MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im designing my mini one convertible and cannot decide if i should get air con or not...? friends n family have mixed opinions? its quite pricy at £600 can anyone help me decide?:puzzled:

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Yes you need it, as some days it will just be too hot to have the roof down without the risk of burning, or if you are on the motorway you might not want the roof down etc

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Despite being a convertible I would say yes.

The weather in the UK means that its not always going to be possible to have the roof down, but the car will still get hot :p

Also it may well have a bit of an affect come resale time :)

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
If you're doing long motorway journeys with the roof down and no A/C, you will be burnt to a cinder, and have no hair left :p So for longer journeys, and to stop the car steaming up, then yes definatly :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nope ....

We have a mini one convertible and have never felt the need to have it.
We have it in our other car (BMW X3) and dont use it in that either.

Some times we have the roof up and the front and back windows open, its got great line when this is done.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
As with anything on the MINI, your spec is your own personal choice.... Some people would spec it, some wouldn't.

I didn't have it on my Convertible, and to be honest in 3.5 years and 58k miles, there were only a couple of occasions where A/C would have been nice.

£600 is a lot of cash that you can spend elsewhere - if you think you can live without it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personally, I think that air con is one of those luxuries that you can easily live without.
My Mini has air con, but I bought it second hand. There's no way I'd spec it at £600. I could count the number of times i've felt the need to use it on one hand (In traffic jams, on rare hot days).
I'd use the money on other things, if speccing a new Mini.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Always thought with a car like the mini and how much you pay for the things air con would be standard, is it standard with the hardtop?

·
Just been Clubbed!
379 Posts
Yes get it!
It maybe rare we get scorching hot days but i use it quite often just to chill the air to arrive at work cool and fresh and not blown around from the windows open :cool:
If you're splashing out on a brand new ONE then whats another £600.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
People on the used market demand air con, and you will most probably recoup the cost upon resale, so go for it!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
YES 100%. Anyone who's had A/C and knows how to use it in winter and summer would miss it if they didn't have it. Modern systems don't hit fuel economy so hard. It's expected on most cars nowadays so I can't understand why BMW don't put as standard across the MINI range?

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
YES 100%. Anyone who's had A/C and knows how to use it in winter and summer
Am I missing something? You push the button to turn it on, and push it again to turn it off? :D

Going back through my car history, my car prior to my first MINI had manual aircon, the MINI Cabrio didn't have aircon, then I went to a Merc CLKwith autoair so it was always on regardless, now back in a MINI with aircon, and I rarely use it.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I find the aircon invaluable........about a dozen times a year! If it's warm, and not raining, then I open the roof. But I agree with the comments that a non-aircon car is becoming a rarity, and it could make the difference when you come to sell......one day

Ian

·
:: 32mpg woo! ::
1,023 Posts
I didn't have AC on my One Convertible, and to be honest I didn't miss it.... Saying that though, my current motor has Auto AC and now that I'm use to it, I'm not sure I could live without it:confused:

As has been said, its all personal preference. Whilst it will help with the resale value, it is an expensive extra, and the money could be spent on something else. I do think that it is an 'expected' feature of modern cars, whether convertible or not.

In my opinion though, I wouldn't have said that it was a necessity, especially if there are alternative optional extras that you would like.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It is a must have.
Many people just do not use it properly as it is the best instant demist in winter -just switch it on with recirc & misting goes. Climate control can be done without IMHO.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
YES 100%. Anyone who's had A/C and knows how to use it in winter and summer would miss it if they didn't have it. Modern systems don't hit fuel economy so hard. It's expected on most cars nowadays so I can't understand why BMW don't put as standard across the MINI range?
Why would they - they can sell us it as an optional extra and make even more money! Lets face it, the amount of MINIs bought if aircon is optional isn't going to be any less really than if it was standard! Its all about greed! :angry:

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
Why would they - they can sell us it as an optional extra and make even more money! Lets face it, the amount of MINIs bought if aircon is optional isn't going to be any less really than if it was standard! Its all about greed! :angry:
oy. :p

actually, i suspect it's that there are some people who actually don't use it very often. :p not everyone wants it, or needs it. so it's not standard. why make people pay for something they won't use?

·
Dooper is the dogz!
1,458 Posts
You should spend the extra on air-con - I find it much more valuable to have in winter than in summer, it is not just for cooling down the car. It is so good to be able to drive around without the windows steaming up, and visibility ain't great in a MINI convertible with the hood up, so you need all the help you can get!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts