MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
totally sure!
25,310 Posts
see that's the problem with Britain today, no one has any common sense and every thing is some ones else responsibility, the main purpose of the airline is to place air in tyres not to check psi/bar in said tyre, using a little common sense and taking your own gauge and checking pressures is better than going mad at the poor dude in the shop, please remember a petrol station is a retail business not a public service !
Ok the purpose of the airline is indeed to put air into tyres.....sadly I don't have room in my handbag for my own personal tyre pressure gauge, and actually, I really don't want to have to carry one about with me anyway! Stupidly I trust the one that is in the garage believing it will give me an accurate reading!

Now could you imagine the screams if the petrol pump delivered the wrong amount of petrol, but it just so happens I have my own petrol pump measuring gauge in my handbag.....:rolleyes:

·
220 Wild Stallions
2,790 Posts
I think there are two different disputes going on here. The attitude of the attendant and the fact that the tyre pressure machine was faulty. IMO by all means write and complain about the attitude of the attendant - there was no harm in him saying to you "gosh, I didn't realise, I'll get someone to take a look at it/I'll phone the company who owns the machine" - if he had you probably would have walked away without much concern and alot less stressed!! However like someone in an earlier thread said and if his job is the same as my friend who works full time in the big BP garage down the road from me, it won't be in his job description to be checking a tyre pressure machine..... Now comes the machine's owners responsibility, and there probably would be a phone number/address on it somewhere that you could phone to advise them of the problem - hopefully (!) the forecourt staff would have also done the same!! Job done! No need for getting stressed, but I don't think the attendant went about it in the right way, so do write, if you can be bothered, about his attitude. I hate bad service myself!!
Just read this reply back through and not sure if it makes any sense what so ever, so sorry !!! :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Report the garage. Doesnt matter who's responsibility it is....his attitude stinks.

Unfortunately that attitude is very typical in this country today. All you can do is try.

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
HI..
Attitude is what it's all about - machines break it's no ones fault.
The response "who's going to know" is the issue both from a safety and moral standpoint.

I rang Shell this morning and they were concerned and will follow the complaint up.
I did have to laugh though when the customer rep told me "I agree that this shows a very bad attitude, but the attendants are under a lot of pressure".

Whatever........
A doctor or nurse working in an A&E trauma ward is under pressure, not a garage attendant at 8:50am on a Sunday morning or any other time for that matter.
Oh my goodness, if you don't take the money at the till quick enough what disaster will occur - oh the customers will have to wait a little longer..

As a self-employed person I'm sick of all this bleeding heart garbage when it comes to jobs and customer service in this country.
If I don't satisfy my clients then I have none and I work in a very fickle industry where bad news travels fast - lunch breaks, sick pay, holiday pay, weekends off.......what's that?

A close friend of mine worked as a retail manager for a couple of years in a department store whilst doing her graphic design masters.
She would be tearing her hair out most of the time as many people working under her held the attitude that they should be paid just for showing up - then when it got to be too much it would take 6 months to fire them with all the verbal/written warnings etc that had to be given first.

Unfortunately it’s a simple fact that the UK has some of the worst attitudes to customer service in the Western World (and I know this from experience) – on the flip side however the cost of living is very reasonable...:aargh:

Anyway, rant over.
Cheers, Geoff.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
unfortunately this is what happens when you have a pathetic minimum wage, i am sure if the dude was on £8 plus a hour he would have gone out of his way to help you
Unlikely, he would most probably have the same feck it all attitude, but with with the addition of a smug grin because he's lining his pocket even more.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Never check my tyres as theyre Run Flats :p

Seriously though as has been mentioned it's just common sense. Report the matter and hope it gets looked at. I don't think I would use any garages facilities apart from filling up.

Carrying your own tyre pressure gauge is again no great trauma, whether your a guy or a girl......Im sure there is room in your handbag, even for guys.........:) Then again you ask yourself how many vehicles in the country, have low oil levels, minimum coolant, no air in the tyres and never had the bonnet lifted!!......you would be surprised.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts