MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Today my Mini Countryman R60 D all4 did a lot of smoke (oil smell) from the back of the engine. Sometimes I smell the similar stuff inside the cabin but today I sow the smoke. Anyone had a similar problems?

Thanks

Attached the video

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
how many miles has it done, might find its just done a dpf regen ie it clears out the soot my turning the dpf filter in exhaust in to a furnace when it does this it heats up to around 500-600c for 30 minutes ish and kicking in when on longer runs,,
or could be injector leaking would deffo get ot looked at asap

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I discovered that there is a oil leack on the back of the engine near the DPF... But this space Is to tiny and it is almost impossible to see where it came from.

Maybe was a DPF clean but this smoke smell like burned oil and, I think, it was not normal.

By the way this car had a lot of problems when I need to take a steep climb, when the engine run at 1000-1500 rev in 1st gear. I need to use a lot of friction. The engine seems not to have enough strength. :confused:

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
maybe your turbo has done its self in and is now not boosting the car will also be in limp mode as well,, the turbo is near where you have oil leak might be turbo failure or oil feed to or from it,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The turbos seems to work well. I did not have problems on normal street. Only during the climb... But I had this problem
since I purchased this used car

I will take an appointment with my mechanic ASAP. I hope this problem is simple to fix

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi, exactly same issue I have with my R60 2011 Cooper SD All4!! mine is in the garage also this morning so I will let you know and if you find anything then please let me know..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sow, and I'm not happy for you. I need to wait for a long garage queue. I hope I can fix my car soon.

Yesterday I was in the garage and they say: There is leaking oil on the back of the motor. This oil drain into the manifold of the exhaust/DPF. When the exhaust/DPF is so hot, especially during the cleaning time, this oil burn. They don't understand very well where the oil came from.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
I sow, and I'm not happy for you. I need to wait for a long garage queue. I hope I can fix my car soon.

Yesterday I was in the garage and they say: There is leaking oil on the back of the motor. This oil drain into the manifold of the exhaust/DPF. When the exhaust/DPF is so hot, especially during the cleaning time, this oil burn. They don't understand very well where the oil came from.
below video could explain it , heat and plastics nuts

Reactions: mycoo

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
ie its same engine as mini made in same factory's same design

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
How Bizzare Mike as that is the part that my Garage just replaced and it all seems ok for now fingers crossed!!!
its just another badly thought about design from them,, the problem is the designers who design these things dont tend to be time served techs who have seen failures from bad design in the real world i think, then add to the demands form their shareholders ie max income for min outlay and design a few parts that cost pennies to produce as a failure point outside the warranty time generates work for workshops and parts sales good for making money but trouble is by doing this more and more people now avoid some cars like the clap,, i owned many bmw cars over the years and all pre 2006 cars were fairly bullet proof,, where when the EU decided that pollution is a bit thing and all cars must have all kinds of expensive add on filters and cats and sensors and breather system to comply to their rules, maybe car makers thought great now we can build to to fail and also design it so can use all these pollution items as being why they fail so early, which to be honest mist of what goes wrong with a car i feel from working on everything out there most have a linked issue with these pollution beating add on's,,, ie make cars lighter helps these figures so excuse to use plastics that dont like heat and oil much and age badly, then add bike size timing chains and then add friction reduced pistons and bores to induce oil burning and that cause blow past when cold so the fuel goes in to oil this wears metal parts out etc,, the latest n18 engines use nylon coated nitride oil control rings hmmm not good for long term..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right now the main problem of my car is a consistent oil leak near the DPF. The bottom of the motor is full of oil dirty. This oil came from the back of the motors more or less where the smoke came from.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Right now the main problem of my car is a consistent oil leak near the DPF. The bottom of the motor is full of oil dirty. This oil came from the back of the motors more or less where the smoke came from.
common are that breather pipe, rocker cover gasket, also turbo oil feed pipe or return pipe or turbo's failure where the seals within it have failed,, best way to find it is to clean off the area completely clean then take for a drive see where the fresh oil is coming from,,, no point looking for a oil leak when everywhere is covered in old oil all needs to be cleaned off ,, i use brake cleaner and and brush and rag or two get it clean then run it for a hour see what you have and from where,

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah Rocker cover done but breather pipe was NOT replaced that time.. so when took it to a proper garage :) the pip replaced so see what happens.. unfortunately now they have confirmed that the timing chain is getting a bit noisey and will need replacing.. 115k on the clock so not sure when to get it done if at all!

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Yeah Rocker cover done but breather pipe was NOT replaced that time.. so when took it to a proper garage :) the pip replaced so see what happens.. unfortunately now they have confirmed that the timing chain is getting a bit noisey and will need replacing.. 115k on the clock so not sure when to get it done if at all!
115k is on the top side of what they last done well, most cop it around 80k if its getting noisy if were mine would either trade it in or sort asap as once they get start its not long until jump teeth and believe me they do so much damage most engines dont repair without head and pistons at least

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
common are that breather pipe, rocker cover gasket, also turbo oil feed pipe or return pipe or turbo's failure where the seals within it have failed,, best way to find it is to clean off the area completely clean then take for a drive see where the fresh oil is coming from,,, no point looking for a oil leak when everywhere is covered in old oil all needs to be cleaned off ,, i use brake cleaner and and brush and rag or two get it clean then run it for a hour see what you have and from where,
I fixed the first big oil leak from the timing chain cover and from rocker cover gasket 4 months ago and was so expensive. This kind of motor is a nightmare. No space. It is almost impossible to see the back of the motors. There is 3-5 cm space. My mechanic cleans it but is still not possible to see where it came from. Maybe I need to get the motor out again. I'm so angry.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
I fixed the first big oil leak from the timing chain cover and from rocker cover gasket 4 months ago and was so expensive. This kind of motor is a nightmare. No space. It is almost impossible to see the back of the motors. There is 3-5 cm space. My mechanic cleans it but is still not possible to see where it came from. Maybe I need to get the motor out again. I'm so angry.
would help to remove the plastics and baulk head plastics as well might help to get in there a bit better its a big motor in a tiny car,, they also are prone to swirl flaps on the inlet manifolds they wear and then leak oil residue from pcv breather form crankcase, £550 ish for new inlet manifold and best part of £300 in labour from main stealers,, its a disgrace of a engine to be honest especially from a meant to be a prestige company like bmw , i bought bmw cars all my life stopped around 2007 was my last new one and had same engine as yours and had all these issue with under 70k on it,, and bmw warranty was 6 months out and they just twisted and turned and never fixed it,, then a few years later bbc watch dog program high lighted it all, bmw answered it with owners fault low oil levels drive abuse and they had non come back on warranty with chain issues etc, and that all online comments form owners and their poor made cars were just fake news kind of thing etc,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:

• oil leak again from Rocker Cover - 2 months ago I changed all the gasket without success - 95% of the oil leak came from this part
  • oil leak from turbo oil pipes - 5%
  • a smoke leak from collector - manifold turbo. The previous owner forgot to add some of the gaskets
IMG-20200228-WA0005.jpg IMG-20200228-WA0002.jpg IMG-20200228-WA0004.jpg IMG-20200228-WA0003.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Again... Smoke from DFP during regeneration. I think oil leak from rocket cover again.

I changed the gasket 2 times.... the last time I used OEM gasket + silicon glue. I'm getting crazy.

Is it possible an cover gasket plastic deformation?

@mike1967 what do you think about?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
i know they are a nightmare to say the least . i turned one away last week from a garage who got lost with it,, i did diagnose it for them was high pressure fuel pump related and gear box out to get access,
i went through your last messages on it missed one thing the first time where you said exhaust leak due to past owner not putting all gaskets back in place,,, that just makes me wonder it was so far a part at some point why was it, was if due to chain failure or turbo failure,, if turbo failure why did it fail,, ie if your dpf filter very blocked and the car is trying to clear it all the time if so and this is happening all the time this could back up what i say that maybe its knocking out another turbo maybe,,just throwing it out there open mind and all that, even known turbos to wear and cause very high crankcase pressures and this pushes oil past seals etc,, or another one is blocked dpf filter causing blow past and un burnt diesel getting in to engine oil so common with partially blocked dpf,, as diesel dpf engine spray a shot of fuel in to a exhaust stoke to turn the exhaust in to furnace 600-1000c to burn off soot, trouble is the filter has a life span around 75000 miles, the n47 has a fairly small filter as well,,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts