MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving to work today, was just undertaking a car on a roundabout (oldish chap going very slowly - like 10 MPH) - not going very fast, was in 2nd or 3rd - can't really remember - anyways, all of a sudden Mini lost all grip. The road wasn't really wet - maybe a slight 'sheen' to it - just damp but no more than that. I hd this floaty 'oh sh*t' feeling for a few seconds, came off the power and Mini quickly got her grip back and kinda 'snapped' back to attention! Was a bit hairy for a few seconds :-\ Only other time I've had that kinda thing was one winter when I hit some black ice on a bend. Defo no ice today!

Oh well, at least I didn't hit anything - the kerb got a bit close :-( Think I might go for a lesson on a skid pan in the new year :)

G

·
Take a looksee at my post from last week. Some helpful comments.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78488

I'm still waiting for leeds scotthall to bother to get back to me for them to check it out. I called last wednesday and was told someone would get back to me. They didn't so i tried again on Thursday was told the same thing. Guess what still they haven't got back to me. Useless.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it was a combination of going round a corner & possible putting a bit too much power down too quick (although I really didn't think I had done that as I know the power kicks in a bit suddenly and it took me by surprised a few times when I first got the car) and something slippery on the road. Wasn't very nice :-( I don't want to start driving it round corners like it's gonna lose grip all the time but I'm defo gonna be more careful if the road looks even a tiny bit damp!

·
1xCooper & 2xClubmans...
155 Posts
Thanks basskiwi - have read your other thread with interest. :)

Wonder if this could have anything to do with the characteristics of the runflats when running in colder trmperatures? I noticed a significant increase in grip when the tyres were properly warm over the late summer, and now am experiencing some very different driving behaviour in my Cooper now the temps dropped and my drives have been limited to the 20 min daily commute... Maybe the runflats I have on ([email protected]'s - Pirelli?) are not so grippy when cold? The tread blocks might move differently? Or am I just talking b*ll*cks?! :p

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
sounds like Diesel Spill to me, roundabouts and skip lorries = slippery surfaces.

Castle Coombe to a really good skid control course , its good fun and teaches you exactly what to do. A great Christmas gift for a MINI driver:cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I should have said - I'm on the standard 15" wheels.

Castle coombe isn't far from me - might look into that :)

It defo felt like I hit something slippery - when Mini got her grip back she kinda grabbed hold of the road coz she had a bit of a wobble when it happened then she was fine! Bit scarey tho!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Slippery road

My crackpot theory about slippery roads.

All roads have some amount of oil either on them, or embedded in the surface. When the road surface is wet, these oils rise to float on the water. In a rain storm the oils quickly wash away. But if it's only very damp, lightly drizzling or worst of all have early morning condensation, the oils rise and don't get washed away. To me, this is a much more hazardous driving condition than going in a heavy rain. I have had more loss of traction episodes in such conditions than at any other time.

Rich

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
I have noticed the last few days that the roads seem particularly greasy,when pulling away from junctions even with a touch of accelerator i find the wheels wanting to spin.Perhaps its cos we had a relatively dry Nov and the tarmac hasn't been washed with rain,add early morning dew and you have a nice slippy surface.I must say that i put some of it down to the 17" wheels and runflats cos i used to have a classic mini with 13 " wheels on and that was so embarrassing in the snow cos it had no grip whereas the 10" wheels on the classic mini were always fantastic in the snow.I think it was more to do with the width of the tyres though cos a nice skinny tyre is more effective in the snow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Similar thing here - huge amounts of understeer at a roundabout last night in cold damp conditions. I put it down to cold runflats. Similar conditions tonight in my A3 and no understeer at all.

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
This is common at this time of year. I had the same thing last year and the same is happening this year. I did at first think it might be time to get some new tyres but they seem OK for at least another 5K to me. As has been said, I think it's a combination of very little rain and colder temperatures making the road more greasy and perhaps reducing the tyre performance. The lack of tyre squeal before that floaty feeling means that you're not in full contact with the road :eek:

Just take it a little easier - don't want any bumps and scraps at this time of year :(

·
Astro
295 Posts
TomUK23 said:
This happens to me all the time, it's coz i drive everywhere with my foot flat down, it's all part of the drive fast and keep your mini on the road fun challenge.
i used to think that as well mate, but the road got the better of me and i have a totalled mini now, just take care out there, becuase the mini will spin like a bullet...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually, winter traction has very little to do with runflats or not and very much to do with rubber compound. You need to use a softer compound in cold weather.

Standard (summer) tyres have a rubber compound that ensures optimal grip at summer temperatures. When the temperature creeps down below 10, the rubber hardens and provides less friction. Tests have shown that friction decreases noticeably already at 7 degrees. At 0 degrees, you're practically driving around on hockey pucks.

Get winter tyres. Not those "all-season tyres", proper winter tyres. You don't need studded ones unless you drive a lot on snow and ice, but a proper winter compound makes a world of difference.

Personally I use Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi 195/55 R16 (non-studded). See my gallery for a few pics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.