16,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lmao...can't wait to hear her speak!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17663-2004Jul27.html

Heinz Kerry Has No Reservations About Speaking Her Mind

By Jennifer Peter
The Associated Press
Tuesday, July 27, 2004; 9:47 AM

BOSTON -- Teresa Heinz Kerry was somewhat reluctant to see her husband run for president, and she misses the days she could attend church or walk through a park alone. Not being able to speak her mind, though, isn't a problem.

"I always say what I think," Heinz Kerry told "The Early Show" in an interview aired Tuesday on CBS. "I don't go out and say it willy-nilly for its own sake, but if called upon I do."

Heinz Kerry felt the call on the eve of the Democratic National Convention when she confronted a journalist and told him to "shove it" for asking her to explain further her comments to Pennsylvania delegates.

"If someone is really attacking your honor or trying to really be dishonest, really, to try to get you, I think most Americans, most people would say, you know, defend yourself. And that's what I did," she told CBS.

Heinz Kerry will get to speak her mind to millions Tuesday night in a convention address focusing on "the issues that are the work of her life," including the environment, health care and economic security, according to senior adviser Marla Romash.

While presumed nominee John Kerry has read his wife's approximately 15-minute speech, Heinz Kerry hastened to point out that she wrote it herself.

On the campaign trail, the 65-year-old heiress of the Heinz ketchup fortune has acknowledged using Botox and signing a prenuptial agreement with Kerry -- topics that other political spouses may have stayed away from.

She recently called John Edwards "beautiful" and her husband "smart."

As she works to get her second husband elected president, Heinz Kerry also often speaks of her late husband, Republican Sen. John Heinz III of Pennsylvania, who died in a 1991 plane crash.

A first-generation American of Portuguese ancestry, Heinz Kerry grew up in the east African country of Mozambique -- a former Portuguese colony gripped by civil war until 1992 -- a detail that she often mentions on the stump, sometimes referring to herself as an "African American."

Heinz Kerry, who is fluent in five languages, attended college in South Africa and a translator school in Switzerland before marrying Heinz. The couple had three sons, two of whom have been active in their stepfather's campaign.

The youngest, Chris, 31, will give a speech introducing his mother Tuesday night.

After her husband's death, Heinz Kerry became chairwoman of the Howard Heinz Endowment and the Heinz Family Philanthropies. In that role, she has helped channel money to organizations focused on health care, early childhood education and the arts.

In the speech, she will use a TelePrompTer for the first time, she has said.

The convention address "is the one time when we can safely say Teresa Heinz Kerry has been vetted," said Jeremy Mayer, an assistant professor of political science at George Mason University. "I wouldn't expect anything but fairly safe remarks."

© 2004 The Associated Press

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My point is she's a bit unstable to say the least

though she was an eloquent speaker last night, she sounded more like a Hallmark ad than someone introducing her spouse in a presidential election.

3 things I got from her speech last night!!!

Self indulgent :p

More about her first husband(obviously and sadly, her true love) :(

hardly anything in depth about KERRY! :confused:

·
Yatta!!
8,313 Posts
MoonPie said:

though she was an eloquent speaker last night, she sounded more like a Hallmark ad than someone introducing her spouse in a presidential election.

I thought she'd be your kinda gal. :confused:
Shoots from the hip, doesn't talk political BS, etc.

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think she's a wonderful philanthropist and person!!! :)

But I wonder why she married Kerry...and why she did not spend more time discussing him last night.

Oh something else that may rub women the wrong way were her words about women having voices (I then thought about women in AMERICA :rolleyes: who vote, raise kids, work, have high positioins in government, etc...and wondered who she was talking to...)

·
Bringing Love to MINI2
19,214 Posts
MoonPie said:

Unstable because she told the press to "Shove it" ? I say GOOD FOR HER!!!!! About time. :mad:

MP I totally disagree with you about her speech. I think she had to introduce herself as well and did a fine job of it. Why do you keep harping about her first husband? She has stated clearly how much she admires and loves her present husband.

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ruthie said:
Unstable because she told the press to "Shove it" ? I say GOOD FOR HER!!!!! About time. :mad:

MP I totally disagree with you about her speech. I think she had to introduce herself as well and did a fine job of it. Why do you keep harping about her first husband? She has stated clearly how much she admires and loves her present husband.
LOL SHE harps about her first husband, onnn and onnn and onnnn, my gawd, oh and yeah, btw I married John Kerry and he's a candidate for US President, now back to ME TERESA :D :p

ruthie hope you're not taking this too personally, we're just exhanging views...

:)

·
Shiredweller's Wife
2,732 Posts
Looks like Teresa could take Hillerys place as the First Lady the Dems love and Reps love to hate. Could she also take over Hillerys spot as the smartest chick at the party? Could be yet another reason for Hillery to vote for George. ;)

·
Rep withdrawal sucks.....
1,086 Posts
shiredweller said:
Looks like Teresa could take Hillerys place as the First Lady the Dems love and Reps love to hate. Could she also take over Hillerys spot as the smartest chick at the party? Could be yet another reason for Hillery to vote for George. ;)
Huh???

I don't quite follow this train of logic. I know it's all tongue-in-cheek, and meant in jest, but is there some sort of generalization that Democrats like their women to speak up and out, and Republicans like theirs to sit down and shut up? :p

Why are people so afraid of a person, especially a woman, who speaks her mind? It seems that the only time that's acceptable is if she was elected/hired to do so. I understand people's concern when it involves an elected person in as powerful a position as that of the President of the United States of America, and that the President may have a spouse who's 'along for the ride' that the people didn't elect, that may influence the President - but come on, get REAL!!

What I mean by that, is that the people/electorate don't elect the President's advisors, support staff, administration - he does that, and by and large the electorate have very little impact/influence on who they are (except perhaps through Congress and the Senate).

I dare say that these advisors, many of whom we know little about, and the administration, have a far greater influence on the decision-making of the President than the President's spouse does. It's time to get away from the tunnel focus on the President's spouse, and look at the bigger picture. I dare say that in the past four years, the current President has been given some very bad advice with regards to some of the decisions that he has made, and I will bet that none of them came from the First Lady ;)

** disclaimer: I'm just a Canadian who, like Teresa Heinz Kerry, just says it like I see it (though I'm a bloke, not a gal!!) You Americans, please feel free to put me in my place if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, about your political process!! :) **

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
I really don't understand the interest you guys take in the wives/husbands/significant others of the candidates.

Why would anyone care about them, their views or their behaviour?
Does the US constitution really give them a place in your government?
Surely it is the candidates ability, honesty and policies that matter?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Mike Clarke said:
I really don't understand the interest you guys take in the wives/husbands/significant others of the candidates.

Could be the fact that while we finally got rid of Billy, we still have to put up with Hillary.

·
Shiredweller's Wife
2,732 Posts
Mike Clarke said:

#1-- It's just sport. Fun and sometimes interesting to watch but very few are really serious about it.

#2-- No, but Bill and Hillery made it pretty clear they were a two for one deal.

#3-- You would think so, but remember this IS politics we are talking about here. :rolleyes:

·
RedUn's Manicurist ;-þ
16,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lmao someone told me today that one of the late night comics did a spot on Mrs. Ketchup, lol

said wasn't it ironic she was dressed in RED lmao

and her shape was reminiscent of a ketchup bottle

annnd then they put a bottle on her butt...

Not sure if it was Jon Stewart, Letterman or Leno

but I'd love to see a pic :D :p :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
MoonPie said:
lmao...can't wait to hear her speak!

Heinz Kerry Has No Reservations About Speaking Her Mind

"I always say what I think," Heinz Kerry told "The Early Show" in an interview aired Tuesday on CBS. "I don't go out and say it willy-nilly for its own sake, but if called upon I do."
______________________---

She did pretty well. Where does the 800-lb gorrila want to sit? ANYWHERE she wants!!! :D :D :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
zgokart
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing