MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been covered before, but after a search, I havent come to any conclusions, so was wondering if anyone can help...
It's the old problem of the sidelights looking too yellow for the xenons on my s. I've tried several different options, and the best ones were the PIAA LEDs which gave off a super light, but I changed them because when the lights were off and the car was locked, they gave a wee flash intermittedly- something to do with the min's security system doing a self check every few minutes. This annoyed me enough to change them again, as i didn't want to attract unwanted attention when parked up at night, but the ones I have now, I spotted myself in a shop window last night, and they really don't cut the mustard. Still too yellow. Someone somewhere must have the answer to this v annoying problem... I've tried blue look ones which weren't bad, but they look blue when off, which annoyed me too (i'm v. irritable!!!), so ideally I'm looking for clear/white when off and the sort of colour of the PIAA LEDs when on without the annoying wee flash. Don't ask for much, eh?!
Thanks guys!

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I got halogen ones from mikeythemini. When off they look clear, when on, look bright white. Closest match Ive found and Ive spent about £60 on side lights.

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers pal, it looks like there's someone out there more neurotic about sidelights than me! Will have to have a look at those. Got some from mikeythemini, but don't remember if they were the halogen ones. must check. damo, you any experience with LEDs?

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Wasn't a big fan of the LEDs, basicly because of same reasons you said. In my case they where too blue, mine where 4 LEDs, not sure what make, some cheapo ones to be honest.

They're not perfect, but they're the best look overall (i.e. when lit and when not lit)

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just had some frosted LEDs delivered from demon tweeks today, so I'm going to give those a blast, see if i can live with that annoying little twitch every few minutes when the car is locked and self checking, or maybe my prayers will be answered, and that won't happen with these... Hurry up, weather, and clear up so I can get on with my research!!!

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Nothing like a thread revival, but this one had the best subject heading of all the ones I found in the search.

I currently have the Philips CrystalVision sidelights in and at night they're as good a match to the xenons I've seen. The globe is blue and can be seen through the lens, but at this stage I'm so happy with the way they look when switched on I am willing to live with the way they look when switched off.

I'll try and get some pics soon.

(There's also some more info on similar products in THIS THREAD.)

:indi:

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
I've uploaded a gallery of my sidelight comparison here:
http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/1901

Below are the key samples…

Philips CrystalVision sidelight

Philips CrystalVision sidelight with xenon low beam

OEM sidelight with xenon low beam

(Note, I also have Philips SilverVision indicators fitted.)

:indi:

·
my ponies have escaped!!!
4,955 Posts
Dont fight the yellowness Nylon :p

I (currently) have my amber lights as sidelights rather than my LED's to give that USAiiiiiiii look :D

Controversial i know ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts