MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - is it not possible to use the key in the ignition once the silver ring has split?

My cooper is just out of the 1st year's warranty and the silver ring around the key fob has split; not impressed!

Jtp x

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
you can still use it, it will work absolutely fine :)

You can have it replaced under warranty at your local dealer!
i had to have a key replaced about 3 weeks after getting the car! the lady said it would take 20 mins to re-program the key, took her 2 hours!

you can just get the silver bit replaced now tho i think

·
Boosted
480 Posts
Got mine done under warranty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Key fob chrome ring

Got mine done on warranty. Took the car in for an unrelated job and they said that chrome ring was missing - I didn't even know. Must have been like that for a while. :puzzled:

·
I'm avin 'oops
1,225 Posts
i just got some super glue and put a tiny amount on it and held it together for a few seconds and it was ok

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Mine split taking it out of the ignition the other day, what are the chances of a new key?

·
Registered
86 Posts
When I had my brake fluid service - the service chap just said "Oh, your chrome ring on the key is broken, would you like it replaced? " - and of course I said yes and it was foc.

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
Well my key has started getting stuck and sometimes when I take it out I get a message saying "remote key not inserted - engine may not start", Not sure if this is related to the ring coming off.

·
Now im Hyper!
455 Posts
I had mine replaced today, they just replaced the chrome ring (the cost price is 4.97 if your out of warranty)

Took five minutes and foc.

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Both mine and my wife's silver rings have split. Have used a dab of superglue to repair them but if they're replaceable under warranty we'll get them fixed properly. Mind you, our local dealer aren't always the best when it comes to warranty claims.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts