MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
nickschin said:
i WANT A 3 SPOKE WHEEL, I KNOW IT REQUIRES A DIFFERENT AIRBAG, BUT IS IT POS? IF SO HOW?

THKS

NICK
My dealer swapped out my wheel with a three spoke when I bought my 2004 MCS. It is plug compatible with the 2 spoke wheel.

Tom

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
are you 100% about this :confused:

I contacted my dealer a few months ago and was told that the 3 spoke could be fitted but required a new airbag as the 2 Spoke Wheel was different :confused: they wanted in the region of 500quid to change it over, there has been a few threads on this subject and tbh they have all got the same response so I would be very intrested in how your dealer done this tlamano :)

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Swapping is easy to do, its just the cost of the parts that makes it expensive i.e. the airbag unit is differant so you need a new one as well as the steering wheel.

G

·
jpsmini said:
are you 100% about this :confused:

I contacted my dealer a few months ago and was told that the 3 spoke could be fitted but required a new airbag as the 2 Spoke Wheel was different :confused: they wanted in the region of 500quid to change it over, there has been a few threads on this subject and tbh they have all got the same response so I would be very intrested in how your dealer done this tlamano :)
I should have been clearer about this. When I knew my 04 MCS was arriving in May with a two spoke wheel installed, I asked my dealer if they could swap it with another new car which had a three spoke. They said they would try, but were concerned the wiring harness plug may be different. Turns out the plugs were the same so they did the swap for me at no charge. This also involved swapping the airbag as well. My dealer is Century Mini in Greenville, SC.

Tom

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
all new mini's from aug 2004 have a different wiring harness and airbag module for the 3 spoke steering wheel! you are looking at £500+ to have it swapped over from your 2 spoke! the airbag plug is the same, but the actual module that fires the airbag is different, so you can plug it in but it definatly wont go off in an accident!

best thing to do is stick with the 2 spoke if thats what u already have!!! and just pay extra for the 3 spoke and have it factory fitted if you are getting a new mini! the wheel comes with the new chilli pack anyway!

·
Registered
46 Posts
im quite interested in this too as i think the 2 spoke wheel looks rubbish in comparison to the new 3 spoke one. My MINI is an 02 so if i was to get a new 3 spoke wheel, minus the airbag just the wheel itself. There is no way at all that i would be able to leave my current airbag. Disconnect it and just put on the new 3 spoke wheel? Reconnect my old airbag etc would this not be ok?

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
I used to have a 2 spoke wheel but I now have a three spoke one :) At this moment in time the cruise etc doesn't work but that's basically because it didn't have it before. I could have the cruise etc wired up but it would cost approx £300, but if you already had a mfsw then it should be fine :)

The airbag for a 3 spoke wheel is a different size to that of a 2 spoke so they don't swap over.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts