MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, contacted my dealer yesterday to inform them that I was again locked in the car. Driver door will not open, and was basically asked if I want to reject the car (caught me by surprise). I have had loads of niggles from day one, which ended up with the car being damaged during a repair attempt. The roof was repaired/repainted and we were compensated.

My worry is that we may end up with a 'new' car that is just as bad. Do we think that the later build cars seem to be more reliable, surely these 'niggles' are being addressed at the factory.

Can any owners of a recently recieved MINI confirm that the dreaded drift/pull problem is sorted.

Martyn, I wrote a letter to the dealer and sent copies to BMW and MINI listing all the faults. I recommend you do this ASAP.

In my opinion when it comes to selling the car in 2- 3 years time, the motoring press will recommend that buyers "steer" ( no pun intended) away from the early build models.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
blade929 said:
Well, contacted my dealer yesterday to inform them that I was again locked in the car. Driver door will not open, and was basically asked if I want to reject the car (caught me by surprise). I have had loads of niggles from day one, which ended up with the car being damaged during a repair attempt. The roof was repaired/repainted and we were compensated.

My worry is that we may end up with a 'new' car that is just as bad. Do we think that the later build cars seem to be more reliable, surely these 'niggles' are being addressed at the factory.

Can any owners of a recently recieved MINI confirm that the dreaded drift/pull problem is sorted.

Martyn, I wrote a letter to the dealer and sent copies to BMW and MINI listing all the faults. I recommend you do this ASAP.

In my opinion when it comes to selling the car in 2- 3 years time, the motoring press will recommend that buyers "steer" ( no pun intended) away from the early build models.
If I was in your position, and BMW had "asked" if you wanted to reject it. I would do it without hesitation. Read between the lines.....

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
If the option is there then take it and get another one without a repaired roof.
My car is an august build and has had minor problems but no more than you would expect from a new model so dont be affraid Go and get another MINI

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can you reject it

Does anybody know the legal process to got through to reject a new MINI??
Loads of problems with my girlfriends mini one--back to the dealer all the time----girlfriend wants a car she can use everyday without problems and time off work.
Can anybody help??
[email protected]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted BMW UK and they informed me that the car 'rejection' will always be at the dealers discretion. They have the authority to replace a troublesome vehicle.

I think that the technical term would be that you are rejecting the car because it is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. Citizens advice would be able to help.

The main thing is to put it in writing as soon as possible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What have they done about you getting locked in? I had the same problem (along with a number of other niggles) and I'm pleased to say my dealer has done a great job of fixing it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
replaced the locking mech, from another mini in the showroom, still not fix though

·
Registered
272 Posts
hello blade

i got my car last week and unfortunately there is a pull to the left, however there is also a brighter side to all the problems... build quality is nothing short of brilliance- no squeaks and no rattles and i think its much much better than my papa's 3 series... and plus i have booked in to get the pulling sorted...

so i just hope to confirm that niggles and squeaks are all one offs and that it is a brilliant brilliant car and hope u still have confidence with it :)

happy new year to u all

·
Registered
12 Posts
The problem I had with getting locked in was solved by realignment of some rod in the doors. Don't know any more than that.

The many squeaks and rattles were solved by tightening up screws and adding extra grease to various components of the car.

My MINI is now everything I hoped it would be and more. I can certainly understand the disappointment and frustration at owning a new car that is less than perfect, I'd be tempted to give another dealer a chance at repairing it blade.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wrong end of the Stick (apparently)

After talking to the dealer today, I was informed that I misunderstood the 'reject' offer, and was informed that I would need to persue this through BMW Customer Service.

Either that or the guy was told he was out of order offering me the 'reject' in the 1st place !!!!!

Not sure what to do now :( :( :(

·
Registered
906 Posts
Blade,
its really simple. Just send both your dealer and BMW a letter that you are rejecting the car as of poor quality and that you have lost faith in the car and their ability to fix it.

Be sure to mention that you will take the matter further if you do not get a satifactory response. Mention bad publicity. That should at least make them sit up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
blade929 said:

Admittedly it's very early days - 2 days ownership and only about 200 miles covered - but my MINI has no hint of a pull or drift. It also feels very solid and is squeak/rattle free. It was built a couple of weeks ago.

The only "fault" found so far is odd kick-plates fitted to the sills:- Cooper on the offside and One on the nearside!! Not spotted at the factory or the dealership, even though I noticed it the second the door opened!!

If you can reject your car, I would do so. After a such bad beginning you may always have a negative feeling towards that particular car. Make a clean start if you can, but don't be put off owning a Mini.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Should I REJECT it.

ricardo said:

Admittedly it's very early days - 2 days ownership and only about 200 miles covered - but my MINI has no hint of a pull or drift. It also feels very solid and is squeak/rattle free. It was built a couple of weeks ago....... but don't be put off owning a Mini.
This sounds good....a friend of mines father bought an early build Cooper and is over the moon with it. No sign of pulling or any other problem. At least the kickplates are cosmetic and can be easily rectified....

Congratulations on getting your MINI, whilst many here have to wait and wait and wait..........sigh !;)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Re: Should I REJECT it.

ricardo said:
... - 2 days ownership and only about 200 miles covered - but my MINI has no hint of a pull or drift. It also feels very solid and is squeak/rattle free. It was built a couple of weeks ago.
That's music to my ears:D :D

Not long to go now..Jan02 moving ever so closer;)

Happy Motoring!

LMB:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
suprise suprise

Hi guys
latest in the replacement fiasco involving SCOTTHALL BMW LEEDS----
The 6th or 7th attempt at fixing the very poor interior trim actually made it worse--aparently every interior panel has been removed and felt washers placed around each of the plastic pieces that hold the panels onto the metal. In the process of doing this, the drivers side headlining has been damaged and now resembles the shape of a banana. Also the "b" post finisher doen't fit the headling and all the origional sqeaks, cracks and rattles are now joined by zinging, resonance and the odd tick-tock noise from under the passenger side dash.
After a brief chat with the sales director of Scotthall yesterday, he said he would get on the case and get in touch with BMW headquaters. Half an hour after leaving he rang saying that the person he needed to talk to was on holiday(suprise-suprise) and then said he would ring back today.
Well he never did!!!--after a phone call from my girlfriend, the receptionist explained that he had been in "meetings" all day---yeah right!
We now await a phone call tommorow-----tommorow never comes!!!!!!!!
The conduct of Scotthall deserves to be highlighted as I feel the customer care and after sales service we have recieved from them to be the WORST I have ever encountered from any garage.
My advice to anybody wanting a MINI or BMW would be to look elswhere!
If their conduct changes and they follow through with their promises I shall let you know----
maybe a change of management is needed?????
Completely pissed off with whole mini experience:mad:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the saga has almost ended.

I have been told today that we will be getting a replacement car. This is being ordered next week.

This has followed being locked out of our car twice again, and the windscreen trim being incorrectly fitted after a windscreen replacement. (As well as numerous other faults)

I have to say that my dealer has been superb in both trying to fix the faults, and listening to my reqests for a new vehicle.

I only hope the new ones off of the line are a little better when bolted together

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers Martyn,

Have they given you a replacement vehicle in the mean time ???

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No figures, Just a straight swap. Happy with our spec.

Not sure what the latest options are anyway. Believe MF steering wheel and DSC are now available.

Xenons,Vis package ?????????

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1100 miles. But we can keep this till the new one comes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts