MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that every traffic jam I come upon is due to a mini-van or SUV doing the speed limit or less in the left lane. How and Why does this happen?

I remember that the signs here in the states used to say:

"Left Lane, Passing Only"

Now those are all gone and you occasionally see signs saying"

"Slower Traffic Keep Right"

There seems to be a fundamental difference between the two.

This seems to have engendered some problems.

When did this happen, and what can we to solve The Probblem?

I ass u me you understand what The Problem is....

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
Not much we can do, I'm afraid.
Drivers here will become progressively worse as time wears on. The only thing we might be able to do is to have more strict rules and requirements in order to get a liscence(like in Germany).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am thinking of buying a junk car and just letting people crash into me everytime they make a mistake, instead of me getting out of the way, as they usually do.

Then I would just get out of the car, take out the picnic table, the tv, the laptop and shout to them

I've got all day, hopefully we can teach you driving 101

·
Registered
144 Posts
Johnny225 said:
Not much we can do, I'm afraid.
Drivers here will become progressively worse as time wears on. The only thing we might be able to do is to have more strict rules and requirements in order to get a liscence(like in Germany).

It's more profitable to be strict on speed limits than to set and enforce requirements that require any actual skill...

Rawhyde

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
At least here in the northeast, it is very true. Everyone is in a rush. Everyone thinks they are the fastest car on the road, even if they are that toyota minivan doing a whopping 7mph over the limit. Very often the far right lane is completely open and the way to go if you really want to pass. I don't like doing it but when the left two lanes are dangerously clogged for no reason, why wouldn't you take the right two lanes, with 10x the following distance and greater speed? Nono ignore all that, please keep driving in the left lane and keep the right lane clear for me :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good to hear that it's not only over here that this happens.
I remember somebody telling me about a journey she'd had with another woman driver.

"She was a really good driver. On the motorway she got into that middle lane - and NOTHING would move her".

I think this goes a good way to explaining part of the problem.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think that we should be more like the faster cars on the Autobahn. If you are in the passing lane, and you are approaching a slower car that is in the "passing lane", you should start flashing your high beams and get right up on his bumper while you continue to flash and use your horn , as required, until he finally gets the message. WHAT PART OF "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND??? Perhaps we should start with emphasising reading comprehension in our school system? Don't get me started..... :confused:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, thanks for the tip on the National Motorist Assoctiation website. It has a good history of the problem, and some ideas and tips on dealing with those left lane sluggards.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tom D said:
I think that we should be more like the faster cars on the Autobahn. If you are in the passing lane, and you are approaching a slower car that is in the "passing lane", you should start flashing your high beams and get right up on his bumper while you continue to flash and use your horn , as required, until he finally gets the message. WHAT PART OF "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT" DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND??? Perhaps we should start with emphasising reading comprehension in our school system? Don't get me started..... :confused:
Flashing your lights at another car while overtaking is illegal in Germany...that being said everybody still does it. What I usually do is turn my left turn signal on and if that doesn't get there attention a quick flash from the high beems does. I always check around for the polizei before I do this though. ;) I do not however tailgate...to me this is insane especially if i'm at 120+ mph...you simply can't react fast enough if something happens.

I must say that I do enjoy driving over hear...you hardly run into yahoos like you do in the states that camp in the left lane. One thing is for sure hardly no one ever passes on the right. Most of the German drivers are quite good about getting out of the left lane when they are done passing whatever is in front of them.

·
Sitting on a park bench..
1,183 Posts
Guysdaman said:
Flashing your lights at another car while overtaking is illegal in Germany...that being said everybody still does it. What I usually do is turn my left turn signal on and if that doesn't get there attention a quick flash from the high beems does. I always check around for the polizei before I do this though. ;) I do not however tailgate...to me this is insane especially if i'm at 120+ mph...you simply can't react fast enough if something happens.

I must say that I do enjoy driving over hear...you hardly run into yahoos like you do in the states that camp in the left lane. One thing is for sure hardly no one ever passes on the right. Most of the German drivers are quite good about getting out of the left lane when they are done passing whatever is in front of them.
Even in other countries like the UK and Spain I've found a huge improvement over the US in terms of driving "correctly", wish it were the same over here.

Guysdaman, saw a show about the Autobahn recently which reiterated the high beam flick is illegal, also said that hand gestures are too? Wouldn't that be interesting over here ;)

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
This is one of my biggest bugbears with driving in the US.
Worse scenario is when you get one car overtaking another at around 0.0001mph faster :rolleyes:
Basically you have a rolling road block :mad:

At least here in the UK people are fairly disciplined with lane use, however a recent study showed if everybody correctly moved to the slow lane when possible it would free up around 25-30% of motorway space :)

Shame there's no real campaign to encourage it though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
As an add-on to Guysdaman:

There's still plenty of people that camp on the left lane - but its by far not as bad as in the states due to two reasons:

1. We are still fortunate (knock on wood) to have plenty of higway without speed limits. Therefore the more intelligent left-lane-campers will know its actually dangerous if you're too slow on that lane.

2. For exactly that same reason the police is after those campers as well. You can get pretty nice tickets and points for camping - which is a good thing IMHO

BTW flashing at cars is illegal but somewhat accepted, to kindly remind people to change lanes (as long as they have room to do it) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It's so funny to find this thread :p I feel like I just found a support group for my driving frustration! :D

The clogged left lane thing is really frustrating, it happens here all the time. I've also noticed what jwardell said: the right lane is the new left lane! :p Has anybody ever had the two-cars-side-by-side thing where they know you want to get around them and be on your way but they just won't let you? :mad: :p Gosh that irks me!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, yea, the rolling road block is almost becoming an institution here on the East Coast of the U.S., espeially when tractor trailers and mini vans are involved.

It seems like a lot of mini van owners just don't get it: driving next to an 18 wheeler with your cruise control set at 68.7 mph is not just stupid, because you're camped on the left lane and blocking traffic, it's dangerous: the 18W drivers can't see you (try sitting in one for just a minute or two if you get a chance--HUGE blind spots), but they tend to sway at high speeds, due to wind gusts, curves, inattentive drivers, blown tires, or occasionally-locking air brake systems (you've never lived until you've seen an 18W with its rear wheels locked up at 70 mph...right in front of you).

I guess the message is that once an 18 wheeler has rolled over your mini van and shoved it off the interstate in flames, it does not matter that you are a self-righteous left-lane abider of the speed limit.

As I say to my kids, "you should either go fast or go slow--don't do both--pass or get off the pot!"

I've got some great pictures of my wife in her MINI in the left lane, driving next to a Corvette in the right lane, taken from my MINI in the right lane, with a sea of SUVs and mini vans stretching out in front of us as we all just try to roll down the highway. I'll post one as soon as I get them developed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The minivan and suv drivers are usually so involved with their cellphone conversations, that they don't have a clue. Flashing my lights usually results in my getting flipped off. Gallagher, the comedian, used to have a driving section in his routine where he said that each car should have a cannon for firing arrows with a red flag at one end and a suction cup at the other. Just blast people who drive stupidly, and police would be required to give anyone sporting 5 or more flags a ticker for beinf an idiot. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Of all the states I have driven in, Florida must be the worst. I can always tell when I enter into Florida, because the moment you cross the border the left lane is always loaded with not only minivans and suvs, but also motorhomes...thousands of them...and not one of them is close to the speed limit. In Florida, drivers either camp the left lane at 5 mph under the speed limit, or weave around them doing 3 lane merges without turn signals at 20+ over the limit.

Maybe in the states we should just switch to driving on the left side of the road. Since the campers seem clueless to others trying to pass, it will take them years to realize they will need to move back to the right to start camping the passing lane again. And then we can just do a ten year rotation!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great idea on the "Right Lane, Passing Only"!

My wife noticed when we moved back to the states that we can actually make better progress much of the time by just cruising along in the right lane--particularly on 6-lane highways (3 lanes in each direction). It's easier to slalom into the center lane to let someone enter the roadway (exhibiting lane courtesy, always--MINI drivers MUST SET A GOOD EXAMPLE!), and then roll back into the right lane, then it is to get hemmed into the left lane and left with no options!

And I have to admit, only about one out of three drivers moves to the right lane when I flash my brights; out of the other two, one flips me the bird, and the other seems to go into "Lane Lock Self Righteous Mode."

An interesting psychological study...

btw--I like the red arrow idea. How about paint balls?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
2phun said:
Of all the states I have driven in, Florida must be the worst.
Yea, we get all the worst drivers from up north ending up in Florida.

Not like wine, Driving doesn't get better with age.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
try living in australia.....
the main freeway from melbourne to sydney is 3 or 4 lanes wide for about 400km's out of melbourne, very well made, designed for traffic flowing at 140km/h or so, but has a 110km/h limit, and people will plonk in the right hand land (i.e. overtaking lane) for hours on end, even if the left hand lane is completely empty....

oh, and in a 110km/h zone, you can be booked at 113km/h, and lose your licence for a month at 125km/h...... and it's very heavily policed....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts