MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wondering for a while if there was a Sirius lead behind the 2005 stereo that I could use if I bought a portable Sirius model.

The answer is no. The only antenna lead behind the stereo is the one for AM/FM that is plugged into the stereo. There are no extra leads anywhere that I could find. Below are the pics.

In the second pic, you can see the solid black antenna wire on the right side of the pic. I traced this lead to behind the center console (pics 3 and 4) as the stereo wires disappear down into the floor.

So I suspect, if you get the OEM Sirius Unit, they will also have to replace the antenna (or its base) with a new unit with the appropriate lead.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
No--the OEM sirius tuner is placed in one of the side panels in the boot, and the antenna lead comes down to there. It may not be a standard connectors as they've been held up for the correct wiring.

The aftermarket tuners come with new low-profile antennas that are small and look fine no matter where you place it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point, Josh.

Since no one seems to know where the lead actually is, I decided to just check behind the radio just in case. I suppose the next step is to look in the boot. If I do find a lead back there, then the next question is how to run in up to the front where the plug n play unit would be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is not surprising that the OE Sirius radio is not installed where the HU is. This is like the OE GPS where the sat antenna is under the driver seat.

I suspect the sat antenna connection for the 05 model may be at the diversity antenna module behind the trim next to the right rear passenger seat.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zodiac said:
It is not surprising that the OE Sirius radio is not installed where the HU is. This is like the OE GPS where the sat antenna is under the driver seat.

I suspect the sat antenna connection for the 05 model may be at the diversity antenna module behind the trim next to the right rear passenger seat.
Yeah, in the trunk (boot) right? That's where I'm going to look next...I'm thinking if I find the connection, then I could but some extra run of antenna (at radio shak or something) and run it up to the front and proceed with wiring from there.

I'm sure I'm going to screw up my car soon trying this stuff.

·
MINI2 Regular
20 Posts
antenna available?

I went into the local dealer this afternoon, they checked for the antenna 84 11 0 393 780 ($90.00) and it is on 'backorder' according to the computer, does this mean that it is still not available or that it is avaialble but is already sold out ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what is this kit? we have to replace the antenna that came with the car to use satellite?

so they're releasing the antenna before the OEM Sirius unit is available? all of this is kinda crazy...figured if this stuff was really available, motoringfile would be reporting it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
MadisonMini said:
what is this kit? we have to replace the antenna that came with the car to use satellite?

so they're releasing the antenna before the OEM Sirius unit is available? all of this is kinda crazy...figured if this stuff was really available, motoringfile would be reporting it.
My question as well .... what is in the kit and is that applicable to using a third party portable radio. I have the audiovox pnp2, so is this going to benefit me in any way? $90 is kinda high when the $49 kit from audiovox comes with a separate antenna ... as time goes on I just get more confused!

John :confused:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
I am getting it fitted on Wednesday of next week. I am not sure if it just shows "backorder" until a dealer purposely orders it, but it is available as I am getting it in a few days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MadisonMini said:

I have a 2003 MCS, no CD Changer in boot and no Harman Kardon radio, no GPS.
With any of those options, you may need a slightly different "kit", perhaps different
wiring. The MINI dealer parts guy asks if you have those options.

The MINI dealer installed "kit" for my car as purchased from Classic MINI in Cleveland,
Ohio (USA) is:

84-11-0-150-535 SIRIUS RECEIVER $220
84-11-0-150-534 SIRIUS INSTALL KIT $ 36
84-11-0-150-524 MINI SIRIUS ANTENNA $ 60

The Receiver is installed in a covered compartment in the boot - left rear.
The wiring is already there and you just plug it in.
The Install Kit is a special steel bracket used to mount the Receiver in the car.
The Antenna replaces the radio antenna on my car and is new antenna for AM and FM
radio plus SIRIUS all in one unit. The Antenna is installed and the wiring is run down to
the compartment.

The MINI Dealer charges 2 hours labor , approx $180, to install the kit. The SIRIUS
controls are completely integrated with the radio control buttons on the Multifunction
Steering Wheel.

I have the Receiver and Install Kit. The Antenna is back ordered. I believe that new Antenna
will be the same antenna that will be on the 2005 cars. It is back ordered because the
2005 SIRIUS option is not ready for some reason.

The Antenna has been back ordered for a few months and my dealer does not have a release
date for the new part. Classic MINI suggested that I could buy a SIRIUS antenna for
a 3-Series BMW. This is a magnetic base unit separate from the existing AM-FM antenna.
I decided to wait awhile for the integrated antenna.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was under the impression that the antenna that came with my 2005 MCSC was already satellite ready and didn't require an "upgrade" to a different antenna. Maybe that's why no one can find the lead to the satellite antenna.

·
Registered
20 Posts
MadisonMini said:
I was under the impression that the antenna that came with my 2005 MCSC was already satellite ready and didn't require an "upgrade" to a different antenna. Maybe that's why no one can find the lead to the satellite antenna.
That was the samething that I was told. Basically I was told that the radio wasn't available but that I could get the third party radio and use the antenna that came with the 2005 MCS, I have also seen others mention that as well, but just can't find a clear answer anywhere. Kinda Frustrating isn't it.

·
MINI Geek
515 Posts
jmoors said:
That was the samething that I was told. Basically I was told that the radio wasn't available but that I could get the third party radio and use the antenna that came with the 2005 MCS, I have also seen others mention that as well, but just can't find a clear answer anywhere. Kinda Frustrating isn't it.

Yes, it is very frustrating.

·
Rallye On Dude!
74 Posts
I asked the parts department about this, and they faxed me a picture of the 2005 antenna, for the convertible. The illustration definitely shows four leads with connectors of some kind, it kinda looks like sma but hard to be sure. That would be one for AM/FM one for Nav and two for Sirius (cross polarized to ensure good reception) :confused: :confused:

Anyway on the MCC the literature and sources I've seen here and on NAM say the sat antennas are built in, but maybe not brought down from the antenna base -- probably pig tailed up there.

Will know soon when I get my MCC

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.