MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we've had our 55 plate convertible cooper s for all of a week and the weather turns bad. It poured down earlier and my wife came out of work, jumped in the car only to find it dripping quite a bit on the passenger side. It's dripping right where the roof meets the front windscreen.

I spent ages comparing both sides to see what the difference was and I have come to the conclusion that it's not closing tight enough. When I compare the drivers side to the passenger side the window on the drivers side goes up tight into the gap and you can't really get your fingernail on top of the glass pain. On the passenger side where it's leaking you can put your fingernail on top of the glass at the front where it's leaking quite easily, you can see the top of the glass without having to try too hard.. It looks like it just needs to go up an extra couple of millimetres. Either than or the very front of the roof needs to come down a tiny bit more. The back of the window seems to be up far enough.

So... what I'm hopping is that there is some minor adjustment in the roof to make the front pull down that little bit more.

Any hints or tips as to how I can get the window to seal up tighter? I assume there must be some adjustments on the roof I could tweak a little ?

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I can get it fixed quick, only just bought it so can't really afford to take it into a stealer, especially our local in rip off garage in Cardiff!

·
Littlemiss
7 Posts
Roof Leak 55 MCSC

Hi,

Mines the same, on the drivers side. I cant figure out why, but can see where its coming from. I was told to blow out the channel, but it appears that the rain isnt reaching the channel. I've attached some pics (they need some head turning to figure out which angel they were taken, which was sitting in the drivers seat looking up at the corner door seal).

I've been told that the seals are expensive & may not recitfy the problem. My theory revolves around the window dropping when opening and raising when closing...

I'd appriciate any comments.

Thx

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine was very similar and it turned out not to be anything to do with the seals at all. I compared how high my passenger window went compared to the drivers window. On the passenger side I could easily hook my fingernail over the top of the window. On the drivers side it was very difficult to do so I adjusted the passenger window so it went up a little higher. Leak stopped!

Only problem I have now is I think the actual roof needs some kind of sealing treatment on it because the rain actually seems to seep through the roof a little and it then drips onto the leather o the back seats. Roof probably needs some sort of oiling or a wax of some kind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Window/roof leak

I am having the same prob. My Mini Cooper s convertible has started leaking where the window meets the hinge on the passenger side. It runs down the door panel over the tweeter and the speaker and collects in the footwell soaking the carpet.
Can you tell me how you adjusted the window please? I want to avoid going to the garage if possible as trying to save money to buy a house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try reproofing the roof

Hi, I appreciate that this is an old thread but I came across it while trying to find the solution to getting a wet bum! I couldn't see anything wrong with my window or the seals on my 07 convertible but I cleaned and reproofed the roof with Auto Glym and it has solved the problem. The water now beads and runs straight off instead of soaking the fabric and constantly dripping. (Has worked whilst parked on slops and on the flat) It might not work for you, but worth a shot before spending money on a garage solution and it makes your mini's roof come up really good too!
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
mini convertible roof gap

My roof does not close tight against the windshield on the passenger side. It closes tight on the driver side with no gap but when fully closed the passenger side has about 1/4" gap between the front edge of the roof and the windshield. Is there an adjustment for this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well we've had our 55 plate convertible cooper s for all of a week and the weather turns bad. It poured down earlier and my wife came out of work, jumped in the car only to find it dripping quite a bit on the passenger side. It's dripping right where the roof meets the front windscreen.

I spent ages comparing both sides to see what the difference was and I have come to the conclusion that it's not closing tight enough. When I compare the drivers side to the passenger side the window on the drivers side goes up tight into the gap and you can't really get your fingernail on top of the glass pain. On the passenger side where it's leaking you can put your fingernail on top of the glass at the front where it's leaking quite easily, you can see the top of the glass without having to try too hard.. It looks like it just needs to go up an extra couple of millimetres. Either than or the very front of the roof needs to come down a tiny bit more. The back of the window seems to be up far enough.

So... what I'm hopping is that there is some minor adjustment in the roof to make the front pull down that little bit more.

Any hints or tips as to how I can get the window to seal up tighter? I assume there must be some adjustments on the roof I could tweak a little ?

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I can get it fixed quick, only just bought it so can't really afford to take it into a stealer, especially our local in rip off garage in Cardiff!
Hi just seen your post could you tell me how you adjusted your window please

1 - 7 of 7 Posts