MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a CooperS sometime soon.
I really like the looks of the R52/53's over the 56/57's, inside out.
I like the new features on R56/57 such as smartkey, built in bluetooth, usb ports, new GPS-navi, etc. but I still like the R53 better.
Most of those other than smartkey will be easy to add but true clamshell hood, look of the headlights, etc could not be altered, so I'm leaning towards R53 while I can still get them.
The only thing that keeps me thinking is the fuel economy.
I've seen that R57 is about 2L more per 100km (sorry, metric here) than R56 (although comparing a convert to a coupe wouldn't fair).
Is this going to be a big difference?
Would I be significantly buying more gas with R53 over the new ones?

Also, if I get a JCW one, how much would I lose on the fuel economy?
Can't seem to find data on R57 JCW's.

Lastly, Does anyone know if I can still factory-order R53's?
Asked my dealer and he said he's 100% sure that the current converts are ready to order. :puzzled:
If not, I'd probably get one seating on their lot.

Oooh.. one more.
Is LSD worth having?
Can I still live without it and not regret not getting one?
Or, could I get that installed later?
Most of the JCW upgrades, I could probably get better performance per dollar if I do aftermarket parts (engine, intake, exhaust, brakes, etc) but LSD.. I don't know about getting an aftermarket LSD (or retrofit)?

Thanks all.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Wow - lots of questions!

Since the R57 is not yet officially announced, not sure where you are getting your detailed info from? The new engines are definitely more economical than the old ones, like for like, and have all the new MINImalism technology to make them so. R57 is due to appear officially at the Detroit Motor Show on or about 20th Jan, and deliveries are rumoured to be due sometime in March - but I suppose could be later for you folks the other side of the Atlantic.

I believe that the last R53 rolled off the production line this summer, so it would be pretty surprising to find you could still spec one up at your dealers - but please do try and see what the outcome is! I'm assuming there may still be some stock somewhere, in which case any options would be limited to dealer-fit, unless you happen to choose one with exactly the right spec?

Hope someone else can help you out with some of your other questions..

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was just guessing about R57 based on what R56's are at right now.
I was surprised too cause I read about production ending in the summer.
Anyhow, still thinking......

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
I would guess that the new R57 would be about the same weight as the Clubman, so you could do a reasonable comparison of the fuel economy by looking at the Clubman S figures. According to the data on MINI.com, there is very little to choose between that and the standard Cooper S (i.e. 0.1L/100km more), so I think your figures for the R57 are very pessimistic! If you are reading off the MINI website, then you are looking at the figures for the R52 models, not the new one with the new engine.....

Hope this helps?

Ian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts