MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am departing for Nottingham university in September and I am not sure what to do with my car. You are not allowed to bring up cars in the first year and I probably wont bring it up in the 2nd or third years anyway.
I was thinking I could sell my mini now and get about £12000 for it with all the extra bits sold separately. Then leave the money in a fixed savings account. When I finish my 3 year course I would have about £14500 waiting for me to buy a brand new mini :D as well as some other money I have kicking around. By then my insurance would have gone down a bit as I will be 22 and I can buy a Cooper S.
This is all good in theory but that would leave me with the problem of having no car in the holidays.....
Anyone have any ideas of what to do or should I keep my beloved mini? :confused:
(I cant drive my parents cars as my dad has a subaru WRX STI and a Morgan and my mother has an Audi quattro........)
If you have the patients to read this post well done and thank you!!

·
mini power
44 Posts
Dude, sell your car.......

Then use your first year student loan and money from sale to buy MCS for your second and third year. Im at bristol uni and i have my Mini, its handy for shopping and you have to go for a spin every now and again......think i would miss driving if i didnt have a car for three years.

Im 19 and got insurance on my S and i love it, had it a week and 2 days now........nearly done 1000miles already :D :dark:

Mini adventures too all

·
Lovin my iPod
1,935 Posts
It seems a shame to sell such a nice car, but how much will you use it if you keep it - will you be coming home that often?
I had cars all the way through university - no where near as nice as yours though. I'd have missed not having the use of it.
Good luck with your decision and results. ;)
G :ibblack:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mini123 said:
Dude, sell your car.......

Then use your first year student loan and money from sale to buy MCS for your second and third year. Im at bristol uni and i have my Mini, its handy for shopping and you have to go for a spin every now and again......think i would miss driving if i didnt have a car for three years.

Im 19 and got insurance on my S and i love it, had it a week and 2 days now........nearly done 1000miles already :D :dark:

Mini adventures too all
Is your insurance a fortune?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have become so attached to my car and it would be hard to see it go, have to start all my modding again. It is a very tough decision! Help!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Devilsushi, I went to Nottm Uni, graduated in 1999 & I drove my AXGT all the way through. There are student parking permits which enable you to park around the perimiter of the campus. This was perfectly safe & I never had any problems (although I did park where I shouldn't have parked once & got fined 40 quid, which I had to pay or no degree!).

Lots of students came with cars, so you might want to check that out.

What are you going to study?

Best
- blues
"Did it Again"

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Studying history of art. I wont be using it that much up there though because the bus systems are very good there.........and too be honest I wont be fit to be driving....;)

·
mini power
44 Posts
My insurance is £1800 with elepant which isnt too bad, was £600 on my mini one that i had before. I dont know if 1800 is expensive but other quotes i had were all above 2000.

I kept my mini one in my first year, your home a hell of a lot, reading weeks and 3 months off in the summer :D

If you dont think you will be home much then selling or lending to family member may be best......it would be hard tho!

Can you not have your car at uni at all??? They always say their is limited parking but in a city when is'nt there!

Your car looks sweet so its probably worth keepin dude, you have nothing to loose really....and you have the joy of driving it when your home!!!

Good luck :dark:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mini123 said:
My insurance is £1800 with elepant which isnt too bad, was £600 on my mini one that i had before. I dont know if 1800 is expensive but other quotes i had were all above 2000.

I kept my mini one in my first year, your home a hell of a lot, reading weeks and 3 months off in the summer :D

If you dont think you will be home much then selling or lending to family member may be best......it would be hard tho!

Can you not have your car at uni at all??? They always say their is limited parking but in a city when is'nt there!

Your car looks sweet so its probably worth keepin dude, you have nothing to loose really....and you have the joy of driving it when your home!!!

Good luck :dark:
Thanks mate!

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Tough call !! It isn't my decision but I can't make my mind up what you should do! :confused:

Nice MINI by the way! :D

·
XYZ
271 Posts
Just finished my first year at Essex Uni (no laughing). I didn't want to stay away from home as there would be no where to leave my baby and it would have to be sold :(

But having kept it and driving 50 miles there and back (long haul I know) I'm not regretting it one little bit - I stay with my mates there if I wanna go out and get slaughtered or generally have a good time on campus :D

Thats not much use to you mate but I'm pretty sure you'd miss her when she's gone - I know I would - doesn't even bare thinking about LOL

Anyway, hope your decisions right for you

Good Luck

:bone: Pat :bone:

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
Dale,

I hate to say it, but you should consider selling it. I had a car at Uni for my second, third and fourth years, which was fine because I was not in halls. I assume you are going into halls for your first year in which case I'm fairly sure you will struggle to park it near by. Having said that I wouldn't have been without a car in my last 3 years.

Just be wary of 2 things:

1) No-one else will have a car so you run a risk of becoming a glorified taxi

2) I had 4 different cars while a t Uni (all beaten up old things) and everyone of them got vandalised in one way or another. This is fine if it's worth £500, not so great when it's worth £12k (worst time was someone kicked in my drivers door on an old AX).

Plus if you are totally honest and give your 'student' postcode for the insurance they are going to stuff you right up.

just my 2p :D

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grings said:
Dale,

I hate to say it, but you should consider selling it. I had a car at Uni for my second, third and fourth years, which was fine because I was not in halls. I assume you are going into halls for your first year in which case I'm fairly sure you will struggle to park it near by. Having said that I wouldn't have been without a car in my last 3 years.

Just be wary of 2 things:

1) No-one else will have a car so you run a risk of becoming a glorified taxi

2) I had 4 different cars while a t Uni (all beaten up old things) and everyone of them got vandalised in one way or another. This is fine if it's worth £500, not so great when it's worth £12k (worst time was someone kicked in my drivers door on an old AX).

Plus if you are totally honest and give your 'student' postcode for the insurance they are going to stuff you right up.

just my 2p :D
Thanks for the advice mate! I am pretty sure I would not take my car up to uni now. The only thing stopping me from selling it is how I will get around when I am at home...

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Tough decison........

You dont really need a car at Uni at least for the first year, but you do need a car for when you're at home...

You have a cracking looking car, that is obviously cherished and looked after.

At your age, and with students coming out of Uni. broke and owing thousands I'd keep it, there's no guarentee you'll have the cash from the car sale in 3 years :)

Good luck whatever you decide :rolleyes:

·
Rep withdrawal sucks.....
1,086 Posts
Hey devilsushi2000,

Another way of looking at your current situation, is to ask yourself this very simple question:

"Is owning a car an investment, or an expense?"

If you were to create a balance sheet, and had to list your assets and debt, you would see that your car is actually a depreciating asset. It's definitely not an investment, by any stretch of the imagination, as it starts costing you money right from day one. Depreciation, cost of maintenance, insurance - this is all money that you will never get back.

Where a car pays off for itself, is if it helps you make money (now or in the future), ie going to your work and back, making deliveries, going to school, etc. If you don't need a car for any of this, then it's costing you money, or you have to make money to pay for it.

With all this in mind, seeing that you really don't need a car for 2-3 years, you don't really need this MINI then (I can't believe I'm saying that!! :eek: ). With the money gained from selling the car, the the elimination of expenses like insurance, gas, a monthly parking spot, you will be in a very good financial position while you are at university.

I would dare say that in a few years time, when you are done with university, and have to buy a new car again, you could actually buy a used Cooper that's newer that your current car, with similar mileage, for probably the same amount of money as what you sold your car for. But you would have saved a mint in extraneous expenses, and gotten a newer car to boot.

I think the conclusion is clear :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
9 Participants
devilsushi2000
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing