MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've finally decided on a 2007 Mini Cooper S, Chili Red with Black Roof :D. It's only done 4,000 miles.

Picked it up first thing this morning & i love it.....apart from one thing:

There is a strong smell of petrol when i turn the ignition on. It's done it pretty much all day. Anyone have any ideas at all? It can't be normal :(

I'm going to ring the dealer up in the morning.

·
Living in Mini Wasteland
351 Posts
4000 miles and counting. I have smelled gas several times. Sometimes outside the car, and sometimes inside the car. This is not assocaited with a full tank or an empty tank. Nor is it associated with just starting the car, or driving the car for a long time. I haven't found any pattern to the odor. I thought that I read something about this in another thread, but I can't find it.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Mine (Dec 06 MCS) was the same two weeks ago, trip to dealers required as you probably need a new fuel pump. i had a new one and the smell has gone. if you leave it the smell will only get worse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys all :)

The dealer is picking it up tomorrow on the wagon & fitting a new fuel pump. I'll be picking it up Wednesday. Sure that should do the trick :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have smelt it a couple of times but after putting fuel but it went after bout 10mins is this likely to be the same or jst something superficial from filling up, not actually fillling it tho (poor student lol)
rochie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have smelt it a couple of times but after putting fuel but it went after bout 10mins is this likely to be the same or jst something superficial from filling up, not actually fillling it tho (poor student lol)
rochie
Not really sure. I haven't has to put petrol in yet. The dealer filled mine up when i bought it, then filled it back up again when it went for the new fuel pump......very nice of them.

I only had the petrol smell when i started the ignition when the engine was warm. From a cold start, there was no smell.

·
Registered
120 Posts
smell of petrol

I have has a smell of petrol when engine has been run for some time. Not thought much of it til I read this.

Thanks,
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts