MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered their MINI without the smoker’s pack. I did and found when I took delivery of my car that I didn’t have a 12v socket in the boot. Whitehouse MINI in Sidcup Kent were as surprised as me but I have had no luck getting the problem rectified. They even said they have supplied other MINIs without the smokers pack and all have had power sockets in the boot.

They booked my car in to have the socket fitted but they told me that there was no wiring for the socket. I found it incredibly hard to believe that I had a unique wiring loom and BMW customer care called me to tell me that because I didn’t have the smokers pack I didn’t get the socket in the boot and that there was no wiring there. I pointed out that it was listed as a separate “feature” in the brochure and was not related in any way to smoking (unless you regularly sit in the boot to smoke a fag). I am still totally unconvinced but need help from other non smoker pack owners to get any action from BMW.

Before this happened I was full of praise for my dealer, but I have been fobbed off and ignored throughout.

HELP pleeeease!

:mad:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Sounds like you really are being fobbed off...:(

I took delivery of my ONE in October. When I ordered it the brochure was just a gleam in the milkman's eye and the no smoking option wasn't available.

To the best of my knowledge, the brochure now lists a NO SMOKING option rather than a smoking one (or am I getting a little confused at your description?)..:confused:

Mine came with all the ashtrays and cig lighter in the front AND the power socket in the rear. I was told that if I wanted the no smoking option it basically consisted of a replacement plasic cap (similar to the one in the boot) which covered up the lighter socket, and they took your ashtrays and lighter away!

That said, I can't think of an occasion when I'd need two power points in the car and most car accessories are geared towards the one power point being on the dash, so tyre compressors etc tend to have loads of wiring to compensate.

either way, they should fit this for you for free if it's what you ordered..

·
Registered
888 Posts
Firstly - why would you delete the smokers pack? I don't smoke, and wont let anyone smoke in my car - but as Dogger said, the "no smoking" option seemed to consist of them removing the lighter and ashtray and giving you nothing in return! Gee thanks!!

The POWER POINT in the boot is just that - nothing to do with smoking! Why ON EARTH would they not fit it!?!? My car has the 15" tyres and the power point is crucial to power the tyre inflator thats in the boot bottom as part of the "MMS" system - Mini Mobility System - which is a joke anyway - if I get a blow out in the highlands out of mobile phone range in my Mini I'm completely stuffed...

- Rob & Charlie

·
Registered
334 Posts
I asked about something similar to this somewhere else on the site.... I've got a chili Cooper with the no smoking option. There's a blank-capped power point in my boot (on the LHS). BMW customer care are telling porkies!!!

kjs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dogger said:
I was told that if I wanted the no smoking option it basically consisted of a replacement plasic cap (similar to the one in the boot) which covered up the lighter socket, and they took your ashtrays and lighter away!

That's what my dealer told me as well when I ordered the car. They said the ashtray and lighter would be removed by them.

I wanted to put a cool box in the boot, which needs a socket and I don't fancy trailing a cable all the way to the dash.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can't quite remember what the bit of the boot where the socket is looks like, but isn't it on the plastic bit on the left hand side, towards the top? If it is on the plastic bit, isn't there a hole there where the socket should be?????? (btw there's no lighting up ring around the socket in the boot, unlike around the a "no-smoker" lighter socket up front). But, if your dealers been looking for it with you, I'm surprised it hasn't revealed itself! But no wires, that's strange.............

Of course it could be the socket that unbalances the car and causes the pull to the left:) :) :)

kjs

·
Registered
172 Posts
No Porkies

No Porkies are being told here.......that is just what it is, delete the smokers pack and youlose the socket in the boot which is totally stupid as you need it for the mobility pack. I know of 2 misbuilt cars with Smokers Pack on and no boot socket
Worst of all......the required parts are NOT listed on the dealers Electronic Parts Catalogue so if they say they can't order the parts then they are not lying, there is no number for the wiring loom which is an additional loom extension

All I can suggest is kick up a stink with customer services and your dealer working on the fact that it is essential to the mobility system and they have no argument. They will auto issue the dealer with the parts to retrofit this to your car and yes....the loom can be got separately even though there is no part number for it......they just take the loom off the line

how do I know ??......that would be telling......don't ask

·
Registered
334 Posts
Bizarre.... so how come I've got a socket in my boot on a no-smoking pack? or is the allocation of sockets a bit random.....? one for you, two for you, oh dear, none for you, etc......
kjs

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't smoke either, but the ash tray is a handy place to keep spare change for the toll booths or parking meters. The lighter socket is handy for a lot of things. When I store one of my vehicles for a few months, I have a trickle charger (100 milliamps current regulated) that plugs into the lighter socket to keep the battery up. The socket is also handy for a car vacuum, cell phone, laptop computer, etc. It would make more sense to leave the lighter sockets in place and just cover them with a plastic flap. Then if the customer wanted a lighter sometime in the future, they could charge through the nose for one with a MINI logo on it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
mr.bill said:
I don't smoke either, but the ash tray is a handy place to keep spare change for the toll booths or parking meters. The lighter socket is handy for a lot of things. When I store one of my vehicles for a few months, I have a trickle charger (100 milliamps current regulated) that plugs into the lighter socket to keep the battery up. The socket is also handy for a car vacuum, cell phone, laptop computer, etc. It would make more sense to leave the lighter sockets in place and just cover them with a plastic flap. Then if the customer wanted a lighter sometime in the future, they could charge through the nose for one with a MINI logo on it.
The ashtray just slots into the cupholder, so you still have a place to put your change/gum/mobile phone (there's a photo on another thread somewhere). The *sockets* are still there (at least on my car I have one in the boot and one up front both with plastic covers). Why David's socket in the boot has never been fitted is odd. Wouldn't the plastic trim that it is mounted in be moulded with the hole for the socket in situ, rather than drilling it out? Any ideas Chip?????

kjs

·
Registered
172 Posts
kjs & Dave

The two cars I have seen so far have had the hole in the ns boot trim panel and are fitted with a blanking plug but when you remove this there is just a hole, and no socket, so retrofit has been reasonably easy if a little time consuming I believe. So, there is no drilling of the panels required.

There does seem to be some haphazard fitting of these sockets though as you have a non-smoker pack and a socket. I guess this is a case of those people on the line misinterpreting the build codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to get on to my dealer again tomorrow.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Can't say I've read the brochure recently, but any chance it might be because it's a ONE not a Cooper? Does the ONE come with a socket in the boot as standard?

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I think the idea is that those with 15" wheels come with the socket in the boot so that the MINI Mobility System compressor can be powered. This is not needed on 16" because of the runflats.

·
Registered
247 Posts
But then how do you keep your beers chilled in the summer??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Varse said:
But then how do you keep your beers chilled in the summer??
Exactly, that's why I'm so p****d off about it! At least they've got a few months to sort it out :)

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
I just found out I have a hole where the 12V socket should have been in the boot.

As Mr DK will be using the 12V socket in the front for his laptop, I shall need one in the boot to charge up my cool box/fridge. Or let Mr DK have a printer in the boot :rolleyes:

So there are times when 1x12V socket is just not enough :D :D :D

E.mail on its way to my dealer requesting for retro fit of the socket. And yes, I did ask for non-smoker package and had not read this thread until now :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dora ;)

·
Registered
808 Posts
smokers pack

As far as I know, No smokers pack = no boot socket.
The mini mobility pack may be an exception but i'll have to find out.
Cars with blanking plates in the rear quarter case, instead of a socket, do have different wire looms so the socket cables will not be there.

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
MOBILITY REPORT #69

Mad Professor DC has just tested the compressor that comes with the MINI mobility kit; and it's implication with no boot socket.

He has runflats and a boot socket, but being a true nerd, bought the compressor as back up to adjust/inflate the tyres in an emergency.

He found that the lead in the compressor was long enough to use on both front and rear tyres. He thinks that people probably thought they'd wind the power lead from the cigarette lighter socket around the car.

His study has found a simple cost free solution:

OPEN THE DOORS AND/OR WINDOWS!

Et Voila! Simple and free advice.

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
Your thoughts please!

I have non smoker pack and 17in runflats.

If what's been said is true, that

i) non-smoker pack = no boot socket
ii) runflats = no boot socket

then my car has been built right as I do not have a boot socket.

Any anomalies were likely to mis-builts and those of you have run flats and/or non-smoker pack with a 12V socket in boot should count yourselves lucky.

The spiral bound brochure did indicate a 12V socket in the boot is supplied as standard.

It can be retro fitted at a cost of 127.20 GBP + VAT (about 149.46 GBP total), and it may be reduced to 40+ GBP + VAT if the wiring is already in place.

Knowing my luck, I would probably end up paying the full amount! I would have paid the extra and have it built into the car had I known about this beforehand.

Lesson to be learnt - check your spec very carefully and re-confirm items listed as "standard" will be supplied as "standard" when adding/deleting optional extras!!!

Dora :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts