MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I wonder if you can help me. I went to Halfords today and bought an alloy cleaning kit (£7.50, you get 500ml of liquid, a mixing bowl and a small paintbrush), and it says it is suitable for steel wheels, plastic wheels etc but it is unsuitable for un-lacquered wheels. Are Sidewalk alloys lacquered? I don't want to ruin them so I thought I'd better check before I use it.

Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
I believe the outer edge and the middle of the spokes are polished, ie not lacquered or painted.

I personally wouldn't risk using that halfords kit on them.

If your wanting some alloy wheel cleaner suitable and safe for use, Autoglym do something called Custom Alloy Wheel Cleaner. This is specially developed for custom alloys ie. special finishes such as the sidewalk's, but more importantly it does not contain acid!

Autoglym - car cleaning products, car care products, car valeting, car detailing

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Hi Ben,

Sounds like you've bought 'wonder wheels' or its equivalent - don't put that any where near your alloys :eek:

Test to do, dip the brush in it, and drop 1ml of the solution onto the back of your hand - feel it burn? The solution is extremely[ acidic - now go wash it off with cold water :p

Meguires Hot Rims is the way to go ;) I used to have a polished lip on my R90s (bare unlacquered aluminium) and it was perfectly safe even on that :)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
No problem - Dad also has some of the old syle deep dish AMG alloys on his Merc with a bare polished lip, and they have always had the same treatment ;)

I've tried all sorts of wheel cleaners, but once you've used Hot Rims, you won't go back. It shows that you don't need an agressive wheel cleaner to be effective :)

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
I once got some of that Wonder Wheels in an open cut - My god that hurt :(:(

Gotta agree with Jon though - Hot Rims is very very good :D:D

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys - BTW, Halfords have 3 for 2 on car cleaning products now (which I didn't know whilst I bought the stuff I bought yesterday, I only noticed when I looked at the receipt at home, and then saw it advertised on their website). Reserved Maguiar's Hot Rims online for collection :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey...Took back the Wonder Wheels and got me some Hot Rims :) Will give my alloys a clean when the weather picks up a bit!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts