MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide whether to get white wheels or not. I've read some posts that said they were very hard to keep clean. For those of you who have them, how often do you have to clean them? Is washing them once a week enough? And would you order them again on a new Mini?

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I’m asking myself the same question! I've only had my car on order for 1 week and already I’ve gone through all the should I have white wheels, does the white roof look better than black type questions.

I'm honestly starting to think the white wheels will be too much work. I’ve seen them in the showrooms when they look great, but every time I see a mini with white alloys on the road or in a car park the wheels always look dirty. As I’m lazy I think maybe the white wheels might be the wrong option for me (especially in the winter months when I rarely wash my car more than once a month!).

·
Joy!
1,333 Posts
basically, with a mini, no matter what colour alloys u get...its gonna get dirty!

Go for the white i say, just get some autoglym clean wheels...whenever thier dirty, it removes the brake dust a treat and will only take about 4 minutes to wash them :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm a bit lazy with mine so the front wheels tend to look very mucky! I don't worry about it too much - the silver ones on my prrevious Cooper looked very mucky as well in no time! Going back to silver wheels for the MCS I have on order though - not because I don't like the white wheels, just prefer silver wheels with red body colour, whereas my current car is black and the white wheels go really well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
After over 2 years of owning 2 minis, I have to say don't go with the white wheels.
My first mini was a cooper with normal alloy and they were bad enough to keep clean. I have has my S with white alloys for 18 months and had to change the brake pads. straight away. the standard pads you get are not all that good. After 50 miles they need a clean, so if you are that keen on washing them then get them.
My MCSC arrives in March and i'm not going with white. I am even getting the dealer to fit EBC Green Stuff pads all-round even before I collect it, and I do wash it every week.
If you really want the white alloys get different pads fitted. Oh and if you don't wash the white alloys often enough they will stain eventually and they will never look like new.
Depending on what body colour you are going for the white alloys do look good.

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
One word....hell yeah!

If you have the white roof, white bonnet stripes and white wing mirrors, then the wheels just complete the look and my MINI looks far better then if it just had plain silver ones! I mean the white wheels cost NO extra to have and make the car stand out more...I mean how many other cars have white wheels?!

And people say they show up the dirt more...well yeah but generally people clean their MINIs regularly to keep their pride and joys looking amazing! And in Summer, when the roads are wet or muddy, the sun just beams off my wheels and looks the part!
And in winter, just do what I do...stay off the sides of the road and a lot less crap gets on them!

Someone said to me, that changing the brake pads reduces the amount of brake dust put on to them...but it just takes me 10 minutes maximum and a hosepipe to clean my wheels.

Overall: Same price and look amazing!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cooper_S_Cab said:
...Oh and if you don't wash the white alloys often enough they will stain eventually and they will never look like new.
Depending on what body colour you are going for the white alloys do look good.
They stain??? well that looks like the final nail in the coffin unless someone else can talk me into them

I'm getting a hyper blue MCS with white roof and bonnet stripes, thought the white alloys might finish off the look but it looks like i'd be forced to was it more often.

Sorry if i'm not sounding as keen about looking after my mini as some, but if its cold and raining most days i can't be bothered to go out and wash any car!

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
WhiteNoiseMaker said:
They stain??? well thats the final nail in the coffin!

I'm getting a hyper blue MCS with white roof and bonnet stripes, thought the white alloys might finish off the look but it looks like i'd be forced to was it more often.

Sorry if i'm not sounding as keen about looking after my mini as some, but if its cold and raining most days i can't be bothered to go out and wash any car!
Basically what I do is on a more regular basis to cleaning the whole car (once a week compared to like once every 3 weeks), I just clean the wheels and the windscreen (I live in near the New Forest, so I get a lot of bugs and tree crap landing on it) since the rest of the car just hardly gets dirty and so just do that! It only takes a few minutes and if you do it once a week, then dirt will hardly build up!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Here's my thoughts on the white alloys and why I wanted them,

They stand out much more than the standard silver alloys and you don't see white alloys on any other cars (that I’ve seen anyway). they sort of complete the white roof, mirror caps and bonnet stripes. Plus if they do get kerbed I’m thinking it would be easier for me to touch up the paint work on them than it would be with the standard silver ones.

Right or wrong?

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
WhiteNoiseMaker said:
Here's my thoughts on the white alloys and why I wanted them,

They stand out much more than the standard silver alloys and you don't see white alloys on any other cars (that I’ve seen anyway). they sort of complete the white roof, mirror caps and bonnet stripes. Plus if they do get kerbed I’m thinking it would be easier for me to touch up the paint work on them than it would be with the standard silver ones.

Right or wrong?
Right....definitely right. Kinda doing the old stepping on my point...but I'm too happy to care! I drive a MINI!

Well I have kerbed mine TWICE in the same place but only kinda a little around the edges because my 17 inchers don't have any tyre prutruding out to kinda buffer any kerb. But I haven't found out where to get the touch up paint or how much it costs.

·
Registered
243 Posts
MINI Poser said:
Right....definitely right. Kinda doing the old stepping on my point...but I'm too happy to care! I drive a MINI!

Well I have kerbed mine TWICE in the same place but only kinda a little around the edges because my 17 inchers don't have any tyre prutruding out to kinda buffer any kerb. But I haven't found out where to get the touch up paint or how much it costs.
Okay I’ll keep them on my order. I'll just have to change my lazy ways or hope global warming makes the winters drier and warmer so I don't freeze my ass off washing those wheels! :D

·
The Red Fox
4,979 Posts
WhiteNoiseMaker said:
Okay I’ll keep them on my order. I'll just have to change my lazy ways or hope global warming makes the winters drier and warmer so I don't freeze my ass off washing those wheels! :D
Well with today's temperature in the scaryily high 15C today (thanks to MINI thermometer) I think that has already began! But remember, in this country, it would be global cooling, and so our wheels would get even dirtier! I mean with all the rain we have had lately, I didn't drive my car if I could help it so my wheels didn't get dirty!

But don't let that put you off getting them! ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MINI Poser said:
One word....hell yeah!

If you have the white roof, white bonnet stripes and white wing mirrors, then the wheels just complete the look and my MINI looks far better then if it just had plain silver ones! I mean the white wheels cost NO extra to have and make the car stand out more...I mean how many other cars have white wheels?!

And people say they show up the dirt more...well yeah but generally people clean their MINIs regularly to keep their pride and joys looking amazing! And in Summer, when the roads are wet or muddy, the sun just beams off my wheels and looks the part!
And in winter, just do what I do...stay off the sides of the road and a lot less crap gets on them!

Someone said to me, that changing the brake pads reduces the amount of brake dust put on to them...but it just takes me 10 minutes maximum and a hosepipe to clean my wheels.

Overall: Same price and look amazing!
Very good points Mini Poser. I also think the white wheels complete the look with white roof and mirrors (especially with Chili Red!). My heart says white but my head is saying silver. I think I'm going with my heart. Like most of you have said, the silver needs as much cleaning as the white so why not?

Oh, what do you use to clean them? Soap and water? Or special cleaner for wheels? I don't wash my car much. I usually go to the car wash.

·
kgouin
481 Posts
I would get the white rims. I have them and they really aren't that bad to clean. I use Zaino on my car and also use it on the rims. When I wash my MINI I just wash the rims alsong with it. Inbetween washings I usually wipe them off once a week with a towel. The white rims will be coming off Thanksgiving week and my silver winter rims will be going on so I will be able to see the difference from white to silver.

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
When they are clean, white wheels look amazing. Absolutley spectacular. One of the guys in our club swears by the EBC pads, so I think I am going to upgrade soon.

See gallery.... :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RVW said:
:red: :red: :)

It all down to your personal choice ;) Go with your instincts :D

Here`s a pic to cloud the issue:p :D
Oooh, nice Mini. Thanks for the pic. It really stands out with the white wheels.

By the way, where can I get Zaino? I found their website but can you buy it in stores?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts