MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper. Starting about two weeks ago, when I push the button to slide the roof back to closed, it becomes VERY slow/almost stops about 4/5ths of the way to closed. It shuts, but it's getting worse.

I am wondering if there is anyone who had/has this ongoing issue that I have, and if there is anything I can do to lubricate the tracks, and what type of lubricant is needed.

I remember a gooey paste that was on the tracks, but that is slowly going. It had the consistency of a petroleum jelly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello-

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper. Starting about two weeks ago, when I push the button to slide the roof back to closed, it becomes VERY slow/almost stops about 4/5ths of the way to closed. It shuts, but it's getting worse.

I am wondering if there is anyone who had/has this ongoing issue that I have, and if there is anything I can do to lubricate the tracks, and what type of lubricant is needed.

I remember a gooey paste that was on the tracks, but that is slowly going. It had the consistency of a petroleum jelly.

Thanks!
Much the same as mine (04 MCS). I tried to regrease the tracks (obviously, don't grease the blind's track, or if you do, very lightly) with normal lithium grease but that made it worse. Then, cleaned the multipurpose grease off, and 3in1 white lithium spray grease, not much better. Left it a few weeks, and now it seems to work?!

If you do grease it yourself look for a few guides on this forum, and don't use too much - I can see if it melts/runs it'll impregnnte the plywood and stain the roof lining.

However, I'm only using the tilt function for the moment just in case it gets stuck. Apparently overhaul is a complete pig - BMW charge about £800, although some group members have reported getting free/subsidised repair because of it being a known fault.

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Old grease dries out and gets thick, you need to clean the old grease off first and then replace it sparingly.
Mine started to get really slow last year at 4yrs old, I did it and now it works fine again. Keep an eye on the sunroof seals and drains as the car ages too.

I just used standard multi purpose clear grease.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Old grease dries out and gets thick, you need to clean the old grease off first and then replace it sparingly.
Mine started to get really slow last year at 4yrs old, I did it and now it works fine again. Keep an eye on the sunroof seals and drains as the car ages too.

I just used standard multi purpose clear grease.

As he said. I did mine only this weekend just gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all.....

.... and it's getting worse. It stopped yesterday, I turned it back to full open and back to close and FINALLY it closed. So..... what with two kids and no time, weather getting cooler, I will wait until I have some time to get the grease. I am reading that it's a Multi-Purpose grease that you are talking about. Is this in like a big toothpaste tube? I think I saw it in a general auto parts/supply store.

Just pushing it to the back-lift only.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts