years two and three) as my insurance policy pays out the full purchase price if the car is totalled in the first year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts