MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking to a guy in southern California today. Says he saw a new Cooper go by, BRG w/ White top and rims. Says he didn't have much time to see it, was going kind of quick. Anyone else seen a new Cooper zipping around the states?

Brian

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
181 Posts
The only Coopers I have seen in the US were strapped to the top of Excursions at Indianapolis for the U.S. Grand Prix (see my gallery link below). One was Blue and the other was Red. They looked great but I was chomping at the bit to get in one since it's hard to judge scale from the bottom of the car.

After I left, they brought them down to the BMW corrall sponsered by the Hoosier chapter of the BMWCCA and let the fellows crawl in them. I was so mad when I found out I had missed it. It wasn't on the schedule obviously but the CCA brass pulled a few strings to get them down there. Unfortunately it happened after I was gone!!!

Worst yet, I will be seeing Coopers and Cooper S's on the road for probably 9 months before I get mine. Now that's going to be torture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have seen a Silver Cooper S around Toronto as well as I have heard from others who saw the same car. Silver body, Black roof, daytona wheels. Very nice indeed. I almost got into an accident when I saw it. I was transfixed on the damn thing!

·
Registered
577 Posts
My friend went to the LA Auto show yesterday (I had wanted to go along but couldn't) and saw the Cooper and S, brought me a brochure. He sat in both of them, said the seat back had a lump that felt uncomfortable and the pedals were very close together, felt cramped inside. (He is used to a full sized Chevy truck.) MSRP (includes $550 destination charge) is $16,850 for the Cooper and $19,850 for the S. He was told the dealers will be getting some demo cars soon, so you might see them being driven around. He said there was a big crowd around the MINI booth. Most were talking about it being a "weekend car" and the women all thought it was "cute." Demand will be high (I got another MINI ad in my free Juno e-mail account), so if I decide to get one, it will probably mean waiting another year at least. That might not be a bad thing, since the "new" suspension is not due until March, which means the first crop may have the dreaded left pull anyway.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm 6'4" and 200 pounds, and felt the interior of the Cooper not the least bit cramped. Of course, I'm used to a Honda CRX . . . The view over the hood is something else; there isn't one! I couldn't see any of the car beyond the base of the windshield.

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
RickB said:
The view over the hood is something else; there isn't one! I couldn't see any of the car beyond the base of the windshield.
That can be a bit disorienting at first, eh? The current generation GM F-cars (Camaro/Firebird) are the same way, you sit down and the car seems to end at the end of the dashboard. Takes a little getting used to in terms of parking, etc...

-Ricardo

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speaking of dealer demo cars, he said it had a weird plate on it, so it may have been a dealer car. Any suggestions on what to do until March?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Two of my work-mates have seen a red and white Cooper going south on Rte 684, during morning rush hours. Wearing dealer plates. I presume it's heading across the river to BMW headqtrs in New Jersey.

One guy is a real car nut. He said it looked just like a Classic, but he was sure it was a new MINI because of the headlights. The other guy had seen the car but didn't know what it was, til he saw the pictures and 1:28 scale model I have in my cubicle.

They both report that the driver goes very fast, and zips in and out of traffic as if every one else were standing still.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Clutch Cargo said:
They both report that the driver goes very fast, and zips in and out of traffic as if every one else were standing still.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more reason why they might have dealer plates, is that the auto shows are running right now, and they may be transporting the MINI's to the show. Just a thought...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts