MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, this is my first modern mini and it's a 2007 Cooper s that was advertised as a jcw. However it's not but it looks nice! However it does have a problem with smoking, it's a terrible habit that I want it to quit. Now it goes well, well good for me although I did drive a octavia 1.9tdi! And it doesn't smoke until it has warmed up, it also doesn't smoke while cruising on the throttle, but come off the throttle it bellows out and while ticking over it smokes and stays that way until your cruising on the throttle.
It has 77,000 on the clock and has a aem intake and a airtec intercooler and a miltek decat.
Now I have not done a compression test but was told it was 160 on all cylinders, and when I am off I plan to install a occ and give it a walnut blasting.
My question is what do you fine folks think is up with it? Turbo? Oil seals? Pcv valve?
Many thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
will be valve stem seals at very least, carbon on bores and worn rings most likely as well,, or should say while head off would clean valves and and re seat them and stick a set of rings in at same time would also do timing chain at same time ,,
what i would try first off is put seafoam in engine oil to clean system out this will clean any crud in rings and any carbon on the bores surfaces, run it with 1/2 can for couple of hours before draining it first time,, i run my cars on 1/4 can when i out new oil in so it cleans as drive for next 8k , link below of a under 60k car

Reactions: scooterist007

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for that, I will leave taking the head off until I know it needs to come off, the chain was replaced around 60k ish, I have ordered some seafoam and should be arriving today, I will put some in with the oil, I also have some walnut shell blast media coming today as well, so I will give the inlet tract a blasting, I did think about changing the stem seals without taking the head off, never done it before with the head on so will be a learning experience!

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
i've done them head on before its a mission to say the least,, you could try STP stop leak worth a punt as the stem seals go hard as engine runs so hot all the time by design and rubber suffers from it, add this to oil and over 1000 miles might sort it some do some dont worth a punt,, it also helps cam lifter when they rattle i have found,, the cooper s n14 engines get hammered and it all gets a hard life for sure,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been so busy with work, I haven't had the time to do anything yet, but I did put some seafoam in the oil today and I took off the inlet pipe to the turbo so I could see if there was any play in the turbine which was fine, but I did notice a lot of oil in the mouth of the pipe, I presume this is coming from the pcv valve? From what I understand, one side of the pcv valve that goes to the inlet of the turbo is open when ticking over, and the other side of the pcv valve that goes towards the inlet manifold is the throttle open side, is this correct? Also if there was lots of oil in the pipe going to the inlet of the turbo mean that there could be oil in the intercooler? Is this a failing pcv valve or too much crankcase pressure? I do have a oil catch can which I will fit tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts