MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just a quick question. Has anyone had the Siruis Radio installed in their Mini? The reason that I ask is that I am considering it. I talked to my dealer here in San Francisco and he said that it would cost a little over $800. I thought that was twice as high as it should be. I have thought about one of the portable units with the car kit but didn't like the idea of sticking the antenna on top of the car with a wire running back inside. So I asked the dealer how they deal with that and he said that the regular antenna that comes on the car is also wired for the Siruis and that it didn't need the added antenna ... anyone know if that is true? If so I'll just buy what I want ... the portable unit and install it myself.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
700 Posts
Well, since you've asked . . .

IHMO, $800 for ANY radio is total highway robbery. Do you know how many music CDs you could purchase for $800?

Some folks may think otherwise, but that price seems a bit off the charts to me :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
$800!? That is WAY over priced. It should be $550 to 600 for the stock radio addition installed. Call another dealer, even if it is a further drive!

I have had sirius for almost two years and love every minute of it. Highly recommended and well worth the subscription price.

However the stock unit is certainly a rip-off. I DO have it, I only paid the price because I know I do not plan to go with an aftermarket stereo, and willing to pay the price for the integration.

You can get plug & play units with everything you need for $50 or even free.

You can get an aftermarket headunit that is sirius-ready and add the tuner.

And if you do either of those, don't worry about the antenna, the new ones are pretty small. I've seen some even mount them between their windshield wipers, and of course on their roof, on the front or in back.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Antenna

That's my question...on the 2005 Mini I also heard the antenna was Sirius ready...but where in the car is the lead for that part of the antenna?? Is it dangling behind the radio, or hidden somewhere else in the car.

If it was easy accessible, then I would get an "plug and play unit", hardwire it thru the Mini AUX port, directly power it thru the fuse box, and plug the antenna lead into the preexisting antenna...if someone only could tell me if they've looked behind the 2005 HK radio and could tell me...I'm too chicken right now to take off panels and look for myself :(

·
MINI VANILLI
203 Posts
i bought a tuner for ($100) at best buy. used the line out and hooked it up to my aux jack ($140 for dealership to install). done $240.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2.

Installation is a bit dependant on dealer labor rates, and SF/The bay area has some of the highest - in any case, there isn't much info on using the '05 pre-wiring, because there's no official kit for the 2005s from MINI even (which makes it odd that your dealer is even quoting an install... perhaps they're going to use the '03-'04 kit...)

It should be possible, but could involve some adapaters and such. Personally, I'd worry more about the looks of the extra unit in your car, then the antenna, as the antennas are really small and blend it pretty well when placed near (usually in front) of the normal antenna.

We should have info on the official '05 kit shortly (but that could be within weeks, or it could be longer, MINIs not consistant on delivery of these things) and it is expected to be cheaper. If you're not in a hurry, I'd wait a bit until that comes out, they maybe check at one of the cheaper dealers (I hear East Bay isn't too bad) for how much they'd charge to install it.

Otherwise - The Aux jack doesn't need to cost $140 to install, its like $50, plus however much they charge, which if you don't have them drilling and doing it in the glovebox, can be very reasonable. Or you can install it yourself anywhere you like. That opens you up to the aftermarket options, but sorry no help on the antenna thing, I'm waiting for the official kit myself.

Finally, you could look at XM. There's a kit fcalled XM direct that a few of the MINI2 sponsors sell, which uses the headunit capabilities with a tuner, so all you have is the extra little antenna - that's been a popular route, as its several hundred cheaper then the official MINI one, and still is a clean install. Of course, it is XM, and hence I'm personally waiting for a good Sirius solution myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Additional Info

Thanks for the info. I am going to go with the Siruis radio. The Audiovox SIR-PNP2 . It is the portable unit. Special right now until wed, free with either a car kit or home kit as long as you sign up for one year, that's a $142 or so but saves me the $150 for the unit and car kit. I'll make it work somehow, just didn't want to have to go with another antenna if the MCS antenna would work. Oh well. Again thanks for all the info.

John :rolleyes:

·
Registered
401 Posts
XM is better!

Ok lemme hijack this thread and say XM is better. Anyways I got an AUX input installed and bought a roady 2 and plugged it in and it works great. All for about 200 bucks.

Howard

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
stryder said:
Welcome to MINI2.

Installation is a bit dependant on dealer labor rates, and SF/The bay area has some of the highest - in any case, there isn't much info on using the '05 pre-wiring, because there's no official kit for the 2005s from MINI even (which makes it odd that your dealer is even quoting an install... perhaps they're going to use the '03-'04 kit...)

yeah, I'm waiting on the 05 Sirius kit release from MINI, it was part of my sales contract back to last summer...
sure wish they'd get their act together :rolleyes:

·
2nd Year
83 Posts
howardpm said:
Ok lemme hijack this thread and say XM is better. Anyways I got an AUX input installed and bought a roady 2 and plugged it in and it works great. All for about 200 bucks.

Howard
Let me hijack it back and say XM is NOT better.
Reality: each person should decide for themselves.

I'm using a Blaupunkt America plug and play receiver ($150) that I switch back and forth between my car and my wife's New Beetle. I use the MINI aux input ($32) and a patch cable (~$10). I also bought a Kuda multimedia console ($36) that clips on over the speedometer to mount the display. It wasn't totally necessary, but I like the way it looks.

Eventually, when I get tired of switching it back and forth, I will invest in the official MINI Sirius setup.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Sometimes I get really annoyed at the lack of MINI being able to do anything on time, then being all excited and having a marketing blitz to annouce its finally available. The rest of the time I'm just annoyed.

Anyway, the car kit + a standalone unit isn't a bad idea. Just don't cut any holes to mount the antenna that comes with it, and if in the future, there's a connector that lets you use the existing antenna, you can convert.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts