MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking to put Brembo/Zimmerman slotted and drilled rotors on my new MCSC. I've run them for a short period on my 02 MCS, but not long enough to know the answer to this question:

Is there a structural deficiency worth noting by drilling the rotors? If so, how 'hard' do I have to drive my brakes to have them crack? I don't do track (yet, anyway :) ) but tend to drive rather hard on the street, with 15% pulley and BMP intake.

I ask because in reading between the lines on all the web site descriptions and ads, they imply a potential problem. Mostly by saying the non-slotted/drilled won't present any structural problems.

TIA
David
DUCTTAPE

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Professionally drilled disc' (rotors) should not present a problem at all on Brembo or other quality products, its worth having a look to see if there is a slight chamfer on the holes, both sides of the discs. Its worth keeping the holes clean of brake dust otherwise heat dissipation is not so efficient and you might get some disc distortion with prolonged use. Unlikely unless you really drive the car hard and are heavy on the brakes.

·
Mini Mod
9,227 Posts
I've read a number of times that cross drilled brakes don't really offer much if any advantage over slotted only.
The main negative of drilled rotors is their tendency to heat check around the holes. This is somewhat reduced by chamfering, as mentioned above.
Brembos are factory drilled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts