MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I have a 05 Mini Copper S which I got in July. In September I had a slow puncture, the run flat indicator lit. I tried just pumbing it up to the correct pressure and reset the system. It then happened again a couple of weeks after, so I got the tyre replaced. Now two months after that the runflat indicator has lit and again the same tyre has dropped pressure. Now I cannot beleive over the course of 4 months I've had two punctures on the same tyre. Has anyone had the same problem, did it just turn out to be unfortunate that the tyre had punctured or is it something wrong with the alloy/valve, I dont know, does the tyre need replacing?

Please help as I don't wanna have to fork out another £160 again for another run flat tyre, there not cheap. It's hard to beleive the Run flat Firelli tyres are that crap ! I dont wanna just take it back for the dealer to say "oh you need that replacing, another £160 please :)" when its not the actual tyre.

Anyway let me know asap if you can as I would like to walk in to the dealer saying exactly what the problem is before they tell me they need to replace the trye.

Thank you in advance !

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
When it happened the first time, did they show you the leak? Did they put the wheel in water or apply a soap solution to the tyre, stem and bead areas and actually show you the leak?

It is possible, however unlikely, that there is a pinhole in the rim. A casting flaw that was not caught. Try and have them show you where the leak is.

Paul Mullett is correct that run-flats can be repaired if there is only a small puncture in the tread area of the tyre. The tyre will still need to be removed from the rim and the correct patch applied to the inside. It is not recommended to "plug" a run-flat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No they didn't show me where the puncture was. I took it to a Mini dealer I assumed they wouldn't replace the tyre if it didn't need to be. It hasn't down down since last week yet, touch wood, but if it does Iam taking it straight back to the same dealer and have them show me the puncture this time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Benzo said:
HI,

I have a 05 Mini Copper S which I got in July. In September I had a slow puncture, the run flat indicator lit. I tried just pumbing it up to the correct pressure and reset the system. It then happened again a couple of weeks after, so I got the tyre replaced. Now two months after that the runflat indicator has lit and again the same tyre has dropped pressure. Now I cannot beleive over the course of 4 months I've had two punctures on the same tyre. Has anyone had the same problem, did it just turn out to be unfortunate that the tyre had punctured or is it something wrong with the alloy/valve, I dont know, does the tyre need replacing?

Please help as I don't wanna have to fork out another £160 again for another run flat tyre, there not cheap. It's hard to beleive the Run flat Firelli tyres are that crap ! I dont wanna just take it back for the dealer to say "oh you need that replacing, another £160 please :)" when its not the actual tyre.

Anyway let me know asap if you can as I would like to walk in to the dealer saying exactly what the problem is before they tell me they need to replace the trye.

Thank you in advance !
Could be a £3 tyre valve?

Trust the dealers about as far as you could throw the showroom.
They make more money from aftermarket sales than from selling cars.

·
Passion is Motoring
7 Posts
If the puncture isn't in the sidewall it can be patched for about US$20 which is a good deal. Be very careful driving on a deflated run-flat as the sidewall wears quickly. Then, there's nothing to do but replace the tire. A good shop will show you the puncture (size and location) and make appropriate recommendations. A sleazy shop will show you a gigantic hole in the tire they keep in the back room -- tell you it was your tire and you're lucky to be alive. It should be simple to figure out which shop you have.

·
Registered
336 Posts
MukiMunki said:
Could be a £3 tyre valve?

Trust the dealers about as far as you could throw the showroom.
They make more money from aftermarket sales than from selling cars.
Ironically I now have a slow puncture.

No doubt my dealer was putting nails under my tyres after I made that comment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.