MINI Cooper Forum banner

R56 DRIVER, DO YOU MISS YOUR OLD R53 MCS?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up my R56 MCS today and swapped it for my R53 MCS. Parting from your car is an emo moment, but pushing that start button on for the very first time was even more emo! I wanted to upgrade for some time now, but waited until I found a car that had more or less similar specs as my Sep 05 MCS. Last week I found one and today we met :) Oh boy, what a car!!! I am as happy with the new car as I was when I collected the R53 from the dealership last year!

After having driven the R56 for a day now (w sport button on and off), I'm convinced that it is the better of the two cars. It drives smoother, faster, consumes less, better torque curve, pot holes do not feel like a collision and over all improved quality feel. However, I still have more of a weak spot for the R53's curves and the R53's interior design was really something special.

Both cars have:
- Chili Pack
- Heated Windscreen, mirrors and washer jets;
- LSD;
- Visibility Pack w auto dim interior mirror
- Auto Lights On & Rain Sensor

The R56 came also with:
- full bluetooth (although my Nokia E51 does not sync for whatever reason):
- iPod interface (although my iPod does not sync for whatever reason...);
- DSC.

DO YOU MISS YOUR OLD R53 MCS???

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
I've had my R56 S for just over a year now and changed from an R53 S Works - I think the new car is fantastic and prefer it much more :D there are some elements of the R53 I do miss I suppose, like the supercharger whine and some of the styling, but I have no regrets changing :D love it :D :D :D

nice looking S btw ;) :D

here's my old one, and the new one :D

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Heres my R56 Cooper S, had her 4 weeks now :p

Ok, so I didnt change from an R53 Cooper S :eek: morelike an R50 ONE (via an R56 Cooper D) :p but hey, same difference, I love the R56 more :D though I do still miss my little 'Bow' :eek:

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I've had my R56 S for just over a year now and changed from an R53 S Works - I think the new car is fantastic and prefer it much more :D there are some elements of the R53 I do miss I suppose, like the supercharger whine and some of the styling, but I have no regrets changing :D love it :D :D :D

nice looking S btw ;) :D

here's my old one, and the new one :D

I think I prefer 'Bond' ;) :D Much more funky :p

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres my R56 Cooper S, had her 4 weeks now :p

Ok, so I didnt change from an R53 Cooper S :eek: morelike an R50 ONE (via an R56 Cooper D) :p but hey, same difference, I love the R56 more :D though I do still miss my little 'Bow' :eek:
Those side skirts look great with those web spoke alloys. I'm not sure whether they go well with my standard Crown Spokes. I'm considering the R99's, but no rush. I'm still in the 'honeymoon period' with my new R56.

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
Those side skirts look great with those web spoke alloys. I'm not sure whether they go well with my standard Crown Spokes. I'm considering the R99's, but no rush. I'm still in the 'honeymoon period' with my new R56.
I reckon they'd look great :D there must be some pics in the galleries with Crown Spokes and the aero kit or just the skirts :D

·
Dominique et Karine
197 Posts
ideal is to possess the two generations is great to go from one to another :D, the week the R56 and R53 for the fun :rolleyes:

for me: blue with white roof, 17' white, xenon, chrome line ;) similar configuration...

Attachments

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
ideal is to possess the two generations is great to go from one to another :D, the week the R56 and R53 for the fun :rolleyes:

for me: blue with white roof, 17' white, xenon, chrome line ;) similar configuration...
Totally agree, got both, R53 JCW GP and R56 MCS, supposed to be that the GP is used the lesser of the two, but its far more fun than the R56 which is a nice easy car to drive, but just not as fun or as good looking as the GP;):D When I do drive the R56 I miss the R53 loads!

Oh and if you want to go a step further than having both generations, next step is to get a classic, and we've got a 1990 RSP mini cooper in BRG, which is also bags of fun, and sits in second place to drive after the GP:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Totally awesome to own two generations MCS!!! Two very handsome cars. I think I do prefer the styling of the front of the R53 over that of the R56. Any views?

Are you using either car just randomly, or are you using one for the track and the other for your off-track driving?

I'm glad to see that I was not the only one who went after an R56 that has the same colours as my old R53....

·
Dominique et Karine
197 Posts
I also think the same thing,

I had even the two models R53, 163CH without DGL and 170CH with DGL with lot options, this was not the same car :eek:

I ride very little with 170CH, because I work at 1 miles from home ;), I ride to avanatage with the R56, more enjoyable, more gentle side but quality manufacturing and materials, I am less content.

(I do not buy new MINI as a result of my R53, but a Lotus elise, more fun :D )

picture from my two R53, also similar configuration :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Totally agree, got both, R53 JCW GP and R56 MCS, supposed to be that the GP is used the lesser of the two, but its far more fun than the R56 which is a nice easy car to drive, but just not as fun or as good looking as the GP;):D When I do drive the R56 I miss the R53 loads!

Oh and if you want to go a step further than having both generations, next step is to get a classic, and we've got a 1990 RSP mini cooper in BRG, which is also bags of fun, and sits in second place to drive after the GP:)
Was looking to see if I had pics of all three together, but only got the GP and Cooper together at the moment, must try and get all three together:eek:

But do have pics of them separate:)

Attachments

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
Glad to have a hard top over your head again? :D Did you upgrade to the R56 for that reason?
In a word, yes.

The MCSC was a compromise too far, noiser, less room, and less practical than the tintop I had prior to it. An expanding family meant it had to go earlier than expected for those reasons and I swapped it for a 1er.

The new R56 S is a replacement for the wife's old car, although I get to drive it most days..... :D:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
IMG_5974-22.jpg R50 2005
3.jpg R53 Works 2006
DSC_9752-002e.jpg R56 2009

R50 was my first MINI so I think I couldn't say a bad word :) R53 Works Checkmate was a monster, but honestly a fuel consumption was terrible. Now I am driving R56 and I am really happy. The only thing I really miss is a solar roof and maybe also a chronopackage dashboard interior.
Regards from Poland!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts