MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, Im new on here but will put up a proper 'newbie' post soon, Just thought you'd be intrested to see what iv been up to this week.

Took it upon myself to split my headlights, sand them down and paint them satin black.
What i thought would have took an hour, Actually took 4 hours, 3 headlights and a stab in the wrist from a burning hot stanley knife.
But, Got it done and happy with them...

Before

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mini Motor vehicle

After

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mini Motor vehicle

Before

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mini

After

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Headlamp

Also, When your in the middle of heating up a headlight in the oven, Dont answer the phone.....Luckily i had a spare.:lol:

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Looks great :)

I remember when I saw Pobsey's car on a run last year I thought that the smoked look was awesome.

·
Banned
305 Posts
THAT looks really COOL! :cool:
I would love to have that look on my R56 as i have a black and white theme with check going on. can you give more details how you do it? And what about the rear lenses?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When i read up how to do it, People were saying it straight forward, I found this to be far from the truth. You have to heat the whole unit up and slowly seperate the base from the glass front. Cant pry to hard or it will crack. Took me around an hour to seperate each light. Then you have to remove the bit you are painting which is also a pain in the arse as it is quite fragile.

PAUL: Why would it? Its a cosmetic part that has been painted, Not a functional peice of reflector. Iv got HID's fitted anyway so wouldnt notice, But it hasnt affected these in anyway either. Like i siad, Its not blocking light and its not stopping it being reflected either.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ah that makes more sense now, i was thinking exact same thing as Paul.

Nice effect, thinking this might look quite good on my DS/B.

·
The de Chromed MINI
3,218 Posts
When i read up how to do it, People were saying it straight forward, I found this to be far from the truth. You have to heat the whole unit up and slowly seperate the base from the glass front. Cant pry to hard or it will crack. Took me around an hour to seperate each light. Then you have to remove the bit you are painting which is also a pain in the arse as it is quite fragile.
The newer the light the easier it is to split, mine were less than a year old and I pulled them apart, without the oven and using just my bare hands, I had both split and painted and back together in about 90 minutes, :D:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts