MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'54 MC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to paint my standard side indicator housings Astro Black.

Any answers to the below questions would be much appreciated :D

a) Can anyone recommend a good flexible primer to use?
b) How do I prep the surface?
c) Where do I get a can of Astro Black spray paint?
d) What laquer do I use?

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Trav said:
I want to paint my standard indicator housings Astro Black.

Any answers to the below questions would be much appreciated :D

a) Can anyone recommend a good flexible primer to use?
b) How do I prep the surface?
c) Where do I get a can of Astro Black spray paint?
d) What laquer do I use?
What are indicator housings? The flex primer question is throwing me. What indicators would require flex primer?
Sorry. Without that info I can't help much except to say don't use lacquer. It's brittle.

·
'54 MC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
obehave said:
What are indicator housings? The flex primer question is throwing me. What indicators would require flex primer?
Sorry. Without that info I can't help much except to say don't use lacquer. It's brittle.
Sorry, should have been more specific. The indicator housings I'm on about are the side indicator grilles that some replace with shark fin or cooper s chrome equivalents. I would like to spray Astro Black to match my Mini. As they're plastic I think flex primer would be a good move (any brand recommendations?). And what can I cover the paint with to protect it...what would Mini use on the paint on the bumpers :confused:

cheers matey

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
Trav said:
Sorry, should have been more specific. The indicator housings I'm on about are the side indicator grilles that some replace with shark fin or cooper s chrome equivalents. I would like to spray Astro Black to match my Mini. As they're plastic I think flex primer would be a good move (any brand recommendations?). And what can I cover the paint with to protect it...what would Mini use on the paint on the bumpers :confused:

cheers matey
You won't need flex primer for that. It's rigid plastic.
If you want to though PPG, DuPont and Sherwin-Williams all make good products.
At the very least you need to scuff the surface. 320 grit or scotch-brite equivalent or if you know what you're doing a talc or walnut blast.
Thoroughly clean it with PPG DX330 or Dupont 3939 or equivalent. Be careful, the are meant for bodywork so I don't know for certain they're OK on plastic.

Then prime and paint.

The prep work is everything

Ooops I forgot. I haven't seen spray touch up paint(could be it exists, I just haven't seen it) but you could always buy the little bottle from the dealer and use a small modelers air brush.

·
'54 MC
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, appreciate your advice :D

Does anyone else know if you can get Astro Black paint spray anywhere?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts